Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Rookie

Default How good are the OL in this years class?

I believe we should draft multiple OL in this years draft in the early rounds. How do the top offensive lineman grade in comparison to some recent top 10 lineman i.e. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, etc.?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Rookie

its a pretty poor draft class for offensive line this year especially after the decisions of Lewan and Matthews to go back to college a few players standout but not many
4th. TJ Jones WR
5th. Ryan Carrethers DL
6th. Beau Allen DL
7th. Willie Snead WR
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Aww Shucks!

Top heavy. Not very deep.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Rookie

So basically we need Joekel or Fisher to somehow fall to us, or we are screwed.

Unless we sign a big time FA tackle.

What about at guard/center? Any guards projected value where we pick in rounds two and three? When is Barret Jones projected to go?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_da_GOAT View Post
So basically we need Joekel or Fisher to somehow fall to us, or we are screwed.

Unless we sign a big time FA tackle.

What about at guard/center? Any guards projected value where we pick in rounds two and three? When is Barret Jones projected to go?
Don't come by too often do ya? I know some of us have lives...

Joekel and Fisher are pretty much concensus ready-to-go LT.

I really like Aboushi. I think he can upgrade RT immediately, eventually move to LT.

Warmack is a beast and people are warming to idea of taking him at 11. I wouldn't be saddened at all if that happened. Pretty big drop off after him.

Barrett Jones is kinda all over the place. I think he's low 1st/high 2nd. A lot on here think he's a third rounder.
3. J. Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
4. B. Thomas, OG, Clemson
5. T. Gaffney, RB, Stanford
6. J. Bromley, DT, Syracuse
7. C. Lucas, OT, Kansas St
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post
Don't come by too often do ya? I know some of us have lives...

Joekel and Fisher are pretty much concensus ready-to-go LT.

I really like Aboushi. I think he can upgrade RT immediately, eventually move to LT.

Warmack is a beast and people are warming to idea of taking him at 11. I wouldn't be saddened at all if that happened. Pretty big drop off after him.

Barrett Jones is kinda all over the place. I think he's low 1st/high 2nd. A lot on here think he's a third rounder.
Not on here too much, and when I am I mostly just read everyone's posts.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer

OT is pretty top heavy with Joeckel and Fisher. Then you got Aboushi, Pugh, and Johnson. You can also add Faulk to that 2nd tier. After the 2nd tier it is barren.

OG is better. You have Warmack who is Top 25, Cooper who is Top 50, Warford who is Top 50, Barrett Jones who is Top 75 and some decent mid to late round prospects.

OC is pretty weak. Braxston Cave is Top 75, Khaled Holmes who is a mid to late round guy. Travis Frederick might be Top 75 as well, need to see more before I decide. He flashes some talent though.
2. Marcus Smith _-34OLB-_ Louisville
Jon Halapio _-OG-_ Florida
4. Marcus Martin _-C-_ USC
5. Josh Huff _-WR-_ Oregon
6. Deandre Coleman _-34DE-_ Cal

7. Jemea Thomas _-CB-_ GT
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Draft This Man

OT is basically some 1st/2nd round guys then nothing except some projects like Watson. Guard has a guy who I think is a top 10 prospect, should go top 20. Then some second rounders. Center is weak, aside from Frederick, who is also a guard, and Cave.

sean of BSX
Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Rookie

Looks like we have plenty of worthy options to choose from.

I honestly would be happy with drafting OL in the first three rounds: Fisher or Warmack in the first, Aboushi or Cooper in the second, and B. Jones, Cave or Frederick in the third.

Either that or we need to draft Fran Tarkenton, because I am sick of PR getting plastered before making it to his second progression.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
OT is pretty top heavy with Joeckel and Fisher. Then you got Aboushi, Pugh, and Johnson. You can also add Faulk to that 2nd tier. After the 2nd tier it is barren.

OG is better. You have Warmack who is Top 25, Cooper who is Top 50, Warford who is Top 50, Barrett Jones who is Top 75 and some decent mid to late round prospects.

OC is pretty weak. Braxston Cave is Top 75, Khaled Holmes who is a mid to late round guy. Travis Frederick might be Top 75 as well, need to see more before I decide. He flashes some talent though.
I actually like this OT class quite a bit for the top 3 rounds. No real elite prospect (Joeckel is good, but still not to the point where he should be elite, definitely not a rare guy), but 2 high first round guys (Fisher/Joeckel should be top 10-15/top 5-10 respectively). After that it gets a little hazey. Then theres a class of guys who have questions. Dallas Thomas (See Brandon Albert, to a slight less extent, should be a LT, elite recruit and lack of OG depth drove him to be a LG, should be a OT in the NFL, LT film from last year is very impressive), Lane Johnson (Off the radar last year due to Donald Stephenson being a top prospect, really played well this year, LT worthy tape), Oday Aboushi (Project, will take quite a while to be a starter in the NFL, but has LT potential, better ZBS guy, not very good strength), Kyle Long (Beastly athlete, Raw, but elite LT potential, filled in at OG this year, but definitely a LT in the NFL, nasty attitude, bloodlines), Justin Pugh (Smaller school, doesn't have a ton of bulk, other than that, quick feet, strong for only being 300, not a great athlete, but a bigtime hustle player, will make a solid LT).

OG is a great class, with Coop, Warmack, I have Frederick as a OG and at that, as the 2nd OG, over Cooper. Gabe Jackson is good, Warford, Alvin Bailey and Thornton are both 3rd roudners, Uzzi is interesting, and guys like JC Tretter and Eric Bakharti (who declared) are guys who could be impact Guards early in their career, both are nasty attitude, hustle OG's that are solid technically.

C is a normal class. Barrett Jones is a better prospect than his tape shows, simply because he's one of those guys who just gets it...incredibly smart player, that will understand an offense, and make every call at the line, and be a solid player, but wont make an impact with his play. Holmes is not great, but he can definitely find a home as a ZBS guy, for a team like the Packers/Houston. Guys like Cave/Benevenides/Pocic are decent mid round guys, and i guess the C from Cal has built some momentum coming down the stretch. Frederick is a good C, but a much better power man OG, so he can be added to this class. Ok...this is a pretty horrible C class...haha