Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJAX85 View Post
Some of that is just that we picked the wrong guy. Right position. Wrong player. It's all a roll of the dice. We just crapped out. I understand Best Player Available, but if Rivers doesn't get some protection then next year that BPA is going to have to be a QB because he's going to get killed.
If we reach for offensive line when there is no talent worth our pick on the board, Rivers could still be screwed and we would miss out on a good player at another position in the bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFaiderHater View Post
While I think in most years this would be the case, Buffalo is REAL thin at LB, and I while I agree that it's a reach, I just don't like any of the QB's this year, I think the biggest reach will be geno smith at number 1. I think someone will reach for him, there are always brain scratchers taken, Alualu, Tyson Jackson, Ponder, Heyward-Bey (even though he has only been slightly less productive than crabtree, on a much worse team.) the list goes on and on.
They're not real thin. Kelvin Sheppard is adequate. They could do better, but not to the point that they reach like that.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
If we reach for offensive line when there is no talent worth our pick on the board, Rivers could still be screwed and we would miss out on a good player at another position in the bargain.

They're not real thin. Kelvin Sheppard is adequate. They could do better, but not to the point that they reach like that.
I guess, Buffalo fans tend to disagree.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Hahaha.... yeah, that's what they've been screaming for over there. A new middle linebacker.

If they're going to reach, it'll be for a QB. Especially with a new regime coming in. That is, unless Marrone decides he wants to take his own guy- Nassib- in the 2nd.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Hahaha.... yeah, that's what they've been screaming for over there. A new middle linebacker.

If they're going to reach, it'll be for a QB. Especially with a new regime coming in. That is, unless Marrone decides he wants to take his own guy- Nassib- in the 2nd.
:0

I meant to say that they think that LB is a need, not that aren't screaming for a QB.

Also, Nassib in the second would be a good pick for them.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFaiderHater View Post
:0

I meant to say that they think that LB is a need, not that aren't screaming for a QB.

Also, Nassib in the second would be a good pick for them.
I was thinking that. But I mocked a QB to them anyways because if they pass in round 1, they'd have to trade up and over the Jets and the Jags to get the one they want in round 2.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
<<Offseason Program

Quote:

But if Fisher/Lewan are still there at 11 we HAVE to take them, right??
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJAX85 View Post
But if Fisher/Lewan are still there at 11 we HAVE to take them, right??
Fisher, yes. Lewan I'm not so sure. He's pretty sloppy technique wise. Might not represent a big upgrade at LT as a rookie. I think he needs at least one year on the right side. And if that's really the case, then I wouldn't say his value is all that terrific at #11.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM

Why in the world would we get a DT in the first round when that isnt even a need... So glad CMB members arent our GM's. We have huge needs in our O-line, Corner back and pass rusher with Jammer, philips and Barnes leaving in FA. They are getting old and we need people to replace them if English doesnt step up in his contract year. Hopefully he does since it is his last year to prove him self and has been healthy. CB and Tackle are our biggest needs with pass OLB coming in next.

Our D-line is solid enough already and we need draft picks that can contribute now not in 3-4 years which is how long a 3-4 DT takes to come together. Better to use a late round draft pick on one to replace cam in the future and Cam is becoming a great starter and NT.

Hell I would be happy with a WR if the oppurtunity presented it self with an AJ green type WR that got passed to us. Rivers is getting old and we need a WR where he can get some chemistry with and he will peak in 3-4 years if we get one this year early in the first 3 rounds when Rivers will be older.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbe View Post
Why in the world would we get a DT in the first round when that isnt even a need... So glad CMB members arent our GM's.

Our D-line is solid enough already and we need draft picks that can contribute now not in 3-4 years which is how long a 3-4 DT takes to come together. Better to use a late round draft pick on one to replace cam in the future and Cam is becoming a great starter and NT.
Because he would be the BPA available.

The Chargers are in the position they are now because AJ reached badly for needs from 2008-10 instead of just taking the BPA.

Star is an elite prospect, and you can't simply pass him up if he is there.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbe View Post
Why in the world would we get a DT in the first round when that isnt even a need... So glad CMB members arent our GM's. We have huge needs in our O-line, Corner back and pass rusher with Jammer, philips and Barnes leaving in FA. They are getting old and we need people to replace them if English doesnt step up in his contract year. Hopefully he does since it is his last year to prove him self and has been healthy. CB and Tackle are our biggest needs with pass OLB coming in next.

Hell I would be happy with a WR if the oppurtunity presented it self with an AJ green type WR that got passed to us. Rivers is getting old and we need a WR where he can get some chemistry with and he will peak in 3-4 years if we get one this year early in the first 3 rounds when Rivers will be older.
Reaching for need is always a great idea!!! We have a pro bowl ROLB and an excellent WR because we reached for need! Oh wait... no we don't. We have two first round busts.

It's pretty freaking ignorant to insult people's opinions because they don't fit the cookie cutter expectations for the Chargers offseason. We would be idiots to pass on Lotulelei for Lane Johnson or some lesser OL talent just because we needed it. And the same people saying things like this post above would be cursing our FO for being so stupid when it turns out in 3 years that we passed on a pro bowler for another bust.

Is Star the ideal first round pick this offseason? No. But as you can see, he has Joeckel, Fisher, Werner, Moore, and Milliner all off the board when we select.

Also, Franklin is a FA and Thomas is on the last year of his deal. We're not exactly flush at NT. Star would probably start as a rookie. Heck, Poe wasn't half the prospect Star is and he played about half of the snaps at NT as a rookie.