Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's on my mind???
"Chop's warpaint > Paper bags, and is Alice Cooper approved" 3 5.56%
"Here is your cat crap sandwich" 4 7.41%
Will the LPTC ride again?....And will they be fueled by bacon? 3 5.56%
When should we permaban Gooey? 3 5.56%
dekk is master of the ponys 4 7.41%
Are we there yet, and is there any Bacon left??? 14 25.93%
This thread's still here??? 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Free Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I'll never forget that day. I took a cab to the base. Light drizzle. I started to tell the cabbie about where I needed to get. I was stuttering. He must have been laughing. He could tell by my demeanor exactly where I was going. I never did have to get it right. He even knew the sentry at the gate. That (minimal) conversation on the ride was the last conversation I ever had prior to the change the military makes in a person.
The most fun you'll never want to have again... Haha

"Seriously, I'm fixin' to come take your lunch money," Fluker said.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Who can ever forget stepping off the bus, arriving at boot camp? I've never been so confused, anxious, nervous, and shell shocked in my life. We hadn't even finished lining up, and one of the CC's started yelling at a kid about not knowing his right from his left.

Dropped everyone in their tracks for 50 pushups. Great start to an even better time.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Who can ever forget stepping off the bus, arriving at boot camp? I've never been so confused, anxious, nervous, and shell shocked in my life. We hadn't even finished lining up, and one of the CC's started yelling at a kid about not knowing his right from his left.

Dropped everyone in their tracks for 50 pushups. Great start to an even better time.
it was good for ya. i might even go so far as to recommend a refresher course for you.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
it was good for ya. i might even go so far as to recommend a refresher course for you.
You're kidding, right? I've got a live-in drill instructor/ninja/wife now.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
You're kidding, right? I've got a live-in drill instructor/ninja/wife now.
hahaha!! good one! I know exactly what you mean.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM

So I drove over to Birdseye this morning. Went about like I figured. Brought one kid back with me, told the other one thanks for his time and left him there.

I got there at 10am. This was the temp.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:

My initial arrival was quite pleasant for enlisted basic at Fort Knox. I got there late at night, and was taken over to my company area. The CQ guys on duty were real nice, and showed me where to sleep. In the morning, one of them came over and woke up me and a couple others, and told us where to go for breakfast.

About noon .... the DI's showed up, and most of the rest of the company started arriving. Then, it was "on" ....

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
My initial arrival was quite pleasant for enlisted basic at Fort Knox. I got there late at night, and was taken over to my company area. The CQ guys on duty were real nice, and showed me where to sleep. In the morning, one of them came over and woke up me and a couple others, and told us where to go for breakfast.

About noon .... the DI's showed up, and most of the rest of the company started arriving. Then, it was "on" ....
It was about the same for us. There were about 40 of us who all showed up at the same time.

They mustered us as a group, went through our stuff, then took us to a berthing area. They assigned us to our company, and then left. Said someone would be there in the morning to take us to our new digs.

They were there, all right. 0400 the lights came on, and a Senior Chief starting walking around hitting a trash can with a nightstick, telling us to get our sorry asses out of our racks.

Senior Chief Fox, I found out, was going to be my CC. But it was all good. I just did as I was told, followed orders and instructions, and tried as much as possible to keep a low profile.

We had a kid named Gary Adams in our company, and he was an athletic freak. He shoulda played sports instead of volunteering. I'll never forget the first time he got in trouble. The Senior Chief told him to hit the deck and give him 50.

Gary said "Sir! Which arm, Sir?"

They tried to PT that kid to death, and he never quit. I've never seen anyone more in shape than that kid was.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Veteran

SFC Drill Sergeant Berkybyle. A tanker .... He was hard on us. At the end, we found out he wasn't an ET, but actually human.

Had a TAC NCO there too .... MSG Bruce. Green Beret. Stud.

MSG Bruce also became my platoon TAC NCO at Fort Lewis ROTC Advance Camp the following year.

I don't remember our platoon officer name at IOBC at Fort Benning. He was a dumbass captain. Our TAC NCO at Benning was a guy name SFC Jolly .... Sergeant Jolly ... and he was. IOBC (Infantry Officers Basic Course) was a "Gentleman's" course. No yelling. We were all 2LT's then, and expected to be proficient at everything.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
IOBC (Infantry Officers Basic Course) was a "Gentleman's" course. No yelling. We were all 2LT's then, and expected to be proficient at everything.
Boot camp they're supposed to tear you down, and rebuild you. Instill discipline, team work, and teach you how to do things the "military way".

Once I left for my A school, it was really chill after that. Basically a classroom setting. School during the day, maybe a watch you had to stand once in awhile. Biggest hassle was dress uniform inspections every Friday, before you were allowed to leave on liberty.

Diego Garcia was a whole different world. I was so happy to get off that rock, and get to the fleet.