Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espańol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Next man up

Unfortunate IMO, much of our talent is negated by the horrible luck we have had on the OL. Losing a starting LT and LG in the prime of their careers just sucks. Would be one thing if they were old and it was time to replace them in the near future anyway... but the effort we had to put into that (and failed) met that we couldn’t afford to upgrade other issues on the OL. If we could fix that we could be contenders if Rivers were to turn things around… I don’t know if he will but his contract buys him a chance… especially with how weak of a QB draft class I hear this is… but I don’t know college ball. w

As long as the pats have Brady and an OL that can give him time to scan the field they are contenders... they made the playoffs in some alleged rebuilding seasons.
Despite all of this... the only team to win two Super Bowls in AJ's tennure has been the Giants... they haven't been a dominate team but they won when it counted. We tend to win when it is meaningless...

Steelers and Ravens have been perennial contenders… but they are getting older in key positions.

Still teams in the NFL rise and fall all the time… every year there is a surprise horrible team and a surprise “where did they come from?” team. The window for this season was slamed shut obviously… I think there is a chance we open it next season but it will take the right signings, at the right places, at the right price, and a whole lot of luck (something we have lacked recently…) for that to happen.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
People are making this more complicated then it actually is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
Rivers has never needed an elite offensive line or a special crafted offense around him, he just needs guys who can actually start in the NFL on the offensive line. 3/5 of our line aren't NFL starting caliber, I don't care if it was Tom Brady back there, you aren't going to be very consistent playing behind that line.

Even when he has time he is making bad decisions. You are 100% right that he is not a mobile QB and asking him to play with this line is like asking Darren Sproles to switch from a quick elusive back to a power guy.
Still Rivers contract buys him a chance as I said in my last post. If he has time there is a chance that he can go back to the guy who keeps the team serviceable despite horrible units elsewhere and completes passes to 17 different players, making tutu look like an NFL star.

I hear a lot about rhythm in football... and I got to wonder how many times any QB, no matter how talented or mentally strong, can make one read and then see pressure from somewhere with no pocket to step into before he starts trying to make plays himself even if it means taking very high risk ones. If the rhythm is make one read then evade pressure... it would be tough not to try to make the near impossible throws.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Hahaha. Exactly. 2.1 gigawatts, and we're Super Bowl champs!
That's 1.21 gigawatts!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran

Since we're probably rebuilding and a few years away, it might be good timing.

Considering Brady is 35 and Peyton is 36 and the Steelers are getting older, we might have a shot at getting through to the Super Bowl with a mostly new team a few years from now.

Then again, it might be a new crop of teams that are the AFC powerhouses, like Indy, Cincy, and Houston.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM
All-Pro

To be honest, the goal of an organization is to put a product on the field that wins, whatever the football circumstances. A matter of timing/luck shouldn't be the main factor. It shouldn't matter that Manning and Brady are in their primes, Pittsburgh/Baltimore have great defenses, etc. The key shouldn't be to wait until they get old to make a move and get a ring. Just build a better team. The league as a whole more times than not will reload. If it's no longer Manning, Brady, and Brees it'll be Rg3 and Rodgers they'll have to/maybe deal with.

Bad timing is dealt with by getting superior talent in the draft and FA, as well as implementing a coaching staff/system that will be effective and result in winning when it matters.

Last edited by physicsgeek; 12-27-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsgeek View Post
To be honest, the goal of an organization is to put a product on the field that wins, whatever the football circumstances. A matter of timing/luck shouldn't be the main factor. It shouldn't matter that Manning and Brady are in their primes, Pittsburgh/Baltimore have great defenses, etc. The key shouldn't be to wait until they get old to make a move and get a ring. Just build a better team. The league as a whole more times than not will reload. If it's no longer Manning, Brady, and Brees it'll be Rg3 and Rodgers they'll have to/maybe deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsgeek View Post
Bad timing is dealt with by getting superior talent in the draft and FA, as well as implementing a coaching staff/system that will be effective and result in winning when it matters.

This is all valid... even if hypothetically the next generation of QBs isn't half of what this one was... whoever the best is will be viewed as a great of his time. (I think that QB is a position that is getting better overall, but it is the hypothetical.)

I would guess that there are plenty of Bills, Dolphins, and Jets fans who look at the Patriots and see anything goo of theirs as bad timing... If it wasn't the teams listed in the OP... it could have been the Elway Broncos, or the in prime Favre packers.... or the Steve Young 49ers... or the LT-Rivers-Gates-Merriman Chargers.

On the flip side I am sure there are fanbases talking about the fall of the Chargers as an opening for them.

This team needs to get better... there is a lot of skill and arguably even more luck involved with the poop shoots that are the NFL draft, with so many things that just can't be measured like a players drive to be the best, willingness to sacrifice for the team, self motivation to go 100% every snap of every practice... and simply how will they do against the best of the best.... I don't care how good your college football conference is it isn't the NFL.

The Free agency is another tough one... Nnamdi was supposed to be a beast and is on the verge of being cut. Haynsworth ended up being a massive headace for the skins... Gaither went from failure, to top 5 LT, and back to failure who has become an outcast on his team...

Then there is the issue with a player you invested in suffering a career ending injury, or merely a career altering one where the player returns but is never the same, what effects you both in your salary cap and future plans... forcing you to put resources into a position that going into the previous year you thought you were set at for the forseeable future.

Still some teams manage to find the right foundation and build around it, get past the misses by hitting where needed and scheming to cover weaknesses... something we haven't been able to do.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Chargers are a wildcard level team now. No way we will get the division while Manning is part of the AFC West. We missed the boat.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post

This is all valid... even if hypothetically the next generation of QBs isn't half of what this one was... whoever the best is will be viewed as a great of his time. (I think that QB is a position that is getting better overall, but it is the hypothetical.)

I would guess that there are plenty of Bills, Dolphins, and Jets fans who look at the Patriots and see anything goo of theirs as bad timing... If it wasn't the teams listed in the OP... it could have been the Elway Broncos, or the in prime Favre packers.... or the Steve Young 49ers... or the LT-Rivers-Gates-Merriman Chargers.

On the flip side I am sure there are fanbases talking about the fall of the Chargers as an opening for them.

This team needs to get better... there is a lot of skill and arguably even more luck involved with the poop shoots that are the NFL draft, with so many things that just can't be measured like a players drive to be the best, willingness to sacrifice for the team, self motivation to go 100% every snap of every practice... and simply how will they do against the best of the best.... I don't care how good your college football conference is it isn't the NFL.

The Free agency is another tough one... Nnamdi was supposed to be a beast and is on the verge of being cut. Haynsworth ended up being a massive headace for the skins... Gaither went from failure, to top 5 LT, and back to failure who has become an outcast on his team...

Then there is the issue with a player you invested in suffering a career ending injury, or merely a career altering one where the player returns but is never the same, what effects you both in your salary cap and future plans... forcing you to put resources into a position that going into the previous year you thought you were set at for the forseeable future.

Still some teams manage to find the right foundation and build around it, get past the misses by hitting where needed and scheming to cover weaknesses... something we haven't been able to do.
Pretty much sums up the NFL. Good post.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by medafor View Post
Chargers are a wildcard level team now. No way we will get the division while Manning is part of the AFC West. We missed the boat.

Wild Card teams are 4 games away from the Super Bowl once the playoffs start... And can pull it off. Yes, chances are that 3 of the 4 games will require upsets but... going 4-0 against playoff quality teams in the regular season is tough... and happens in the post season because it has to... but needless to say has a 11/12 failure rate.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Herm Edwards for coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Bolt View Post
AJ has whiffed (not just by a little either) on too many picks in the first couple of rounds.

Mouton
Hester
Gilchrist (jury still out)
English
Buster Davis

Couple that with poor free agency and lack of decent finds in later rounds has out us in this situation.
i think hester was a solid pick.one of the best st players we ever saw