Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
I am Cap'n Obvious

I'm more appalled at the fact there are no asian head coaches... The Rooney Rule is letting down the asians!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Offseason Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
I'm more appalled at the fact there are no asian head coaches... The Rooney Rule is letting down the asians!

Amen.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Breather maybe, coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocKWavE View Post
Token interviewing is weird. How about minority place kickers? Where is the love?
White cornerbacks have it worse!

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).

Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 AM
I hate my Username

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...to-be-expanded

There is talk about expanding the rule to OCs and DCs.

I just don't get it. I think racism is pretty much gone now, ESPECIALLY when it comes to sports. If a man has the resume in this industry, I think he'll get a look. It just so happened that none of the major candidates this year were non-white. The rule is almost condescending at this point.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rek View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...to-be-expanded

There is talk about expanding the rule to OCs and DCs.

I just don't get it. I think racism is pretty much gone now, ESPECIALLY when it comes to sports. If a man has the resume in this industry, I think he'll get a look. It just so happened that none of the major candidates this year were non-white. The rule is almost condescending at this point.
Racism is far from gone.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
I am Cap'n Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Racism is far from gone.
Racism as it used to be is gone IMO... Stereotyping on the other hand is far from gone, and will prob never go away.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Experienced

The NFL network brought up the subject of the Rooney rule and claimed it was time to expand that rule since all the new HC hires were white. I don't know what they would expand it too since the owners would pitch a fit if they were told they had to not only interview but hire a coach because he was a minority.
The competition for the head coach job is huge and you can't spend a month interviewing 10-15 candidates if they say you have to interview 5 minority coaches before you hire. I don't know how you change the rule to make everyone happy.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirdsd View Post
The NFL network brought up the subject of the Rooney rule and claimed it was time to expand that rule since all the new HC hires were white. I don't know what they would expand it too since the owners would pitch a fit if they were told they had to not only interview but hire a coach because he was a minority.
The competition for the head coach job is huge and you can't spend a month interviewing 10-15 candidates if they say you have to interview 5 minority coaches before you hire. I don't know how you change the rule to make everyone happy.
They are talking about expanding it to include assistants, nobody is being forced to hire anybody.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
Racism as it used to be is gone IMO... Stereotyping on the other hand is far from gone, and will prob never go away.
There's a very fine line here -- if stereotyping leads to a conscious or even subconscious decision to exclude or decide one race of people are better than another, it is indeed racism.

One might say, "but 'Group A' IS better [maybe you use test scores], so it's a stereotype, not racism." You could never fully confirm this as IQ and test scores are likely a function of circumstance, which are not equivalent because of the effects of .... racism.

The experience white men have as coaches gives them a massive advantage -- and while I think it's 'fair' and more effective for the organization to want the most qualified coach, I am ok with the Rooney rule as it is now. But still, overall, I think football and sports have come a really long way in being blind to color.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Last edited by thumper300zx; 01-22-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Offseason Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper300zx View Post
There's a very fine line here -- if stereotyping leads to a conscious or even subconscious decision to exclude or decide one race of people are better than another, it is indeed racism.

One might say, "but 'Group A' IS better [maybe you use test scores], so it's a stereotype, not racism." You could never fully confirm this as IQ and test scores are likely a function of circumstance, which are not equivalent because of the effects of .... racism.

The experience white men have as coaches gives them a massive advantage -- and while I think it's 'fair' and more effective for the organization to want the most qualified coach, I am ok with the Rooney rule as it is now. But still, overall, I think football and sports have come a really long way in being blind to color.

In that case, we must be into nearly crisis-mode with caucasian running backs, wideouts and DB's.

Otherwise, it's not a 2-way street.