Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En EspaŮol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Jets are in a tailspin looking for their next GM

Be thankful we got Telesco. Not saying he'll be a rockstar in this league. But we can hope.

Jet's are bringing in Jim Popp. Popp is the general manager of the Montreal Alouettes and has had quite a bit of success up there. He's had 10 championship appearances and 4 championships as a GM - he's also coached the team. He's in the "sports hall of fame" and was the 2011 "executive of the year".

The Jet's message board thinks he'll be a great hire if they are moving to the Canadian Football league. But aren't sold on how his experience will transfer to the NFL.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=76493

from their board

"Grey Cup here we come!

Look out Edmonton, the New York Jets are comin'!"
Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Watch them hire him and win the Super Bowl.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Hall of Famer

I realy hope Jimmy Raye stays in SD.

I think the Jets are a disaster waiting to happen. Going to be very difficult for the GM. It looks like Rex is going to have say in the GM's decision making process. Is the coach working for the GM or the GM working for the coach?

New York Jets General Manager Rumors: Jimmy Raye Out of Running Before He's In?

#Jets GM update: Forget Jimmy Raye. That's not happening. Interview never scheduled.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...running-before
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM

That's funny.

I see some fans are trying to put a positive spin on it. Quaint.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper300zx View Post
Watch them hire him and win the Super Bowl.

It wouldn't shock me. Question is he a leader of men or good at evaluating talent. The salary cap in the canadian football league is about $4.35 million. Sounds very risky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League
The CFL began enforcing a salary cap for the 2007 season of $4.05 million per team. The cap was raised to $4.2 million in the 2008 season and remained at that level for 2009.[45] On June 29, 2010, a new collective bargaining agreement was ratified that raised the salary cap to $4.25 million for the 2010 CFL season and would continue to increase by $50,000 each season until 2013.[46] Financial penalties for teams that breach the cap are set at $1 to $1 for the first $100,000 over, $2 to $1 for $100,000 to $300,000 over, and $3 to $1 for $300,000 and above. Penalties could also include forfeited draft picks.[47] For 2010, the minimum team salary was set at $3.9 million while the minimum player salary was set at $42,000.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oside89 View Post
It wouldn't shock me. Question is he a leader of men or good at evaluating talent. The salary cap in the canadian football league is about $4.35 million. Sounds very risky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League
The CFL began enforcing a salary cap for the 2007 season of $4.05 million per team. The cap was raised to $4.2 million in the 2008 season and remained at that level for 2009.[45] On June 29, 2010, a new collective bargaining agreement was ratified that raised the salary cap to $4.25 million for the 2010 CFL season and would continue to increase by $50,000 each season until 2013.[46] Financial penalties for teams that breach the cap are set at $1 to $1 for the first $100,000 over, $2 to $1 for $100,000 to $300,000 over, and $3 to $1 for $300,000 and above. Penalties could also include forfeited draft picks.[47] For 2010, the minimum team salary was set at $3.9 million while the minimum player salary was set at $42,000.
Having that amount of success in a Canadian league is tough to evaluate -- it could either which way. Could show he's great with money -- could just mean the demand is so low and he's winning in a non-competitive environment. Who knows. I'm sure he's capable, either way. But still he'd be 1 of 32 GM's in a super competitive league -- chances are against all individuals.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM
RyanMathews

Jets are a big mess, they scheduled Omar Khan of the Steelers for an interview. Khan who is a capologist, not even in the scouting department..

Last edited by RyanMathews; 01-10-2013 at 05:40 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Hall of Famer

As first, the size of the Jetsí G.M. search prompted some league insiders to say, essentially, ďJed Hughes must be getting paid by the hour. Or maybe by the interview.Ē
But Hughes, the veteran NFL headhunter hired by owner Woody Johnson to find a successor to Mike Tannenbaum, isnít merely milking the billion-dollar bosom of a Band-Aid heir. Hughes is genuinely having trouble finding a good candidate to take the job.
The Jets wanted Dave Caldwell, who picked the Jaguars. Then the Jets wanted Tom Telesco, who bolted to San Diego.

When candidates who have options opt to go elsewhere, thatís a problem.

Former Browns and Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert previously canceled an interview, Ravens assistant G.M. Eric DeCosta resisted overtures from the Jets, former Bills, Panthers, and Colts G.M. Bill Polian wasnít interested in the job (itís not clear how interested the job was in him).
Mehta confirms that Gambleís interview didnít go well, prompting the one-time frontrunner to fall off the map completely

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eps-expanding/
Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Hall of Famer

What GM would want to be a part of that circus? I tell you what though, I would pay good money to watch the New York media versus AJ "The Lord of No Rings" Smith. Imagine if that happened

Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Maybe they'll let Rex be the GM/HC.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Whew. That would rock!