Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
But a lineman may earn the "mean streak" label if he refuses to let until the play is over, regardless of how far away the action has moved.
this, I love this. a game full of that can wear out a defensive player.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Rookie

My Draft Wish List. Start with any of the following.
1. *Taylor Lewan, Michigan, 6-8/302
2. *D.J. Fluker, Alabama, 6-6/335
3. *Jake Matthews, Texas A&M, 6-5/305
4. *Chris Faulk, LSU, 6-6/325
5. Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin, 6-6/3
Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwolf74 View Post
My Draft Wish List. Start with any of the following.
1. *Taylor Lewan, Michigan, 6-8/302
2. *D.J. Fluker, Alabama, 6-6/335
3. *Jake Matthews, Texas A&M, 6-5/305
4. *Chris Faulk, LSU, 6-6/325
5. Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin, 6-6/3
I think your sources are a little out of date there friend. Fluker's pass pro struggles have landed him in the 2nd-3rd round conversation, Faulk is going back to school after being hurt all year, and Wagner has received mid round grades from just about everyone.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
Now the big question is do you think the new staff will go with a new left tackle or draft a RT in the first and hope Gaither isnt the joke that he is

I am going to steal a Kevin Acee post.

Quote:

Six Chargers players have viciously ripped Jared Gaither to me over past few months. Be assured, there are several more who feel the same way. Never seen a team so united in spite. (And I covered Jim Edmonds with the Angels.) ... Chargers brass (those remaining) knows they can't bring Gaither back.
(for anyone questioning the scource, scroll back on his twitter and you will find a link to what I posted.)

This makes me rethink if he will be brought back... allthough business wise he woul be a really tough cut.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post

(for anyone questioning the scource, scroll back on his twitter and you will find a link to what I posted.)

This makes me rethink if he will be brought back... allthough business wise he woul be a really tough cut.
This is why it would be oh so nice if a team got desperate and gave us a late round pick for him. Probably won't happen, but maybe a team like the Dolphins would be interested if they let Long walk and didn't find an alternative solution.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
As I kind of break out the various facets of OL play that can be assessed (e.g. technique, strength, hand use, agility, etc.) there are areas where I would rate Lewan a little higher. For example, I do think that Lewan's stronger at the point of attack whereas Fisher's technique is cleaner. So it's not as though I think Fisher is better in every way. But what I started to realize after watching a lot more of Fisher is that the margins where he is inferior are smaller than the margins where he is superior. By that I mean that where Lewan is better, Fisher tends to also be good- just not quite as good (ex. run blocking). However where Fisher is better, the gap between he and Lewan seems to be more significant (ex. waist vs knee bending).

Anyhow, that's just my impression after seeing a lot more Fisher. No way to really substantiate it. I like them both in any case.

It may be overused, but it's definitely a real criteria for scouts. And my understanding is that it gets applied to linemen who block "to the echo of the whistle" and play a little dirty. That was how Dielman earned the moniker. For example, many linemen will let up on their man after a successful block if the play is moving away. But a lineman may earn the "mean streak" label if he refuses to let until the play is over, regardless of how far away the action has moved.
One of the things that really impressed me about Lewan in the couple of games I've seen so far is his "mean streak". He blocks every play like it's 4th and goal and the next score wins. I haven't been as impressed with Fisher in that area.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post

Can I get a cookie for being right on my guy instinct?

Good riddance to Gaither. I have no tolerance for that.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM
RyanMathews

At this point I would be happy if we can trade both Mecheam and Gaither. I don't care what we get for them. Valuable cap space wasted on these bums.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:

It may be overused, but it's definitely a real criteria for scouts. And my understanding is that it gets applied to linemen who block "to the echo of the whistle" and play a little dirty. That was how Dielman earned the moniker. For example, many linemen will let up on their man after a successful block if the play is moving away. But a lineman may earn the "mean streak" label if he refuses to let until the play is over, regardless of how far away the action has moved.
Ok, this is now painting more of a picture around the definition of this term. Thanks.

Now who is in your avatar?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 AM

We definitely need to draft a LT in the early rounds but I'm not sure if we need one in the 1st round with Gaither and with other needs at the other OL positions.