Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 01:43 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I'll probably get flamed for saying so, but I don't think he is.
Me either.

Hester does several things decently. I really didn't see anything from McClain that couldn't be easily replaced.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
Me either.

Hester does several things decently. I really didn't see anything from McClain that couldn't be easily replaced.
Hester has ST value, that's something McClain doesn't and I think he also has better receiving ability.

I'd say their rushing ability are at about the same level.

But as far as blocking FB, McClain is an upgrade.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
On the flip side, Newsome signed Lo Neal when his tank was running on empty. Not bagging on Neal, because I dig the dude, but his time had already passed when the Ravens signed him.
They signed him to a 1-year deal though, and put him in a backup role.

We're inking their castoffs to multiyear deals and making them starters.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Veteran

What's the chances Troutman is a starter in 2013? I think Hardwick and Vasquez come back, that would clear up the 3 interior spots. Then your looking for 2 Tackles, if Clary's cap# hurts to release him then you have him and Haslam for depth. Then you can maybe Draft a young C and G for the future. Or maybe Barret Jones who's probably good enough to play all 3 interior spots.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEsq View Post
Here is my plan to fix the roster in 1 year.

Draft: Eric Fisher in round 1, Barret Jones in round 2, BPA corner in round 2 via trade up.

Sign: Either Brandon Albert (If Chiefs take Joekel in draft) or Jake Long to play LT.

Re-sign Cason for LCB. Start Wright at RCB. Put Jammer at SS to battle with Bigby and Taylor.

WR corps of Floyd/Brown/Alexander/Meachem is better than good.

Line of Albert/Long-Jones-Hardwick-Vasquez-Fisher. This allows Hardwick one more year, when Jones can slide to C when we have more time to draft a suitable LG in the future. Having a franchise level LT and an elite talent at RT makes the line infinitely better, with Fisher able to slide left in the future, creating a situation where you can draft a tackle only every 5 or 6 years, start at right, and move left when its time.

RB situation is fine with revamped line and effective pass game.

Drafting BPA at Corner in the 2nd round gives a prospect that you can stick in the rotation. Just hope Cason and Wright can get it done.

Youre losing Clary, Gaither, etc. off the books. Jammer on a much smaller deal. Only shelling out one big contract for the LT.

This is why I should be working in a FO somewhere.
Love Fisher... do want. But I'd rather wait and see if Jones last till the 3rd and take one of the many good cornerbacks in this class in round 2. That would mean no trade up.

Branden Albert and Eric Fisher would kind of be overkill at LT given how many holes we have to fill on this roster. And Albert would eat most of our cap room with the contract that he has coming to him. Long isn't half the player he was 3 years ago since his knees started causing him problems.

I really hate the idea of investing any more money into Cason. I think we need to look elsewhere. But I'm also high on Wright to start in 2013.

I still have issues at RB, blocking TE, OLB, and ILB looking at this plan.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Love Fisher... do want. But I'd rather wait and see if Jones last till the 3rd and take one of the many good cornerbacks in this class in round 2. That would mean no trade up.

Branden Albert and Eric Fisher would kind of be overkill at LT given how many holes we have to fill on this roster. And Albert would eat most of our cap room with the contract that he has coming to him. Long isn't half the player he was 3 years ago since his knees started causing him problems.

I really hate the idea of investing any more money into Cason. I think we need to look elsewhere. But I'm also high on Wright to start in 2013.

I still have issues at RB, blocking TE, OLB, and ILB looking at this plan.
I don't have Albert and Fisher both at LT... I have Albert at LT and Fisher at RT. And Jones won't last till the 3rd, I have my doubts he even lasts to our pick in the 2nd. I think the combine and draft circus will push him up into the top of the 2nd or end of the 1st.

But my plan basically gives a complete rebuild of the Oline with a strong eye to the future as well.

We have to invest that money into Cason, because there are no good alternatives. I figure that between Cason, Wright, Gilchrist, and a young draftee (with Jammer at SS if there is a dire emergency) is a certainly workable CB situation for the upcoming season.

I'm generally not worried too much about the defense with the problems we have on O
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEsq View Post
I don't have Albert and Fisher both at LT... I have Albert at LT and Fisher at RT. And Jones won't last till the 3rd, I have my doubts he even lasts to our pick in the 2nd. I think the combine and draft circus will push him up into the top of the 2nd or end of the 1st.

But my plan basically gives a complete rebuild of the Oline with a strong eye to the future as well.

We have to invest that money into Cason, because there are no good alternatives. I figure that between Cason, Wright, Gilchrist, and a young draftee (with Jammer at SS if there is a dire emergency) is a certainly workable CB situation for the upcoming season.

I'm generally not worried too much about the defense with the problems we have on O
I understand that you have Fisher and Albert at RT and LT. My point is that if we sign Albert, we should pick someone at a different position. Or if we draft Fisher, we should sign someone else at a different position. Your plan invests more resources (bulk of cap space and first round pick) into two tackles when we have other issues like pass rusher, cornerback, RB, etc. Fisher and Albert are both more than what we need at RT. We could save resources by signing a less expensive OT to play the right and drafting Fisher to play the left.

I believe Jones is due to have surgery and won't be participating in the pre-draft work. And I think he was overrated as a 1st-2nd guy to begin with. But that's just me.

There are several better to Cason alternatives, IMO.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran

Kemp... anyone else have feeling/opinion on whether Troutman can be a starter next year?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAFLBOLTFAN View Post
Kemp... anyone else have feeling/opinion on whether Troutman can be a starter next year?
Who knows? He hasn't played.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAFLBOLTFAN View Post
No idea. He was very reliable at Penn State, but that doesn't mean much. For us to take him in the 5th when he wasn't going to be able to play at all his rookie year means that they must have thought he was worth maybe a 3rd?

But of what I have seen of Troutman, he hasn't been very fleet footed... more of a slow footed mauler who can anchor. If that's true, it probably won't play well in the blocking scheme that D'Allisandri likes to run. Though who is really to say if we'll go with a ZBS because of the OL coach or stick with what we've been running because of our OC/HC.