Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Raider Kryptonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
Both Lewan and Fisher can start day one and be an instant upgrade for us. One of them will probably be available at 11.
One of these guys should be there at 11. What makes it a tougher choice is what happens if talent like Werner or Milliner becomes available at #11. I'd take Werner in a heartbeat over both of these OTs. Milliner too. I forsee at least one top ten talent sliding to us in addition to either Lewan or Fisher. A run of QBs in addition to your token combine freak moving up should make it happen.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Hall of Famer

One knock I will have one Rivers is stuff we don't see. Not what we do see, we see all the INT's, we see him jumping around with delay of games, and false starts. We see him yell out and shaking his hands when a WR doesn't run his route right and it's another 3rd and out.

What I'd like to see more from Rivers is what I don't see him doing, pumping up his players before the game, firing up his players on the sidelines, giving pregame speeches. We see Spikes giving the pregame speech, getting his players fired up. I'd like to see Rivers take more of a leadership role. It took Brees going overseas and spending time with the troops to come up with his post game circle swag and motivation. Rivers is the face of the franchise, but he needs to work on being the leader of this franchise. I can forgive Rivers for throwing a pick 6, but I can't ever except him throwing a pick 6, shrugging his shoulders, and going on the sidelines looking completely disinterested.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

I put a little more thought into this one:

1. Chiefs: G. Smith, QB, W. Virginia- Kansas City serves as a great object lesson for why, regardless of talent at other positions, a team will almost never win when they have bad production at the QB position. Smith has all the tools you want (arm strength, mechanics, footwork, a little athleticism) in a prospect, and is frankly a better prospect than a lot of recent first round QB's (Newton, Tannehill, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder).

2. Jaguars: Bjoern Werner, DE, Fl. State- The Jags are likely going to bring in Tebow. And even if they don't, the serviceable play of Henne means they can wait until the 2nd to find a QB. Their pass rush has been an issue for years, so I have them taking the best end of 2013, who also is in the running with Lotulelei for BPA at this point.

3. Raiders: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah- Richard Seymour is about done, Tommy Kelly is gets paid too much and gives pathetic effort, and Star is the best player available. The Raiders need help stopping the run and rushing the passer and Lotulelei is a guy who figures to help in both those areas.

4. Eagles: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas AM- With Jason Peters coming off an achilles rupture and being 31, I have Philly finding his future replacement. Even if Peters is 100% in 2013, you can trade him or just stash Joeckel on the right side until it's time for him to take over the left.

5. Liones: Damontre Moore, DE, Texas AM- Vanden Bosch is about done and Avril struggled in 2012 and is now a FA anyways. The Lions have to restock their pass rushers if they intend on fixing their defense. Detroit usually goes with BPA, but Moore is arguably just that at this spot.

6. Browns: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia- If Jones' neck checks out anywhere near OK at the combine, some team will roll the dice for the sake of his talent. The Browns need a pass rusher and Jones is possibly the most explosive to be had in 2013. Von Miller's work in Denver has demonstrated that players like Jones aren't scheme dependent.

7. Cardinals: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas- After getting burned by the Kevin Kolb experiment, the Cardinals are likely done with looking anywhere other than the draft for their solution at QB. The OL is a major concern, but Levi Brown (signed deal for 5 years, 30M last offseason) should return healthy in 2013 to man the most important of the 5 positions and Bobby Massie (a rookie this season) started making strides down the stretch. So the real positions on the line that need addressing at in the interior- positions you just don't draft in the top 10. Wilson is underrated on a bad team in the toughest conference in football.

8. Bills: Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State- The Bills have been vocal about getting a QB for some time now. I have them nabbing the underrated Glennon, whose arm talent will appeal to a franchise that's been watching Ryan Fitzpatrick for a few seasons now. Glennon's performances against Florida State and Clemson in 2012 are really going to help his stock.

9. Jets: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU- The Jets may have no choice but to stick with Sanchez in 2013. If that's the case then an offensive playmaker makes more sense, but isn't one to be had worth this draft slot and New York already has a franchise left tackle. They have lacked a premier edge rusher since Rex came over from Baltimore and Mingo projects to thrive at the OLB position.

10. Titans: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama- Safety is a bigger issue for Tennessee than corner, but they would have to really love Vaccaro to take him here. As it is, Milliner is probably BPA or close to it and could either play nickel as a rookie or play outside and allow Verner to shift to the slot, where he's been better. With a lot of talent in the front seven, addressing the secondary makes the most sense.

11. Chargers: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan- Regardless of what we do with Gaither, we would be fools to count on him in 2013. Fisher, due to clean technique, is the most pro-ready of the OT's left on the board. I consider him to also be one of the best players available here overall as well. Even with the typical rookie struggles, Fisher would be a vast improvement over what we had at LT in 2012.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzubeck View Post
If the chiefs decide to take a top left tackle I would not be averse to trading down and taking their top 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounder for our first rounder outright. We could get alot better everywhere with two high second rounders, two high third rounders, and two high 4th rounders. Then use the rest of our picks to move those 1st-4th rounders up if needed. Nothing like having 6 solid picks IMHO.
First off, everyone wants to trade back. We need to start thinking about getting dominant players when we end up with a pick like this, which is why I was so disillusioned when we traded up and drafted Mathews. We got Merriman with the 12th pick. We have a much better chance of getting a really good to great player by staying right where we are instead of hoping later on. We pull a trade like that it gives us numbers. That could work, then again, it's more likely to give us more "second tier" players like we already have a slew of. I might consider trading back a few spots, or even trading back some in the 2nd for an extra 4th or 5th, but I'm hoping we hang right where we are and use this pick to hopefully get a player who becomes dominant for that OL.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Charger realist, idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
First off, everyone wants to trade back. We need to start thinking about getting dominant players when we end up with a pick like this, which is why I was so disillusioned when we traded up and drafted Mathews. We got Merriman with the 12th pick. We have a much better chance of getting a really good to great player by staying right where we are instead of hoping later on. We pull a trade like that it gives us numbers. That could work, then again, it's more likely to give us more "second tier" players like we already have a slew of. I might consider trading back a few spots, or even trading back some in the 2nd for an extra 4th or 5th, but I'm hoping we hang right where we are and use this pick to hopefully get a player who becomes dominant for that OL.
I'm in agreement with this. Hold strong with the first pick. Pick the best available player that fits our needs. In the middle rounds we can play toss around the draft picks.
"My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world."
- George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM
rywitcher

I agree too. Stick with the #11 pick and get a stud in the first round (hopefully on O-line.) Then get middle-tier options in latter rounds.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46um View Post
One of these guys should be there at 11. What makes it a tougher choice is what happens if talent like Werner or Milliner becomes available at #11. I'd take Werner in a heartbeat over both of these OTs. Milliner too. I forsee at least one top ten talent sliding to us in addition to either Lewan or Fisher. A run of QBs in addition to your token combine freak moving up should make it happen.
Funny, but true. Isn't it interesting how some guy with freakish speed or strength, but is not a gamer, can get a GM or coach drooling--then when game time comes, he's a bust.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
My guess:

1. Chiefs: G. Smith, QB, W. Virginia
  2. Jaguars: B. Werner, DE, Fl. State
  3. Raiders: S. Lotulelei, DT, Utah
  4. Eagles: L. Joeckel, OT, Texas AM
  5. Lions: D. Moore, DE, Texas AM
  6. Browns: J. Jones, OLB, Georgia (if his neck checks out close to ok)
  7. Cardinals: M. Glennon, QB, N.C. State
  8. Bills: T. Wilson, QB, Arkansas
  9. Jets: T. Bray, QB, Tennessee
  10. Titans: D. Milliner, CB, Alabama
  11. Chargers: E. Fisher, OT, Cent. Michigan
Now I realize that's a lot of QB's in the top ten, but those teams have to upgrade the position and we've seen lesser talent go high like that (Locker, Ponder, Tannehill). Plus it's not like- to me- there are tons of way better options at other positions on the board when they pick.
Philly has been on the "Blow 4 Barkley" campaign for months now so I doubt they pass up on him.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:14 AM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weddle46 View Post
Philly has been on the "Blow 4 Barkley" campaign for months now so I doubt they pass up on him.
I think Philly is gonna stick with Foles.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weddle46 View Post
Foles has played well and Barkley has not. His stock has taken a nose dive- though in reality is was probably never as high as people imagine.