Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Taking a Chill Pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiego View Post
I will get flamed, but in my opinion based on Resume, stats, and news around the league I think Norv Turner was the best Non HC OC out there. Chargers could not have got him.

Norv has HC experience, for what it is worth, and well regarded as a QB developer and play caller. Wisenhunt is probably a better HC, but Norv a better overall OC.

Even recently remember two years ago we had the #1 offense. A team with a bad OC doesn't have the #1 offense.

We will see how Norv does with the Browns and how Wisenhunt does with the Chargers, I might change my mind. Norv might disappoint.
Please let me know which QB's Norv has developed?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 PM
I am Cap'n Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood View Post
Please let me know which QB's Norv has developed?
Norv supporters will only mention Aikman and Rivers, and completley forget the QB's he had in Washington, Oakland, and San Fran.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiego View Post
I will get flamed, but in my opinion based on Resume, stats, and news around the league I think Norv Turner was the best Non HC OC out there. Chargers could not have got him.

Norv has HC experience, for what it is worth, and well regarded as a QB developer and play caller. Wisenhunt is probably a better HC, but Norv a better overall OC.

Even recently remember two years ago we had the #1 offense. A team with a bad OC doesn't have the #1 offense.

We will see how Norv does with the Browns and how Wisenhunt does with the Chargers, I might change my mind. Norv might disappoint.
I actually agree with this. Bitter Charger fans want to pretend that Norv if good for nothing. He wasn't the right head coach, but he's a heck of an offensive mind.

And to the general topic- no, he didn't do much with his QB's in WAS, OAK, or SF. Remind me, who were those guys again? Or is the standard for a great OC someone who turns every QB he touches into gold?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I actually agree with this. Bitter Charger fans want to pretend that Norv if good for nothing. He wasn't the right head coach, but he's a heck of an offensive mind.

And to the general topic- no, he didn't do much with his QB's in WAS, OAK, or SF. Remind me, who were those guys again? Or is the standard for a great OC someone who turns every QB he touches into gold?
I agree. Cleveland made two huge hires getting Norv and Horton. I wouldn't be surprised if they become a force in the next couple years, though I have a feeling they won't keep Horton for long. I doubt any team will ever make Norv a HC again, though.

I see the Steelers as the team on decline in that conference. The Ravens should be strong for the next couple years. The Bengals and Browns should be on the rise.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
I agree. Cleveland made two huge hires getting Norv and Horton. I wouldn't be surprised if they become a force in the next couple years, though I have a feeling they won't keep Horton for long. I doubt any team will ever make Norv a HC again, though.

I see the Steelers as the team on decline in that conference. The Ravens should be strong for the next couple years. The Bengals and Browns should be on the rise.
I would certainly say that the Browns and Chargers made the best moves this offseason on paper.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Rob Chud doesn't impress me enough as HC.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

I wasn't aware that Chud had coached a game already.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Aikman threw for 20+ TDs once in his life and never threw for more than 3,500 yards.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Aikman threw for 20+ TDs once in his life and never threw for more than 3,500 yards.
Can't compare Aikman's numbers in the mid 90's to what we see today. The game has changed; for his era he was prolific.

C'mon bro- are you really willing to go to the lengths of telling me that Troy Aikman is secretly a bad QB in the quest to declare Norv a bad OC?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Can't compare Aikman's numbers in the mid 90's to what we see today. The game has changed; for his era he was prolific.

C'mon bro- are you really willing to go to the lengths of telling me that Troy Aikman is secretly a bad QB in the quest to declare Norv a bad OC?
Not a bad QB, highly overrated though. And those were not prolific numbers back in the 90's. His best season was 23 TDs 3,445 yards. Elway, Montana, Marino etc put up those numbers a lot.

I just think a guy who threw 20+ TDs once in his career is the definition of a game manager. He was just great at being a game manager. Heck, even Terry Bradshaw threw more than 20+ times more than Aikman