Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Rookie

OL stats can be very misleading unless you know exactly who had what responsibilty on each and every play. You can see a sack given up on a play and it looks like it was obviously the fault of the OL the defender ran right past or around. But unknown to most fans- that defender may not have been that OL assignment on that play.
Anyway - you sometimes have to just go by the eyeball test. Also- keep in mind that someone like Haslam. May have started 2 games but has really played in almost 4 entire games.
I think the play of the OG's has been pretty good. Would like to see a little better push in the running game. But I also feel part of that problem is on the RB's. At the OT position - Clary has had a BAD year. No matter how you slice it. Harris- he has looked lost out there. It is a tough task in this league for a guy like him to just come in and start at the 2nd most important position on the field. The Pitt game and the majority of the Jet's game shows how much Haslam actually is. I'm not sure if Haslam stays at LT in the future but he needs to be one of our OT's next year. Let's give this guy the position right out of the gate and see what we have.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Harris has some upside. He was showing rapid improvement at one time, then seemed to hit the wall after getting dinged and worn down. Haslam looks promising also. Neither is a starter at this time. Clary had a very rough year. I've never seen his man drive him off and beat him inside as often as in 2012. Vasquez is a stud in a phonebooth. Hardwick is worthless in one on one's with NT/DT's. Green has great feet for a pulling OG, not great in pass blocking- could look much better given solid LT and C play. He looked solid next to Gaither in 2011. Hadnot is solid depth at C/OG
Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Hall of Famer

The biggest priority is LT, Gaither is not a long term player if he is even here next year. It looks like all year we used TE to help on both sides.

Find a solid LT in the Draft, the rest should be easy to fix.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Is it time to panic yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgersfan View Post
OL stats can be very misleading unless you know exactly who had what responsibilty on each and every play. You can see a sack given up on a play and it looks like it was obviously the fault of the OL the defender ran right past or around. But unknown to most fans- that defender may not have been that OL assignment on that play.
Anyway
- you sometimes have to just go by the eyeball test. Also- keep in mind that someone like Haslam. May have started 2 games but has really played in almost 4 entire games.
I think the play of the OG's has been pretty good. Would like to see a little better push in the running game. But I also feel part of that problem is on the RB's. At the OT position - Clary has had a BAD year. No matter how you slice it. Harris- he has looked lost out there. It is a tough task in this league for a guy like him to just come in and start at the 2nd most important position on the field. The Pitt game and the majority of the Jet's game shows how much Haslam actually is. I'm not sure if Haslam stays at LT in the future but he needs to be one of our OT's next year. Let's give this guy the position right out of the gate and see what we have.
Bolded the important part.
“We came out and had a ‘we will not be denied’ attitude. We fear nobody. We’re going to go out there and play for 60 minutes....we’re coming after you every single play.” – D.J. Fluker after 30- 21 win over the Cowboys.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Rookie

I hadn't seen Harris improve at all this year. I'm not sure if it is because he has no experience or nicked up but I just didn't see it.
Haslam on the other hand- is much better at RT but have no problem seeing him start on either side of the line. Before he was hurt in Jacksonville, they had him projected as a starter in his 2nd year. I haven't seen anything to tell me he isn't a starter.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Next man up

This is interesting to see... but like any posistons stats don't tell teh whole story.

If Rivers saw an OL lost and threw the ball away, or to a target that wasn't ideal... then it is on the OL even if the sack never happend.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgersfan View Post
I hadn't seen Harris improve at all this year. I'm not sure if it is because he has no experience or nicked up but I just didn't see it.
Haslam on the other hand- is much better at RT but have no problem seeing him start on either side of the line. Before he was hurt in Jacksonville, they had him projected as a starter in his 2nd year. I haven't seen anything to tell me he isn't a starter.
I agree with Harris, he has shown me nothing this year. Dude looks completely overwhelm at this level.

However, I would not feel comfortable with Haslam starting at LT, maybe he would do fine as backup RT......but he shouldn't be starting at either spot in 2013 IMO.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
J. Clary - 13 GS, 8.5 SA, 0 FS, 0 H

M. Harris -9 GS, 10 SA, 4 FS, 6 H
Jeez. That has to be the most sacks allowed by a pair of tackles on a given team in 20+ years.

That was 2011. Replace "Tebow" with "Manning" and it holds true for 2012."
Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittydog View Post
GS=Games Started
SA=Sacks Allowed
FS=False Start
H=Holding

L. Vasquez -15 GS, 2.5 SA, 0 FS, 0 H

T. Green -12 GS, 0.5 SA, 0 FS, 0 H

N. Hardwick -15 GS, 3 SA, 1 FS, 2 H

J. Clary - 13 GS, 8.5 SA, 0 FS, 0 H

M. Harris -9 GS, 10 SA, 4 FS, 6 H

J. Gaither - 4 GS , 4 SA, 3 FS, 1 H

R. Hadnot - 3 GS, 1 SA, 0 FS, 0 H

R. Wells - 2 GS, 2 SA, 1FS, 0 H

K. Haslam - 2 GS, 2.5 SA, 1FS, 0 H
As a team, the Chargers have given up 47 sacks so far this year. Add up all the above, and it's only 34 SA. Something is missing. I know there might be times where Philip is flushed out of the pocket and then they don't credit any lineman with having given up a sack, but that's a big disparity.

This is a good site--pro football focus. This page shows how often OL gives up QB pressures. Harris grades worst in the league, Clary is 51st (or 15th worst.)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-efficiency/2/
Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida SD fan View Post
The biggest priority is LT, Gaither is not a long term player if he is even here next year. It looks like all year we used TE to help on both sides.

Find a solid LT in the Draft, the rest should be easy to fix.
Agreed. Green would be a solid starter if you put him next to a stud LT. Put him next to a rookie UDFA or a scrap heap OT and he isn't very good. And you're right that we had to utlize McMichael on nearly every play to help the O line protect Rivers.

You can win with guys like Clary and Green. They're not Pro Bowlers but they are serviceable players who give their all. You cannot win with guys like Gaither because you cannot trust them. We had an issue qith quality and quantity on the O line this year.

Draft an LT in the 1st round (Lewan, Fisher, etc.) and you plug a big hole. You also allow 2 TE formations where both TEs can go out and catch passes like the Pats do. Yes that rookie will struggle. Perhaps you sign a vet OG like Lilja to play next to them for a year or two while Troutman gets up to speed.