Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman76 View Post
To me it's not nearly as much about getting better receivers. In 2010 Rivers played a lot without his top receivers and did pretty well spreading it around to some fairly average guys. And Brown should be back next season which will help as well.

I think it's not even 100% about improving the o-line, although clearly that's badly needed. To me the real issue is a combination of o-line improvement and adjusting the offensive approach.

You can compensate for a average/bad o-line by using shorter-developing pass plays that get the ball out more quickly (see Green Bay). Norv's vertical passing game approach requires either a lot of quality pass-blocking or a QB who can buy time for the longer developing pass plays. Since Rivers isn't that kind of QB and the line played poorly, it's little wonder we struggled with the passing game this year.

We desperately need to improve the o-line but you can only do so much in one offseason. I think we also need to adjust the whole passing game philosophy to use more slants, quick-outs, and comeback routes and take more of a quick-throw, run-after-catch approach. I think some combination of these two things would do wonders for Rivers' production and is more important than getting new receivers.
Agreed, I remember when Aaron Rodgers was getting pummeled back in early 2010, they tried to bring in more protection with backs, tight ends & extra linemen but it didn't help. They adjusted the scheme, brought in 4 & 5 receiver sets & went with shorter developing pass plays with an emphasis on getting the ball out quickly & Rodgers has consistently been one of the best QB's since.

Norv never adjusted the offensive scheme, he kept calling down-the-field pass plays using 7-step drops with an o-line that couldn't provide adequate protection.

As far as O-linemen, I think the Chargers should target the best run-blockers in the draft & free-agency, even if they lack in pass blocking ability. The scheme can compensate for poor pass protection. The 4 remaining teams in the playoffs can run the ball or at least pose a legitimate threat of running the football. The Patriots run a scheme that covers up deficiencies in pass protection, but at least have o-linemen that can open up holes in the run game, something that the recently eliminated Packers didn't.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUBfan View Post
You're never gonna get any hurry/no huddle quick moving offense with Rivers...nothing about him is quick...mentally, or physically.
The Chargers are the slowest moving team in the leauge giving the D plenty of adjust time. Good thing Weddle is on our side or he'd have a grip of PR INT's.
If we could find a team that wanted Rivers we should get what he can bring now.
Question: What team would be a 'good fit' for Rivers?
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are not exactly RG3, and they run the no huddle just fine. Just because Norv couldn't bring himself to adjust his system to accommodate his personnel doesn't mean the new HC won't be able to.

RIP Junior
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestigious5150 View Post
Rivers may not be dumb, but he's no Peyton Manning (but then again who is?). I rarely see Rivers making significant adjustments at the line or break down what the defense is doing and make adjustments on the fly. No defense in the league fears Rivers from the mental aspect. With guys like Manning, Brees, Brady, and Rodgers you can't make a mistake. If you do they will make you pay 9 times out of 10. Plus, smart QBs don't force the ball into coverage.
I think a lot of that depends on the system and the HC. Not every offense is designed for the QB to make a lot of adjustments at the line.

Rivers' dad was a HS football coach, and IIRC Rivers was known for being a student of the game from early on.

Smart QB's don't force the ball into coverage, a lot. But a QB is always taking calculated risks. I'm not saying Rivers has got it all down pat, but for most of his career Rivers has done it better than most all of the league.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolfan11 View Post
He wouldn't have needed to tie or win games in the 4th quarter so often if the special teams wasn't so awful that year.

Rivers was GREAT in 2010.
That can keep going around in circles forever. I agree Rivers is not responsible for the team's record that year. But his lack of success in 4th quarter comebacks can also be analyzed independently, and don't bode well for the offense (as a whole) that season.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Time View Post
I think a lot of that depends on the system and the HC. Not every offense is designed for the QB to make a lot of adjustments at the line.

Rivers' dad was a HS football coach, and IIRC Rivers was known for being a student of the game from early on.

Smart QB's don't force the ball into coverage, a lot. But a QB is always taking calculated risks. I'm not saying Rivers has got it all down pat, but for most of his career Rivers has done it better than most all of the league.
Bingo.

Rivers has never had full control of the offense like Brady or Peyton does and that is primarily do to Norv, whom has always had control over the offense. It is not that Rivers mentally can't do it, because from all accounts(Greg Cosell, Jaws), Rivers is one of the smarter QB's out there.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM
The Boltman is back

Rivers will show his best under Mccoy
San Diego Super Chargers!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrhoo View Post
Rivers will show his best under Mccoy

Agree. I think he atleast has earned the chance without question. I cant understand the desire by so many here to move on.

They guy has been stellar with the exception of the last two years. And the last two years were not Skelton or Kolb bad. Actually they were better than 1/2 of the leagues QB play.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzCO View Post
Agree. I think he atleast has earned the chance without question. I cant understand the desire by so many here to move on.

They guy has been stellar with the exception of the last two years. And the last two years were not Skelton or Kolb bad. Actually they were better than 1/2 of the leagues QB play.

NOT Skelton or Kolb Bad??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has more turnovers in the past 3 seasons than bums like Kolb, Skelton, Gabbert, Sanchez and many others.

McCoy better be a miracle worker in Year 1 or the Bolts are definitely going after a new QB in 2014
Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Who dose Spanos pay the most money?
I would beleive Telesco,McCoy,and Wiz,where hired to make the highest paid person succeed.