Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Default For All who wants a Mobile QB! Here is the Problem!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rg...030202476.html

RGIII Out for next season (Maybe)! I am sure he won't be, but that's the danger in having a QB like RGIII. The sad thing is I really like RGIII and I hope he is able to come back and play.

You take a BIG risk with a Mobile QB when you sign them as the face of your franchise. Now what are the Redskins going to do if RGIII can't play next season?

I will take a pocket passer any day of the week. A pocket passer is the way to go still in the NFL and that is not going to change for a LONG time. A running QB should only be used as an option not a franchise QB.

Has any running QB won the Super Bowl?
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Veteran

Blame Shananabanana for playing him if anything.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Hall of Famer

You need to differentiate between a running quarterback and a mobile quarterback. Big difference.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 AM
RIP Seau

Big Ben is a mobile QB and he won a couple SBs. I would say Rodgers is the same thing as well. They have enough speed and mobility to make plays when the pocket breaks down. Rivers doesn't. RG3 can probably do that if he loses his speed. He doesn't have to run. He can actually throw well regardless. The Skins will clearly turn to Cousins while they wait on RG3's recovery. I would also say Luck is in the same mold. Mobility for when the pocket breaks down. Same with Wilson. Even Ponder, Locker, Freeman all have mobility. They just can't throw that well. That is what the league is shifting towards. Not the Mike Vicks of the world who just scramble, you would get a Joe Webb who is that type of QB.

A QB like Hogan at Stanford could be that guy if he refines his passing game. He is a freshman so he has a couple years. But he is mobile. Chargers may draft him down the line when its time to part with Rivers.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Realist or Pessimist?

Steve Young was a bit of a runner and last time I checked he has a ring and is in the hall of fame. Your argument is invalid seeing how RGIII's injury is due to poor personnel decisions on behalf of his coaching and medical staff. The fact is that now all QBs will either have to be able to move and create plays in and out of the pocket or be a cerebral assassin like Peyton Manning. That's just the way it is.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

You've confused two different things:

"mobile quarterback" vs. "running quarterback".

Dan Marino is actually listed on the NFL Networks Top 10 mobile QB's of all time. And he was by NO means a "running quarterback."

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).

Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Hall of Famer

There is nothing wrong with mobility, hell Rodger's mobility is what separates him from Peyton and Brady.

But it was always silly when some fans claimed that the read option/running QB was the new wave. It was never going to last long since teams generally don't want their QB's running around taking hits.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

I can see all of your points, but there is some on here that would like to have RGIII and his style. I do not want that on this team for the simple reason he can and will get hurt and miss the season. The problem with a QB like RGIII he is good but won't make a whole season.

Rogers knows when to go down, and not take a hit. He is still a pocket passer and is lucky to get out of a sack if pressure gets to him. Rivers is lucky to break out of a paper bag, but we have seen him run when need be. He can be Mobile but he knows when to go down.

The point I am making the O-line being so bad a running QB would not help us and we would be even worse off than we are now. Having a running QB wouldn't matter as our offense is not geared for it and having a abysmal O-line is not going to make any QB type a better fit for us. The only difference would be RGIII would be out sooner in the season than the end.

Rivers has the Mobility to get out of something, he has done it before. He may not be as fast at Rogers or as elusive as Big Ben, but when push comes to shove he can and has gotten out of the pocket and ran for positive yards.

His problem is he does not trust in his run and he rather throw it, which leads to very bad plays. I think Rivers can be just as mobile as any QB if he would just trust in his running ability and run before throwing it at times.
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChargerFan View Post

I can see all of your points, but there is some on here that would like to have RGIII and his style. I do not want that on this team for the simple reason he can and will get hurt and miss the season. The problem with a QB like RGIII he is good but won't make a whole season.

Rogers knows when to go down, and not take a hit. He is still a pocket passer and is lucky to get out of a sack if pressure gets to him. Rivers is lucky to break out of a paper bag, but we have seen him run when need be. He can be Mobile but he knows when to go down.

The point I am making the O-line being so bad a running QB would not help us and we would be even worse off than we are now. Having a running QB wouldn't matter as our offense is not geared for it and having a abysmal O-line is not going to make any QB type a better fit for us. The only difference would be RGIII would be out sooner in the season than the end.

Rivers has the Mobility to get out of something, he has done it before. He may not be as fast at Rogers or as elusive as Big Ben, but when push comes to shove he can and has gotten out of the pocket and ran for positive yards.

His problem is he does not trust in his run and he rather throw it, which leads to very bad plays. I think Rivers can be just as mobile as any QB if he would just trust in his running ability and run before throwing it at times.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Hall of Famer

You should rename your thread title to "For All who wants a Running QB!"

(actually, it's "For All Who Want a Running QB!)

Very few people here want a running QB, like RG3 or Mike Vick. Mobility though is a great thing, look at what Russell Wilson has done this year.

One exception here is Kaepernick, who does run the ball. But what he did against the Packers was amazing.