Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
I know this may get merged but with what we have suffered through with AJ continually wasting picks by reaching to fill a need, I thought this comment from Telesco would be music to all of our ears. This came from his live Q&A with the fans today:

[Comment From SteffanSteffan: ]
Hi Tom. Welcome to the Chargers. What are your views on a draft philosophy, Biggest need v. Best player available
Thursday January 10, 2013 12:06 Steffan

12:07
Tom Telesco:
Steffan, we have always said that the best possible scenario is when on our draft board the need line equals the best player line. If the best player on the board happens to be one of our top needs, perfect. However, we will not reach for player not rated as high in order to fill needs. Very good question. Thanks!
I already love this guy. After listening to AJ's dictator crap nonsense, we finally have a team player, not power player, (Telesco's words BTW, not mine).
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbie View Post
Unfortunately, we would never really know which players was rated as high or not.

AJ could defend himself by saying that Weddle, Buster, English, Hester, and so on picks was not reach since they were rated "that" high on their board at the time of the draft.

But he is smart enough to win some fans who were still irked by AJ decision to reach for some players who didn't pan out well.
It would be safe to use the general consensus of the 'draft guru's rankings' to determine any possible reach. If it is close, then the argument is fair, but if most experts are calling it a reach, then......

GO BOLTS !
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran

Truth in this statement

[/B][/B]QUOTE=MrNAFTA;4074846]Franchise tagging Sproles twice, for more money than he would of gotten in a 5yr contract was almost too painful to watch. We have to lock in players before their contracts are up and we get desperate. For example locking up Butler before 2013 is over would be a big plus.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Thor Hammer Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I already love this guy. After listening to AJ's dictator crap nonsense, we finally have a team player, not power player, (Telesco's words BTW, not mine).

So no reaching. Good. I also notice he said "we". It seemed against the grain questionable picks were made by AJ himself. If a guy's gonna bust I'd rather it be a prospect 10 other teams (and their respective scouting committees) wanted rather than a prospect nobody wanted (in that round).
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNAFTA View Post
Franchise tagging Sproles twice, for more money than he would of gotten in a 5yr contract was almost too painful to watch. We have to lock in players before their contracts are up and we get desperate. For example locking up Butler before 2013 is over would be a big plus.
Yeah, I never understood why Smith stopped doing that. I mean he did give LT a huge extentsion after his 3rd year, but he didn't do squat to resign V-Jax after 2008.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
Yeah, I never understood why Smith stopped doing that. I mean he did give LT a huge extentsion after his 3rd year, but he didn't do squat to resign V-Jax after 2008.
In fairness im not sure i would of thrown vj tens of millions of dollars when he was excercising very poor judgement of the field around that time. Huge risk unless we could have put a morality or character clause in his contract and an agent wont allow that to happen
Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
And don't forget that AJ also unwisely extended the contracts of several MARGINAL players, such as Jyles Tucker, Shane Olivea, and, of course Jeromey Clary, all of whom turned into busts...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
And we'll never know specifically which picks were reaches and which weren't according to them. But we do know that at least some were hotly contested by others on the staff (Raye apparently fought hard for David Harris over Buster Davis), leading me to think that some of our FO knew A.J.'s picks were reaches.

But A.J. more than most GM's had a penchant for taking players way ahead of where most projected them to go. Everyone does it occasionally, but Smith did it as much or more than anyone. So either his evaluation sucked and he had guys too high on his board, or he reached for need. Either way, it sucked.
I think this his his ego at play here as he wanted to get the kudos for taking the risk and taking a player nobody thought should be taken. If he took his rises in the 4th rds and not the first, we'd be in much better shape.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Butler's deal should get done, NaVorro Bowman's deal just got done, they were drafted the same year, have similar production, maybe Butlers would be a little cheaper, but both very good ILB's.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
And don't forget that AJ also unwisely extended the contracts of several MARGINAL players, such as Jyles Tucker, Shane Olivea, and, of course Jeromey Clary, all of whom turned into busts...
Lol Jyles Tucker.