Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Do you guys love spinning off of a topic ?

"But, but, but on January 10, 1982 Montana hit Clark in the back of end zone and it is known as 'The Catch'" !!!!!!!

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is being discussed.

Wow. How about during the entire body/history of any single franchise the Steelers have drafted the best. Not "But in 1989 Detroit drafted Barry Sanders !!!"

Everybody knows the Steelers are the best drafting team. It is common knowledge. Oh, wait. We do get one free pass: We are Chargers Fans so we wouldn't know good if it slapped us in the face.

My bad. You're right. I forgot.
calm down freak. Im not arguing with your premise. Just stating that the "great organizations" will tend to have stability in the QB position. When the steelers didnt they were still a little better than other teams but couldnt win a ring. they got roethlisberger and won 15 games and then a superbowl the following year.

same with SF, same with New England (and in new englands case its not like they knew what they had). A good QB will make an organization look good the majority of the time.

-Mario Lopez
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Do you guys love spinning off of a topic ?

"But, but, but on January 10, 1982 Montana hit Clark in the back of end zone and it is known as 'The Catch'" !!!!!!!

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is being discussed.

Wow. How about during the entire body/history of any single franchise the Steelers have drafted the best. Not "But in 1989 Detroit drafted Barry Sanders !!!"

Everybody knows the Steelers are the best drafting team. It is common knowledge. Oh, wait. We do get one free pass: We are Chargers Fans so we wouldn't know good if it slapped us in the face.

My bad. You're right. I forgot.
But Montana didn't just win 1 SB. He won 4. If the Steelers are the best drafting team, how come they are not in the SB, year after year.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
calm down freak. Im not arguing with your premise. Just stating that the "great organizations" will tend to have stability in the QB position. When the steelers didnt they were still a little better than other teams but couldnt win a ring. they got roethlisberger and won 15 games and then a superbowl the following year.

same with SF, same with New England (and in new englands case its not like they knew what they had). A good QB will make an organization look good the majority of the time.
We are sucking so bad that I don't even know what our record is AND YOU WANT ME TO BE CALM ?!?!?!?!

Oh, what has happened to our team ?

Oh the misery, oh the pain, oh the turkey necks, oh the Hawaiian shirts !!!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post

I agree with the majority of the time. I still say Ben rode that good defense to winning. Cowher really knew how to limit the rookie Ben, manage the game, let the D win.

You are right though with Montana, Young, (although the 49ers had a better D than they will ever get credit for), Brady, Rodgers. It's about that big time QB most of the time.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
But Montana didn't just win 1 SB. He won 4. If the Steelers are the best drafting team, how come they are not in the SB, year after year.
Oh my Chorizo and Eggs, I give up. (I love salsa verde too!)

Here's a stat, while it makes us sick, you have to respect it:

The New England Pattywhackers now have 10 straight seasons with at least 10 wins each season.

We are allowed to hate them, and still respect the crap out of that.
That's getting it done.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 AM
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
It's hard to get to the Super Bowl. There's more to it than just drafting well.

There's coaching, and there's conditioning and injuries, and there's schedule (who you play and how well they're playing when you play them), and adjudication (which team of referees show up and how their calls influence the game). And luck plays a part - e.g. an obscure receiver could trap the ball on the side of his helmet and make a once-in-a-career kind of catch and derail an opponent's season.

So it takes more than just a great roster to be successful. And there are several very good organizations out there that are all trying to get to the same place - not all good/great teams can be there at the end.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipRoast View Post
It's hard to get to the Super Bowl. There's more to it than just drafting well.

There's coaching, and there's conditioning and injuries, and there's schedule (who you play and how well they're playing when you play them), and adjudication (which team of referees show up and how their calls influence the game). And luck plays a part - e.g. an obscure receiver could trap the ball on the side of his helmet and make a once-in-a-career kind of catch and derail an opponent's season.

So it takes more than just a great roster to be successful. And there are several very good organizations out there that are all trying to get to the same place - not all good/great teams can be there at the end.
Definitely a little luck. But you have to put yourself in the position to win. You have to be able to first make the playoffs. Then as we have seen, anything can happen. In my opinion the championship caliber teams handle adversity well, which means they arent manic and are coached well. They are often times more consistent than the rest. Thats the key word. I dont necessarily think theres a winning formula. What there are, are some good organizations that you know every year can contend.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Hall of Famer

How about teams that also are play-off contenders/caliber one year, then have a poor season, pick high in the draft, then reload with a ton of young solid veteran and rookie talent?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsgeek View Post
How about teams that also are play-off contenders/caliber one year, then have a poor season, pick high in the draft, then reload with a ton of young solid veteran and rookie talent?
Theyd better draft well and be well coached. How can you explain Jax or Cleveland. Lame ducks every year who get high picks. I really feel that coaching is the biggest difference maker. That would explain why certain teams who although injured, manage to stay competitive.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
No longer norv'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
What makes the elite teams elite? What makes the perenial contenders be just that? Coaching and player development to me are the main areas.....
Was thinking about that very thing today. I didn't go deep, only one comparison, but it burns. Tolbert. Not sure about his turnovers this yr, but no doubt he's improved because the Panthers feed & trust him with the rock. That didn't exist with these coaches here. And it pi$$ed us all off at the time.