Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Chargers Hire Mike McCoy As HC
Love it - McCoy will be great 95 56.21%
Hate it - McCoy is not the answer 7 4.14%
Mehhh - I'll wait and see 55 32.54%
We shoulda hired a coach named Bacon 5 2.96%
The new head coach, Yoda should be. 7 4.14%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
If he gets you it's called wrong number squared.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
the coaching staff as to answer to the HC. He should be the one picking them not the GM. How much do most GM's know about coaching anyway?
But the GM picks the HC. The owner (usually) picks the GM. How much does anyone really know? They should just let you and I do the picking.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
the coaching staff as to answer to the HC. He should be the one picking them not the GM. How much do most GM's know about coaching anyway?
then why is the g.m. hiring the coach? they are only qualified to hire a head coach but not a assistant coach?!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargingBolts View Post
then why is the g.m. hiring the coach? they are only qualified to hire a head coach but not a assistant coach?!
somebody has to hire him!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Good to hear that McCoy said he's going to bring in an OC that will call the plays. It really sounds like our organization is heading in the right path.

I don't believe he'll get rid of Pagano. I'm sure he's aware that he turned around our defense.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Hall of Famer

So, McCoy is actually making his staff and not the GM? That's a start.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
JRingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weddle46 View Post
Not that popular but some here may know Mike McCoy. He's currently the OC for the Broncos.

He's an incredibly young guy who imo is a QB guru. No matter where he goes, the QBs do really well. First it was in Carolina. He turned Jake Delhomme into a Pro Bowl QB. Then he did amazing work on Kyle Orton who had career numbers under McCoy's guidance. After all that, he made Tebow look like a starting caliber QB.

Yup, I just said that now go and read that last sentence again. Its true!

Even Peyton currently is having one of his best seasons ever under McCoy. Peyton even endorsed McCoy after knowing him for just a few months saying that he thinks McCoy would do well as HC and has the leadership qualities.

McCoy's strength is that he can adapt to any QB. He has worked with QBs with different styles and have transformed those teams offenses to fit the strengths of the QB. While most HCs try to force their offensive system into QBs (which sometimes turns into a disaster) McCoy adjusts the offense and makes a system out of what he has. For example if he were hired here, I would say its very likely that he won't have Rivers running out of the pocket to pass the ball. He would also come up with his own system so that our horrible OL can be of some use.

Even though I'm going for a fiery type HC, I think I would be happy with McCoy. He just imo has that "it" factor and I think he is one of the few coaches who can fix our offense completely and bring it back to how it was from '08-'10.

Thoughts?
Can he fix the OL? Probably all new faces...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM
This is OUR time!!

Very excited about Mike McCoy! Looks like he has fire and the ability to succeed . I can't wait to see how he and Telesco do!

Open up the GATES and let the RIVERS flow!!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltfan7998 View Post
Very excited about Mike McCoy! Looks like he has fire and the ability to succeed . I can't wait to see how he and Telesco do!
Ya, around draft time, wink wink. Will he have more imput than Norv?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

I am excited. This is a better pick than I could have even imagined!!

I was so scared we were going to bring in a proven LOSER, than our new GM hires a coach that has experience and can still run the offense at a high level. I am already happy that he will be using an OC to call the plays and he will be a COACH.

I see good things coming!! Next year might be rocky and we might not even make the playoffs, but give this guy a few years and I bet we will be very happy. Super Bowl here we come!
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!