Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
Conversely, it's also possible that Rivers looked a little better than he really is when he had 3 pro-bowlers on the OL, LT (only one of the best RBs of all time), Gates, Sproles and better WRs.
Yeah it's possible but the gap in offensive production between those teams and the team this year is way larger than the gap in PR's ability between then and now. In other words, it certainly helped having that many weapons but they didn't make Rivers what he is. In my mind anyway.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
Conversely, it's also possible that Rivers looked a little better than he really is when he had 3 pro-bowlers on the OL, LT (only one of the best RBs of all time), Gates, Sproles and better WRs.
2010 already disproved that.

The offensive line in 2010 was statistically average and Gates, Jackson, and Floyd were injured or out for the majority of the year and Rivers had his best season.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
2010 already disproved that.

The offensive line in 2010 was statistically average and Gates, Jackson, and Floyd were injured or out for the majority of the year and Rivers had his best season.
It may have been statistically his best season but he had ample opportunity to tie or win games in the 4th Q and failed every single time. Since then it's been all downhill. Even Norv stated that PRs problems started in 2010 and whatever they were/are never got fixed and the O line got worse.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
It may have been statistically his best season but he had ample opportunity to tie or win games in the 4th Q and failed every single time. Since then it's been all downhill. Even Norv stated that PRs problems started in 2010 and whatever they were/are never got fixed and the O line got worse.
He wouldn't have needed to tie or win games in the 4th quarter so often if the special teams wasn't so awful that year.

Rivers was GREAT in 2010.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I think the plan (and its probably a fair one) is to see what Rivers does with a new O-line, new play-caller, and new new head coach. I'm not convinced the receivers need to be overhauled. (Note to new HC: Get Rosario and Greene more targets).

We'll know pretty quick if he still plays poorly, or if he can be our guy for a few years. Meantime, I'd be shocked if they didn't evaluate Whitehurst, and, if needed, change our back up QB -- or at least take a shot at a mid-round QB prospect.

Just in case.
Basically this. Thanks for saving me time. Good post.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
I don't post much in GD, but I'll give you guys my take on Rivers.

His arm strength is the same that it always was. His decision making is still the same. Two things have changed. His technique and his weapons.

His offensive line gives him to room to step up into the pocket, and his targets aside from DX have not been able to create much separation. Rivers is one of the best at climbing the ladder, and throwing in tight spaces. However, if he can't step up, then he can't make the same throws he has been known to make.

2nd: His technique. Most QBs generate their throwing power, through 3 motions. One is to set the feet, and throw leaning forward off the front foot. If you have pressure up the middle, that is scary for a QB. Two is by rotating your hips, your body follows and increases your arm speed. Three is arm strength which I already said hasn't changed.

So what has: Rivers isn't setting his feet on every throw. And because he has less time in the pocket, he has less time to start his throwing motion, which means he doesn't get full hip rotation, and his throws lose power. Then the fans think his arm stength has declined.

IMO, that is the biggest reason Norv and AJ had to go. AJ failed to rebuild our OL, and Norv failed to correct the sloppy fundamentals that Rivers had developed. When you are termed a QB guru, your QB should play with perfect technique. River's hasn't these past two seasons. Whoever comes in, Arians or Roman hopefully, will correct that. And Telesco is obciously not afraid to dedicate an entire draft to one side of the ball. Let's hope he dedicates a lot of this draft on our OL.
Wow. Great post too. I'm just going to shut up now and eat popcorn on the sidelines.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Rookie

Yeah we will be going after quarterbacks in the draft...and through free agency. I know a lot of you are still Rivers fans...and the ownership as well. Not so sure about our new GM and future HC. They have been watching Rivers play too...and even though I'm sure he'll get another chance to be the starter what if he fails again? This new group is not going to let the poor play of Rivers take us down for a whole season like Norv did. We need fresh horses.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUBfan View Post
Yeah we will be going after quarterbacks in the draft...and through free agency. I know a lot of you are still Rivers fans...and the ownership as well. Not so sure about our new GM and future HC. They have been watching Rivers play too...and even though I'm sure he'll get another chance to be the starter what if he fails again? This new group is not going to let the poor play of Rivers take us down for a whole season like Norv did. We need fresh horses.
Think of it this way. There's no way they are going to get someone to challenge Rivers this year. What they'll do if they're smart is get a line to protect the QB because if Rivers does stink it up next year, the next guy is going to need protection as well.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Go Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
I don't post much in GD, but I'll give you guys my take on Rivers.

His arm strength is the same that it always was. His decision making is still the same. Two things have changed. His technique and his weapons.

His offensive line gives him to room to step up into the pocket, and his targets aside from DX have not been able to create much separation. Rivers is one of the best at climbing the ladder, and throwing in tight spaces. However, if he can't step up, then he can't make the same throws he has been known to make.

2nd: His technique. Most QBs generate their throwing power, through 3 motions. One is to set the feet, and throw leaning forward off the front foot. If you have pressure up the middle, that is scary for a QB. Two is by rotating your hips, your body follows and increases your arm speed. Three is arm strength which I already said hasn't changed.

So what has: Rivers isn't setting his feet on every throw. And because he has less time in the pocket, he has less time to start his throwing motion, which means he doesn't get full hip rotation, and his throws lose power. Then the fans think his arm stength has declined.

IMO, that is the biggest reason Norv and AJ had to go. AJ failed to rebuild our OL, and Norv failed to correct the sloppy fundamentals that Rivers had developed. When you are termed a QB guru, your QB should play with perfect technique. River's hasn't these past two seasons. Whoever comes in, Arians or Roman hopefully, will correct that. And Telesco is obciously not afraid to dedicate an entire draft to one side of the ball. Let's hope he dedicates a lot of this draft on our OL.
Good post.

Rivers can still be our guy. It's been said countless times, give him time in the pocket and he can make it work with average receivers. Dedicate this draft to the oline and we'll see Rivers go back to 2010 form.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran

I agree with the comment on Rivers' technique. But who is still learning technique (even from a guru like Norv) at age 31 ???!!!

I wish the draft had more QB options , but it doesn't. So therefore we will have at least 1 more year of Philip (and his turnovers) before we draft our next QB