Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshie4 View Post
It's a tough one, a lot of people are dismissive of Aliens. I'll try make some discussion on it tomorrow. For now this quote.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke
Life certainly exists elsewhere in the universe. That doesn't mean we get visited by aliens.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Life certainly exists elsewhere in the universe. That doesn't mean we get visited by aliens.

I agree with this one hundred percent.

Habitable Zones is the most realistic way to view it. Judging the amount of time since the universe has started and the amount of stars in it, there should have been TONS of habitable zones in this universe, let alone a galaxy itself.

The problem with talking about aliens passing by or near earth is that we're assuming they're using advanced technology. Using energies that we don't yet have control of or know exist to propel their "things". We think of how big the universe is and it's like what are the chances of them passing by here?

If an civilization is advanced enough I guess could assume they aren't at eachothers throats like we are here. We could assume if they made it further than 100,000 years with technology, they would basically be able to survive forever. By the time a race has mastered fast space travel, that is when they are considered elite IMO. When they can travel across the cosmos at those speeds, they can protect themselves from anything really.

Hopefully in my lifetime we will hae some definitive answer of life. If it's using better cameras in space to look at planets or get some real ET evidence from the government or something. Eventually, if our race survives on, we will make contact with ET's. Maybe in the next 100,000 years if we have traveled to another planet to build bases and what not, I believe we will have met some of the other residents of the universe.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Not a big deal. But as a child of about 5 I was in my aunt's backyard on an early summers evening prior to sunset. I looked over the fence and noticed a light streaking accross the sky unlike anything I had seen. She lived about 3 miles from Kennedy airport so I was used to seeing alot of planes in the sky. That evening on the 11 oclock news I remember seeing the headline of 'strange lights over the sky'. Thats all I remember
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
Not a big deal. But as a child of about 5 I was in my aunt's backyard on an early summers evening prior to sunset. I looked over the fence and noticed a light streaking accross the sky unlike anything I had seen. She lived about 3 miles from Kennedy airport so I was used to seeing alot of planes in the sky. That evening on the 11 oclock news I remember seeing the headline of 'strange lights over the sky'. Thats all I remember

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. The light that I saw lift up and THEN streak against across the sky on a very flat plane. It changed directions in a near impossible manner.

An interesting thing about the one that I saw, is my uncle saw something similar. He was standing on a beach. He saw a fast light come from the horizon of the ocean. I don't remember how high he said it was, but it stopped above the ocean, then sped off in the way it came from equally as fast and equally as impossible.

My uncle isn't a drug user. He's a pretty serious guy and doesn't make stuff up. He's a family man and is as serious as a heart attack.

There has also been a few NASA released UFO's captured in some of the backgrounds of their shuttle cam. Some can be explained of course, but the ones that can stop and change directions are the ones that need to be questioned.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Hall of Famer

The idea of aliens visiting is laughable. However, when you start looking into all the CREDIBLE witnesses, yes, CREDIBLE witnesses, things don't make sense. Just because someone has seen something amazing and didn't report it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It is nearly impossible to account for everybodies UFO experience. Especially if it wasn't documented. We wouldn't have much to go on, but I'm sure there are some people out there who have seen something more off the wall than I did that night.

There's also a couple pilots that were chased by a UFO. One was a Japanese pilot with a lot of hours logged and the other, was a dominiqon pilot with some hours logged, which sent out a mayday after trying to lose the craft it was describing.

In both instances the pilots described the objects as bright lights and "not of earthly origin"
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekal View Post
I agree with this one hundred percent.

Habitable Zones is the most realistic way to view it. Judging the amount of time since the universe has started and the amount of stars in it, there should have been TONS of habitable zones in this universe, let alone a galaxy itself.

The problem with talking about aliens passing by or near earth is that we're assuming they're using advanced technology. Using energies that we don't yet have control of or know exist to propel their "things". We think of how big the universe is and it's like what are the chances of them passing by here?

If an civilization is advanced enough I guess could assume they aren't at eachothers throats like we are here. We could assume if they made it further than 100,000 years with technology, they would basically be able to survive forever. By the time a race has mastered fast space travel, that is when they are considered elite IMO. When they can travel across the cosmos at those speeds, they can protect themselves from anything really.

Hopefully in my lifetime we will hae some definitive answer of life. If it's using better cameras in space to look at planets or get some real ET evidence from the government or something. Eventually, if our race survives on, we will make contact with ET's. Maybe in the next 100,000 years if we have traveled to another planet to build bases and what not, I believe we will have met some of the other residents of the universe.

if youre going to talk about civilizations, you may want to use the Kardashev scale. This is still refered to by Dr Michio Kaku today and is valid although there has been some dialogue in academic circles about adding a IV level to it which involves using the entire universe's energy

Quote:
In 1964, Kardashev defined three levels of civilizations, based on the order of magnitude of the amount of power available to them:
  • Type I: "Technological level close to the level presently (here referring to 1964) attained on earth, with energy consumption at ≈4×1019 erg/sec[2] (4 × 1012 watts.) Guillermo A. Lemarchand stated this as "A level near contemporary terrestrial civilization with an energy capability equivalent to the solar insolation on Earth, between 1016 and 10 17 watts."[3]
  • Type II: "A civilization capable of harnessing the energy radiated by its own star (for example, the stage of successful construction of a Dyson sphere), with energy consumption at ≈4×1033 erg/sec.[2] Lemarchand stated this as "A civilization capable of utilizing and channeling the entire radiation output of its star. The energy utilization would then be comparable to the luminosity of our Sun, about 4 × 1026 watts."[3]
  • Type III: "A civilization in possession of energy on the scale of its own galaxy, with energy consumption at ≈4×1044 erg/sec."[2] Lemarchand stated this as "A civilization with access to the power comparable to the luminosity of the entire Milky Way galaxy, about 4 × 1037 Watts."[3]
To put those levels into analogical perspective, we "earthlings" are still at zero but close to I.

Type II-Star Trek
Type III-Star Wars

Many are reticent to talk about these "events" since there has been a heavy social "stigma" placed upon them and that goes all the way back to project sign and project grunge.

The most succinct description I have heard to describe all this is that it is both an enigma and a juggernaut.

Be that as it may, this phenomenon is physical, psycho-psysiological, has its own social-belief system and has created new cultural, political and religious concepts.

So, the question is; is it worthy of dialogue?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Scientists are expecting to find the first "alien earth" this year.

Very interesting read: http://www.space.com/19044-alien-ear...nets-2013.html

Apparently they have found a planet 2.4 times the size of Earth, in a "habitable zone" orbiting a sun-like star. Pretty sure water is there, and maybe even life.

Quote:
Last December, for instance, Kepler found a planet 2.4 times larger than Earth orbiting in its star's habitable zone — that just-right range of distances where liquid water, and perhaps life as we know it, can exist.

The Kepler team and other research groups have detected several other worlds like that one (which is known as Kepler-22b), bringing the current tally of potentially habitable exoplanets to nine by Mendez' reckoning.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Whenever the first Earth twin is confirmed, the discovery will likely have a profound effect on humanity.

"We humans will look up into the night sky, much as we gaze across a large ocean," Marcy told SPACE.com via email. "We will know that the cosmic ocean contains islands and continents by the billions, able to support both primitive life and entire civilizations."

Marcy hopes such a find will prod our species to take its first real steps beyond its native solar system.

"Humanity will close its collective eyes, and set sail for Alpha Centauri," Marcy said, referring to the closest star system to our own, where an Earth-size planet was discovered earlier this year.

"The small steps for humanity will be a giant leap for our species. Sending robotic probes to the nearest stars will constitute the greatest adventure we Homo sapiens have ever attempted," Marcy added. "This massive undertaking will require the cooperation and contribution from all major nations around world. In so doing, we will take our first tentative steps into the cosmic ocean and enhance our shared sense of purpose on this terrestrial shore."
I'd like to volunteer to help populate the new planet.

Wonder if they have critters there to hunt?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekal View Post
The idea of aliens visiting is laughable. However, when you start looking into all the CREDIBLE witnesses, yes, CREDIBLE witnesses, things don't make sense. Just because someone has seen something amazing and didn't report it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It is nearly impossible to account for everybodies UFO experience. Especially if it wasn't documented. We wouldn't have much to go on, but I'm sure there are some people out there who have seen something more off the wall than I did that night.

There's also a couple pilots that were chased by a UFO. One was a Japanese pilot with a lot of hours logged and the other, was a dominiqon pilot with some hours logged, which sent out a mayday after trying to lose the craft it was describing.

In both instances the pilots described the objects as bright lights and "not of earthly origin"
Read Army air command Lt Gen Nathan Twinning's Memo from 9/23/47. its an interesting read from simply a threat assesment perspective and has some interesting opinions in it.

and yes, it is a legit document from the national archives.

http://www.brycezabel.com/files/twin...disclosure.pdf
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
I'd like to volunteer to help populate the new planet.

Wonder if they have critters there to hunt?
NASA already has identified nine habitable planets using the hubble telescope habitable planets CT, here are the top 6.

DARPA has a long term project of sending out a space ship on a 100 year voyage, but you wont be coming back-think Gilligans island haha

edit--cant shrink the pic, sorry