Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
In Tom We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
I just find it kind of interesting that both Rivers and Hardwick have both addressed this exact same topic. I am wondering if GMs getting to know their players and communicating with them is more of the norm around the league than we think. Listening to Rivers, Brees, and Hardwick, it sure seems to be.
and to be honest thats how it should be... in the corporate world ... I'm going to have a more intimate working relationship with my manager, but i'm still going to have some communication going on with my district manager, majorly in the interest of office politics and to understand the way he may feel about an idea or a certain behavior.

Animation is not allowed in signatures. -Moderator

Thanks Moderator for clearing that up. -AirCoryell1981
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCoryell1981 View Post
and to be honest thats how it should be... in the corporate world ... I'm going to have a more intimate working relationship with my manager, but i'm still going to have some communication going on with my district manager, majorly in the interest of office politics and to understand the way he may feel about an idea or a certain behavior.
I completely agree with you
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Maybe TT should go all undercover boss on the Chargers. Fake beard, pads, southern accent, fake tattoos, come in posing as a kicker, or training staff assistant, get to know the players and how they really feel about the organization.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Easy Sundiego. I know you caught a whiff of someone possibly defending A.J., but you can stand down... that's not what's happening here.
RAWR RAWR

I was actually suprised by the extent Smith was not involved. It is good to see our next GM will be involved. Honestly it is good to know your employees in all aspects of business.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiego View Post
AJ Smith was a huge problem. He had a disconnect from the players, team, and in the end you see the coaching staff. He had issues with Marty and even with Norv it carried. That is one reason people are not pounding at the door for AJ.

Look the Jets are looking at a guy from Canada before they try AJ Smith... That should tell you something.

The GM should, and by far most of them do, have some relationship with their players. Its nice to say " keep them at a distance" yet the vast majority of GMs talk to their players. In fact a lot of CEO, CFO and owners of companies do this as well.

If you can't sepparate personal feelings from your job, IE keeping a player only because you are friends, then you shouldnt be doing that job. Ivory Tower Management, if you have studied Management, is one of the worst styles. Your the GM, not Rapunzel.
there were 5 GMs canned this week, NONE of them are getting any love. Lets not make this into an AJ Smith and his disconnection with the coaches and players.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
there were 5 GMs canned this week, NONE of them are getting any love. Lets not make this into an AJ Smith and his disconnection with the coaches and players.
Just saying last year the CMB and some San Diego News outlets (Accee) were saying how fast AJ Smith would be snatched up if we let him go...
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Simodine

I don't think there is anything wrong with the GM getting to know the players. Not saying they should go out for drink but having small talk to try and motiviate never hurts.

The more the GM is liked the better the chances the good players will stay. I would rather the GM be friendly and all of the players love him over the Coach.

The Coach is the guy who needs to be the hard ass. How many more players might we have kept if AJ was a more liked person?

How much less negative media would we have received?

I don't want the GM underminding the coach but go say hello, talk to the players...Inspire!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiego View Post
Just saying last year the CMB and some San Diego News outlets (Accee) were saying how fast AJ Smith would be snatched up if we let him go...
People on here said Norv would struggle to find a job while AJ would be first in line to interview at any position he wanted.

Funny how a single season can change everything huh
Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM
UnModerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNAFTA View Post
Maybe TT should go all undercover boss on the Chargers. Fake beard, pads, southern accent, fake tattoos, come in posing as a kicker, or training staff assistant, get to know the players and how they really feel about the organization.
I like it! : )
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post

One more note, he also said it was extremely hard on all the players playing for a coach/GM who were basically dead men walking.
I know this thread is about AJ and his failure to get to know his subordinates, but does no one find this comment to be alarming.

Norv and AJ were not basically dead men walking if the team made the playoffs. And in fact, once the team was almost completely eliminated (when they were in fact dead men walking) the team started to play better and win games. So how on earth was it hard on them to play for norv and aj? And why would rivers, gates, weddle (pretty sure hardwick was a norv supporter) lobby for norv to return only to make the excuse that it was hard to play for them because their jobs werent safe.

Im thinking the excuse next year will be, it was hard learning a completely different system with a ton of new coaches and personnel.

-Mario Lopez
Closed Thread