Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
I'd take Whisenhunt or Mularkey under Holmgren... I bet neither Whisenhunt nor Mularkey get HC jobs next season.
Again, Holgrem and Whisenhunt come from vastly different backgrounds and would not ever try to run an offense together.

And I don't think Mularkey will get a HC job this season. Perhaps never again. But I don't know how you can say that about Whisenhunt when he's already been offered one HC job and is close to being offered another. Holgrem hasn't even been interviewed.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
#Rivers4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Its funny how you completely ignored everything he said.

Shurmur would be a more apt pick for a Holmgren OC
Its all opinion right? Kemp knows as much as anyone on this board which is next to nothing. What are the differences of their scheme's? I'm not buying it. Sorry...

Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Its all opinion right? Kemp knows as much as anyone on this board which is next to nothing. What are the differences of their scheme's? I'm not buying it. Sorry...
One runs a west coast offense, the other doesn't
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM

What makes people think coaches who have been fired recently would do any better here. If they couldnt make their previous team excel and play well then what makes people think they will do good here.

We already tried that with Norv. Either get a proven winner players will play their heart out for or get a known college coach who has similar qualities that get their players to play.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Holmgren runs the west coast offense. Timing routes, three step drops, etc. That's why Mariucci, Gruden, and Reid (all of whom were his assistants) ran the west coast offense on their own teams.

Whisenhunt runs a vertical offense predicated on the power running game. Remember the Steelers in the 90's with Jerome Bettis? That's his coaching pedigree.

But you can certainly believe that I'm making this stuff up if you want. I was just trying to explain to you why the combination of coaches you were suggesting is unrealistic. You obviously like Holmgren so someone from that style of offense would make more sense as an OC.

And the stuff about Whis getting offered a coaching job and being close to another while Holmgren hasn't gotten an interview isn't an opinion.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Holmgren runs the west coast offense. Timing routes, three step drops, etc. That's why Mariucci, Gruden, and Reid (all of whom were his assistants) ran the west coast offense on their own teams.

Whisenhunt runs a vertical offense predicated on the power running game. Remember the Steelers in the 90's with Jerome Bettis? That's his coaching pedigree.

But you can certainly believe that I'm making this stuff up if you want. I was just trying to explain to you why the combination of coaches you were suggesting is unrealistic. You obviously like Holmgren so someone from that style of offense would make more sense as an OC.

And the stuff about Whis getting offered a coaching job and being close to another while Holmgren hasn't gotten an interview isn't an opinion.
Ya well these facts are just your opinion man
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbe View Post
What makes people think coaches who have been fired recently would do any better here. If they couldnt make their previous team excel and play well then what makes people think they will do good here.

We already tried that with Norv. Either get a proven winner players will play their heart out for or get a known college coach who has similar qualities that get their players to play.
About half of the currently successful coaches in this league (and half the superbowl winners too) were fired from their first head coaching job. So to say that because someone got fired they must suck and aren't worth a look is myopic and laughable.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEsq View Post
Finally, someone who agrees with me on the Zimmer/Carmichael tandem. Disgusting defense along with offensive wizadry.

Why is this not getting more play!
Because successful OC's on stable coaching staffs don't leave their team to be OC's on a different staff. The only way we're getting Carmichael is as a head coach.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
#Rivers4MVP

Perhaps you are right, Whisenhunt would not be a good fit. Let him go to the Browns, I'm sure he'll be successful there right?