Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Jay Gruden for HC?
Yes 14 32.56%
No 29 67.44%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Chargerfn909's Avatar
Chargerfn909 Chargerfn909 is offline
The snoring Giant...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 2,372
Default

He simply does not have enough experience, not to mention he got walloped by Wade Phillips in that playoff game.

I'll trust that Telesco makes the right decision. It can never hurt to bring anyone in for an interview, that's for sure.
__________________
First Mock of '13
1st) Jarvis Jones, 34WOLB Georgia (OT's all gone)
2nd) Terron Armstead, OT Arkansas Pine Bluff
3rd) Le'Veon Bell, RB Mich St
4th) AJ Klein, ILB Iowa St
5th) Brandon McGee, CB Miami
6th) Joseph Fauria, TE UCLA
7th) Ray Ray Armstrong, SS Miami
  #22  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Kemp17's Avatar
Kemp17 Kemp17 is offline
Bolo Knows
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zootown
Posts: 14,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfn909 View Post
He simply does not have enough experience, not to mention he got walloped by Wade Phillips in that playoff game.

I'll trust that Telesco makes the right decision. It can never hurt to bring anyone in for an interview, that's for sure.
Experience is definitely a concern. But I won't blame him for that game against the Texans. For one, the Texans have done that against a lot of good OC's since Wade got there. For another, Dalton is totally overrated and just not a very good QB. That, or he's having a really bad sophomore slump.
__________________
Mock

1. K. Fuller, CB, Va. Tech
2. C. Latimer, WR, Indiana
3. C. Reid, NT, Princeton
4. J. Gayle, OLB, Va. Tech
5. B. Thomas, G, Clemson
6. J. Urschel, C, Penn State
7. B. Allen, NT, Wisconsin

  #23  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Chargerfn909's Avatar
Chargerfn909 Chargerfn909 is offline
The snoring Giant...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 2,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Experience is definitely a concern. But I won't blame him for that game against the Texans. For one, the Texans have done that against a lot of good OC's since Wade got there. For another, Dalton is totally overrated and just not a very good QB. That, or he's having a really bad sophomore slump.
I'd say its a mixture between being a bit overrated and having a bit of a sophomore year slump.

I think Green has really made him look better than he is, but he's not terrible either. The truth is that I haven't sat down and watched enough Bungal games to make an honest evaluation, but I think he's a middle of the pack guy until he proves otherwise.
__________________
First Mock of '13
1st) Jarvis Jones, 34WOLB Georgia (OT's all gone)
2nd) Terron Armstead, OT Arkansas Pine Bluff
3rd) Le'Veon Bell, RB Mich St
4th) AJ Klein, ILB Iowa St
5th) Brandon McGee, CB Miami
6th) Joseph Fauria, TE UCLA
7th) Ray Ray Armstrong, SS Miami
  #24  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Weddle46 Weddle46 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 1,250
Default

What qualifications does Gruden have?

He has never HC in the NFL, been a coordinator but hasn't accomplished much. People credit him for making Dalton look good last year then shouldn't he get discredited his year for making Dalton look like crap?
  #25  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Chargerfn909's Avatar
Chargerfn909 Chargerfn909 is offline
The snoring Giant...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 2,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weddle46 View Post
What qualifications does Gruden have?

He has never HC in the NFL, been a coordinator but hasn't accomplished much. People credit him for making Dalton look good last year then shouldn't he get discredited his year for making Dalton look like crap?

Basically what happens to any coordinator that hasn't been a HC is: Word travels that they have a knack for teaching, leading, getting the most out of players. GM's and owners then start to look at their body of work as a coordinator (like turning that stale Bengal O, into a respectable one with a young QB). They do they due-diligence to find out what the players think of the guy. If the word starts to heat up that the have 'HC qualities" they then bring them in and interview them. -- Good GM's know what they are looking for in a HC. They know when a candidate has a good plan, a good way of communicating and getting through to their players etc..


I think what makes a great HC is someone who adapts on the fly. They play to their players strenghts, they know how to motivate men that are getting paid millions of dollars to just SHOW UP. Mike McCoy is a perfect example. Started with Orton, benched him, start Tebow and totally re-adjusts the whole offense to make Tebow actually work. -- You guys think Norv would have added a spread option offense? Hecccckkkk NO.
__________________
First Mock of '13
1st) Jarvis Jones, 34WOLB Georgia (OT's all gone)
2nd) Terron Armstead, OT Arkansas Pine Bluff
3rd) Le'Veon Bell, RB Mich St
4th) AJ Klein, ILB Iowa St
5th) Brandon McGee, CB Miami
6th) Joseph Fauria, TE UCLA
7th) Ray Ray Armstrong, SS Miami
  #26  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Weddle46 Weddle46 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 1,250
Default

Yea I like McCoy a lot too because of exactly what you just said: ability to adapt to any situation
  #27  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Kemp17's Avatar
Kemp17 Kemp17 is offline
Bolo Knows
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zootown
Posts: 14,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weddle46 View Post
Yea I like McCoy a lot too because of exactly what you just said: ability to adapt to any situation
In three years with Whisenhunt in charge of the Pittsburgh offense, they were built to run and he led them to being 2nd, 5th, and 10th in rushing.

Once he landed in Arizona, they were clearly built to throw the ball. So he installed the offense around the passing game and went 5th and 2nd in passing during his first two years with Warner.

That's called adapting to your situation.
__________________
Mock

1. K. Fuller, CB, Va. Tech
2. C. Latimer, WR, Indiana
3. C. Reid, NT, Princeton
4. J. Gayle, OLB, Va. Tech
5. B. Thomas, G, Clemson
6. J. Urschel, C, Penn State
7. B. Allen, NT, Wisconsin

  #28  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Chargrfan Chargrfan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 5,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
In three years with Whisenhunt in charge of the Pittsburgh offense, they were built to run and he led them to being 2nd, 5th, and 10th in rushing.

Once he landed in Arizona, they were clearly built to throw the ball. So he installed the offense around the passing game and went 5th and 2nd in passing during his first two years with Warner.

That's called adapting to your situation.
When have the Steelers not been built to run?

Sorry, not trying to bash you but ever since I have started watching football, the Steelers have been a run dominated team.

And once he landed in Arizona, he pretty much gave the keys to Kurt Warner and pointed at Boldin, Fitzgerald, Breaston and that OL and said "Here are your toys. Go make me proud".

Whiz had as much influence on the Cards in 08 as John Fox does this year with Peyton as QB.
  #29  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Pink Parakeet Pink Parakeet is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Coto de Caza
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargrfan View Post
When have the Steelers not been built to run?

Sorry, not trying to bash you but ever since I have started watching football, the Steelers have been a run dominated team.

And once he landed in Arizona, he pretty much gave the keys to Kurt Warner and pointed at Boldin, Fitzgerald, Breaston and that OL and said "Here are your toys. Go make me proud".

Whiz had as much influence on the Cards in 08 as John Fox does this year with Peyton as QB.
So he did adapt to his team though? Because that was the point being proved. Whether or not the Steelers have always been a run based team is irrelevent, whats more important is that when he was and they had the make up for a run based offense he made it work and made one of the best rushing teams in the league. Then in Arizona he was able to realize that his old offense wouldn't work and adjusted to a pass base offense.
It shows that he knows how to use his tools and allow his talent to do what they do best. I'd be more worried if it was the other way around.

Its funny too because the biggest counter-example to your argument was sitting right in front of you all season --> 7/9 Saints
  #30  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Pink Parakeet Pink Parakeet is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Coto de Caza
Posts: 1,497
Default

I'm confused. People shout all day, "NO RETREADS!!!" yet now people are arguing against Gruden because he has no HC experience. Then in other forums people claim that Jon Gruden and Cowher have been out of the game too long and they want a fresh face. Then others say that they don't want college coaches because they won't fit into the nfl.
I knew very little about most of the top coaching candidates coming into the offseason, but everyday I think I just get more messed up and confused.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:18 AM.


© 2012 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.