Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Taking a Chill Pill

10 seasons as GM , 5 playoff apperances, 3 playoff wins - Missed Playoffs the last three years of his tenure. Very pedestrian GM credentials if you ask me....
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood View Post
10 seasons as GM , 5 playoff apperances, 3 playoff wins - Missed Playoffs the last three years of his tenure. Very pedestrian GM credentials if you ask me....
That's ridiculous. AJ is God and every single NFL franchise would be thrilled to have them as their GM. Most were secretly jealous of the Chargers when he was GM here. I've heard rumors that some NFL teams are thinking about firing their current GMs just for a chance to hire him.

Don't you read the CMB?

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Taking a Chill Pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
That's ridiculous. AJ is God and every single NFL franchise would be thrilled to have them as their GM. Most were secretly jealous of the Chargers when he was GM here. I've heard rumors that some NFL teams are thinking about firing their current GMs just for a chance to hire him.

Don't you read the CMB?
"In AJ We Trust"?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood View Post
It's pedestrian if you compare it to a football team like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and New England. It's sadly pretty extraordinary for San Diego if you think about it.

James_Libby: Does Phil ever take you or the rest of the line out to dinner for the great job blocking you do?

Marcus: He takes care of us. He gave me a Best Buy card for Christmas that I couldn't eat and a picture I tried to barbeque but it didn't taste too good. He can't afford to feed us. He has like 9 kids. Seriously, he does take care of us all the time with little things.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Official Bag of Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
It's pedestrian if you compare it to a football team like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and New England. It's sadly pretty extraordinary for San Diego if you think about it.
That's the problem, most SD fans compare Chargers to the bar that this organization has set -- which isn't high at all.

So yes, we are rather pedestrian; most fans are content with that.

OFFICIAL

BAG

OF

SHAME!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM
No longer norv'd

I'd agree, however money talks. Deano has piled money on to raise the bar. Unfortunately, the character chosen to elevate the bar continued playing the limbo. So far in January 2013, the bar is being elevated as never before. A big difference. Prior to that, oh yeah, completely pedestrian and/or comedians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aQB View Post
That's the problem, most SD fans compare Chargers to the bar that this organization has set -- which isn't high at all.

So yes, we are rather pedestrian; most fans are content with that.

OFFICIAL

BAG

OF

SHAME!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Hall of Famer

well if AJ is hired in some capacity, maybe he will get an LT NY Jet tat.........
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
Anyway, we all know, as reported by numerous CMB members, that AJ Smith has his pick of whatever NFL GM job he wants. Clearly he's just being selective about who he interviews with. That is the reason he hasn't been hired, not because no one wants him.
Or it's because he knows he can't handle NY media.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post
Royal and Meachen didn't equal VJ... hindsight agrees with you.

Turner was a huge part of our playoff success in his final year with us IIRC...

I don't think anyone offers anything for Brees who had a 50% chance of never playing football again if we tagged him... much less for the QB on a 2nd franchise tag contract.

Sproles is a tough pill to swallow.

Jackson was playing a max of 12 regular season games the year he opted to hold out because he was facing a league suspension.

Hindsight says the Chargers won with McNeil's deal... we got insurance against his neck when he finally did come back which freed up some cap room when he did get hurt.

AJ Smith never succeeded as a GM when the standard the fans care about is winning the Super Bowl... but most of those moves made football sense at the time, and hindsight says they were right as well in some cases.
2011 we missed the playoffs by one game. MM was gone a handful of games and we saved a couple million. VJ was gone 2/3 the season. We could of signed VJ for less than 5 years 55 million. I would guess 5 years 50 million or 5 million a year.

Would going to the playoffs in 2011 and going into the playoffs this year be worth that?

VJ makes that brown catch. We win Denver, we win Ravens, we win Baltimore. Maybe we don't sign the big lazy Gaither and draft an OL.

Not signing Sproles and VJ will always haunt Aj Smith. Not getting an Ol will haunt him.

Don't forget AJ Smith is the guy who tried to teach Gates a less and held him from one game, for no real reason. GMs don't do this stuff. He sabatoaged our team and most know that, that is why he is on no ones Raiders.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Veteran

AJ's not going to the Big Apple, Seattle's John Idzik got the hire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-idzik-as-g-m/