Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by latency View Post
Your confused about a couple of things. The article that you mention does not talk about what is commonly refereed to as The West Coast offense. It talks about the Don Coryell offense. The term West Coast offense is a misnomer as the person that coined the term was talking about the Coryell offense which was run by the Chargers and the Los Angeles Rams, but the journalist that he was talking to thought he was talking about the offense that was developed by Bill Walsh. That is how the Walsh system got the name West Coast offense. Philip Rivers is a perfect QB for the Coryell system. He is not an ideal QB for the Walsh system because he is not mobile nor is he as accurate as you would like for the Walsh system at short passes. This is not to say that he could not be effective in this system just that he is not the prototype for this system.

Secondly, the Patriots do not and have not ever employed the Walsh system while Tom Brady has been their QB. I am not sure where you heard that, but that information is definitely inaccurate. The Patriots run what is called the Erhardt-Perkins offense while Bill Belichick has been their coach. The system was installed by Charile Weis and was learned by Josh McDaniels under him.
Please clarify. Is the west coast offense the throw first then run, or is it utilize short passing to supplant running and to not rely on the vetical game. I need clarification.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Who did he play against at NC State, again?

Is there no difference, in your mind, between the speed of the NFL game and that of the ACC?

Didn't NC State, during his tenure, finish 5th, 4th, 4th, and 4th in the ACC?

Yes, everyone here is completely blind to the facts.
The question is whether or not PR can execute a West Coast Offense, not how well his team did overall. We can bring up the defensive and special team stats as well. There is no West Coast Defense and West Coast Special Team scheme. The stats displayed prove he can work well in a WCO and that he had the decision-making skillset to execute said offense.

As far as the speed of the game of the NFL goes, you don't think that after nine years playing in the NFL he would have adjusted by now? Did you forget that fact?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Rookie

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but we need to re-address this topic.

So PR proved his decision-making skills this year, as well as his accuracy (led the league) and he ran the no-huddle. I'd say his skillset exceeds what people gave him credit for. Although I wouldn't call McCoy/Whiz' offense WCO it definitely had elements that tested whether or not PR's skillset could flourish. Where is everyone that said he couldn't survive in a horizontal passing attack?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Not just because his footwork is poor -- more importantly, his decision making is nowhere near fast enough to keep up with a WCO. He is not one of those QB's who is so far ahead of the curve that he is able to slow the game down in his head, and make quick, decisive, correct decision, then deliver the ball into tight horizontal spaces.

He will either survive in the vertical game, or not at all, imo.
Looks like the old guy can still survive without the vertical game to back him up.

James_Libby: Does Phil ever take you or the rest of the line out to dinner for the great job blocking you do?

Marcus: He takes care of us. He gave me a Best Buy card for Christmas that I couldn't eat and a picture I tried to barbeque but it didn't taste too good. He can't afford to feed us. He has like 9 kids. Seriously, he does take care of us all the time with little things.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

I am glad I checked the dates on this thread, because I thought people were blind. How could they be saying all this about PR after this year? Than I saw the dates. LOL

I think we can rest assured that PR is our QB for at least another good 5 or 6 years. I just hope that he can get his ring by than and we have a QB that has learned from him and ready to replace him by than.

Who knows, maybe?

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...CLID=205087915

LOL not really the best picture of Stephen Rivers. :-p
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Crash Test Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChargerFan View Post
I am glad I checked the dates on this thread, because I thought people were blind. How could they be saying all this about PR after this year? Than I saw the dates. LOL
I was confused, too.

Then I saw that Allan had resurrected a thread that was a year old.

I don't think there's any argument now that PR can run a horizontal passing game. At least there shouldn't be.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).

Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Rookie

he could probably run a horizontal offense better now than he could have ten years ago simply because of age and maturity. As a younger guy with a strong arm, you'd want him to hurl the ball down the field. He certainly had that ability. Now that he's older, it's more advantageous for him to throw underneath more than down the field.