Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolbolts View Post
Well it's a easy answer, Donnie was a good linebacker better then Cooper a lot better the question is was he better then Cooper in 2007? no I think Donnie was dropping off big by that point.He had the lowest amount of tackles and take always in over 8 years, played very little the following season then never played again.

So Edwards was the better linebacker. But in 2007 I think they were both just ok linebackers.

Thank you for doing that. Nothing against Cooper. He was good during his times here, liable in pass coverage. Big hitter, not very fast at times. Played with a chip on his shoulder. Motivated his players. High energy player. Good reader of defenses. Cooper brought a nasty mentality to his defense. It was awesome.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood View Post
Umm, no it was about continuity on both sides of the ball and them wanting to stick with a 3-4 defense.

Again, Godfrey was splitting 50% of the snaps with Cooper over his last two years. Edwards was the only guy we lost.

You're wrong about the bolded section. This whole thread is about player talent.

I agree with Norv that the talent on this team has diminished. That is on both AJ and Norv in my opinion.

I was just saying that the coordinator position losses trump player losses. Because that's the loss of a whole system in place. Which was proven to be solid for the chargers. Wade Philips. Great blitzing and run D, liable in pass coverage. Just like Houston right now.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
You should have put that in the thread title, but then the Norv haters wouldn't have even opened your thread. Propaganda....appropriate for the false thread title you put up.....

Gotta wonder why the Mods even allowed the thread....Norv never said anything even remotely close to your title.

GO BOLTS !
Suggest you read the article from the link below.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...6150--nfl.html
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Rookie

After reflecting a bit on all of Norv's seasons, I have to say:

He's right. AJ and ownership dropped the ball. Too much talent walked away and the replacements and drafting were not up to par.

Norv took over a beast of a team and took them to the championship game. They were heavily injured and still had a shot. Bad luck.

He also had one of the most epic playoff wins I've ever seen against the colts.

But systematically, every bright spot of the team has been dismantled. Either by injury or AJ/Spanos not cutting a check.

Norv SHOULD be fired, because I don't think he's the coach to rebuild with. But he was not this utter failure people think. His system required talent. When we had it, we got the best of a LOT of teams and took the Patriots to the limit at home on one leg (literally, with Rivers). As talent diminished, his system became less effective until ultimately sputtering totally this year.

Look at this roster of the 2012 Chargers. To me, that looks exactly like a 7-9 8-8 team. All those close games we couldn't quite get over the hump? Sproles might have made a difference. VJ might have made a difference. A paid, stout O Line might have.

Yes, the Chargers need a new coach and GM to reshape the team.

But Norv also did a hell of a job with Marty's roster and kicked ass in the playoffs. Injuries and talent loss ended the party too soon.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Hall of Famer

For the record, I am not trolling anybody. Sometimes I post some pretty wild things with some pretty sound intentions. It doesn't always come out very neat, as you can tell. You will know when I am being sarcastic and when I am not. This board is awesome and it's fun to debate about this topic because to us, it is highly contraversal. To me, it's obvious he's a good coach. There is evidence on both of our sides and we know this. This topic won't be around for long.... Soon, we will move on to the next coach and the next problems. After that, we will continue to share our differences on topics and debate in the fasion that we do.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseStateBolts View Post
After reflecting a bit on all of Norv's seasons, I have to say:

He's right. AJ and ownership dropped the ball. Too much talent walked away and the replacements and drafting were not up to par.

Norv took over a beast of a team and took them to the championship game. They were heavily injured and still had a shot. Bad luck.

He also had one of the most epic playoff wins I've ever seen against the colts.

But systematically, every bright spot of the team has been dismantled. Either by injury or AJ/Spanos not cutting a check.

Norv SHOULD be fired, because I don't think he's the coach to rebuild with. But he was not this utter failure people think. His system required talent. When we had it, we got the best of a LOT of teams and took the Patriots to the limit at home on one leg (literally, with Rivers). As talent diminished, his system became less effective until ultimately sputtering totally this year.

Look at this roster of the 2012 Chargers. To me, that looks exactly like a 7-9 8-8 team. All those close games we couldn't quite get over the hump? Sproles might have made a difference. VJ might have made a difference. A paid, stout O Line might have.

Yes, the Chargers need a new coach and GM to reshape the team.

But Norv also did a hell of a job with Marty's roster and kicked ass in the playoffs. Injuries and talent loss ended the party too soon.
rational...i like it.

-Mario Lopez
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm No Noob

I am not sure what Donnie Esward has to do with us not having enough talent to be a PO team.

When we had Sproles, VJ, and an OL back in 2008, we went 8-8. Which means we only won a few non-divisional games. We still had "playoff talent" and backed in and had no business not even grtting there. That was on COACHING.

In 2010 and 2011 we missed the playoffs by one game. You can argue Rivers' fumble snap was one game. Agreed. But to say COACHING wasn't to blame isn't being honest either.

I've said before, we should have been a playoff team in 2012 but we choked in critical situations. Four games, four plays, one per game... would take us to 11-5 instead of 7-9. Roughing the passer negating the pick six in NO, Payton converting 3rd and 16 in the first Denver game, Meachem's wide open TD drop in CLE, and the poor spot for Rice versus BAL.

So while the talent level has diminished, so has the head coaching talent.

If the defense is that Norv can take us deep with a stacked roster, I'll counter by saying that a good coach can get more out of less.

We had playoff level talent in 2012. If Indy and Cincy make it, then yes we did.

But we were worse in second half of games all season. No worthwhile adjustments.

That's known around the league as poor coaching.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
I am not sure what Donnie Esward has to do with us not having enough talent to be a PO team.

When we had Sproles, VJ, and an OL back in 2008, we went 8-8. Which means we only won a few non-divisional games. We still had "playoff talent" and backed in and had no business not even grtting there. That was on COACHING.

In 2010 and 2011 we missed the playoffs by one game. You can argue Rivers' fumble snap was one game. Agreed. But to say COACHING wasn't to blame isn't being honest either.

I've said before, we should have been a playoff team in 2012 but we choked in critical situations. Four games, four plays, one per game... would take us to 11-5 instead of 7-9. Roughing the passer negating the pick six in NO, Payton converting 3rd and 16 in the first Denver game, Meachem's wide open TD drop in CLE, and the poor spot for Rice versus BAL.

If the defense is that Norv can take us deep with a stacked roster, I'll counter by saying that a good coach can get more out of less.

We had playoff level talent in 2012. If Indy and Cincy make it, then yes we did.

But we were worse in second half of games all season. No worthwhile adjustments.

disagree here.

2008 was a lot like 2005. We had a ridiculously tough schedule.. we played 2 10AM games on the road after the home team had bye weeks, we also played in london, we had the eventual superbowl champ on the road. We also had some of the worst reffing in our games (i still contend the refs blatantly robbed us of 2 games that year and really butchered 3 others).

we lost our game changer on defense for the year. we were unlucky. and we had a ton of business being in the playoffs. Its not our fault denver lost 2 games in a row before we whipped them for the division. that is not an epic collapse. Losing on the road to a 12-4 team and losing on the road to us were 2 of those 3 losses. Only 1 loss would be considered a choke loss and hey, it happens.

as for your examples of how we could have been 11-5 instead of 7-9, i dont understand how thats coaching. I dont blame norv for meachem dropping a ball or giving up a 3rd and 16 or a poor spot or a player getting a late hit penalty on a game changing play.

could he have done better? of course. Should he have?...im not too sure.

-Mario Lopez
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post

Regarding Edwards, I was just trying to show that Norv had to deal with a different team. They were right, Cooper did play some of the 2006 season, but Edwards still recorded 98 tackles. Which is ok. Like I said, I think Edwards is better than Cooper but not by much. Cooper is good. That was a sign of good coaching. New players came in, new starters started and we won games.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Empyron

I think the comment from Norv that gave me the biggest laugh was this one:

"I think that when they look at the tape, they'll see that this team has been extremely well-coached, and they'll say, 'They need to find a way to add more players, so that they can compete."

Closed Thread