Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you still believe in Rivers?
Yes 39 60.94%
Yes but we should still trade/sign/draft a QB 17 26.56%
No and we should trade/sign/draft a QB as replacment 8 12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Realist or Pessimist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgold View Post
Luck was head and shoulders above PR this year...

I don't know how Luck would have fared behind the Chargers o-line? How could I know that?
Don't worry about the o-line comment. The Chargers o-line is the go to(although somewhat valid) excuse for Rivers supporters. But I know this one fact: Luck went to the playoffs and was sacked only eight less times than Rivers. Heck, Aaron Rodgers was sacked more than Rivers, still put up elite numbers and is still alive in the playoffs.

The honest truth about Rivers is that he's as good as the parts around him. In the past he could get away with forcing balls into coverage because he had a prime Gates and 6'5" receivers all over the field who could go get the ball. That's not the case anymore. Also, his arm seems to be declining as well. If we have a bunch of pieces around him then I still believe he could get it done to some extent. But the days of Rivers being elite have come and gone.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Sproles and LT both led in receptions. Don't believe either was 6'8''.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Rookie

"People have every right to doubt Rivers. He has struggled deeply and made absolutely horrific decisions. He has loss hit edge, his winners mentality. I personally have no confidence in him in the 4th quarter. And it seems like even he himself has no confidence in himself.

One thing about Rivers I have always liked while early in his career was his ability to move on from his mistakes and still battle and find a way to win. Back in the day if he threw 2 picks it didn't phase him. It was like he had short term memory and would lead us back for a win. Or he would be playing horribly but yet when the 4th quarter hit he was clutch. Until we get that Rivers back he will be highly criticized."

Some of Rivers "bad decisions" were a desire to win. if there is no other option at least the "slim to none" chance give's you some chance.

Last edited by Packwolf74; 01-10-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwolf74 View Post

Some of Rivers "bad decisions" were a desire to win. if there is no other option at least the "slim to none" chance give's you some chance.
I think you nailed it. Most people don't want to look at the fact that Rivers was trying to win. For two season he felt like HE alone had to get it done. Which is what leads to some of the most dumbest plays I have ever seen in the NFL. Tampa Bay still makes me laugh!

Rivers needs to remember this is a team sport. There is no question some of his INT's were on him and him alone. Yet, I know Rivers is still Elite and he can come back from his two year slump.
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Hall of Famer

I have to see him operate under a new system with better guys blocking for him before I give up. Nonetheless, we should start looking at drafting a guy who can develop of need be
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwolf74 View Post
Yes, some were a result of a desire to win and others...

Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 PM
All-Pro

I still believe Rivers can be a top caliber QB. The guy needs an oline! That said, I do get jealous watching kaepernick, Wilson, Griffen, Luck.....highly mobile Qbs with strong arms. Is a coincidence all 4 are (were) in the playoffs. Should we move in this direction: Mariota, Manziel, Brett Hogan in the future.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Draft Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobrett View Post
I still believe Rivers can be a top caliber QB. The guy needs an oline! That said, I do get jealous watching kaepernick, Wilson, Griffen, Luck.....highly mobile Qbs with strong arms. Is a coincidence all 4 are (were) in the playoffs. Should we move in this direction: Mariota, Manziel, Brett Hogan in the future.

Yes...they need to move in that direction. Thats not to say replace Rivers right away on the other hand if you got a Kaepernick in the draft that in short time he would take over the position. The super athletic QB who is a multi is the future of the game.