Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Zone Blocking System

As much as i know Kemp hates the ZBS (i think thats you, i'll edit it later if not) I thought i'd throw this up here, but with the New OL coach we just brought in from the Bills has previously in his NFL coaching career run almost exclusively run Zone Blocking, with very little Man blocking thrown in.

So i figured i'd throw up a board that gives guys who are more apt for a ZBS blocking scheme than a Power man scheme (guys like Fluker/maybe Warford among a couple others may no longer fit on this team).

But ZBS OG's you can usually find solid ones in the mid/late rounds (Best ex is Adam Gettis from last year, started all year at OG IIRC, and was a 5th rounder). One of my favorites this year is Earl Watford from James Madison.

Lane Johnson could now really fit on this team, but we'll have to see what happens with Eric Fisher and all them.

Interesting option later in the draft for OT is Terron Armstead who seems to be perfect for a ZBS with how athletic he is.

But the biggest upside of this is i feel now we will be able to draft offensive linemen later with upside and have a coach that will actually be able to get the technique work down and develop them into better players. We haven't had that in a long time, as we repeatedly took "safe" offensive linemen in the later rounds as opposed to higher upside guys.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Draft This Man

Gettis didn't play a signel game.

sean of BSX
Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Gettis didn't play a signel game.
Well....thats not good, i know i heard about a mid round ZBS OG starting a lot of games somewhere though, i think i just figured it was him...

I'll find out who it was..
Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't think it will change who we target too drastically. I mean, last year the Bills took the player that seemed like the most likely fit of anyone for a power scheme in Cordy Glenn.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I don't think it will change who we target too drastically. I mean, last year the Bills took the player that seemed like the most likely fit of anyone for a power scheme in Cordy Glenn.
would you be more inclined to take Cooper at Guard over Warmack if we went ZBS? Cooper seems like a perfect fit size and technique wise.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Ahhh, i see what i did, i mixed up Gettis with not so late round pick Jeff Allen from Illinois/KC, who started 13 games at OG IIRC.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFaiderHater View Post
would you be more inclined to take Cooper at Guard over Warmack if we went ZBS? Cooper seems like a perfect fit size and technique wise.
I'd rather take the better player in Warmack.

sean of BSX
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Agreed, but Cordy Glenn has really quick feed for such a big guy. This doesn't change most of the players on our board, but it does take one or two guys off our board, like Fluker, who just plain and simple doesn't have the agility to play in a ZBS. It also makes guys like Cooper, heck Kyle Long and even Lane Johnson more valuable to us than they would've before.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Agreed, but Cordy Glenn has really quick feed for such a big guy. This doesn't change most of the players on our board, but it does take one or two guys off our board, like Fluker, who just plain and simple doesn't have the agility to play in a ZBS. It also makes guys like Cooper, heck Kyle Long and even Lane Johnson more valuable to us than they would've before.
All very true.

FML

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Well....thats not good, i know i heard about a mid round ZBS OG starting a lot of games somewhere though, i think i just figured it was him...

I'll find out who it was..
Bro, you have to do your home work otherwise people won't take you seriously.not trying to be disrespectful or anything just helping you out..that was pretty funny though ..lol
4. Cody Latimer
5. Charles Simms or Kareem Carey: One will fall
6. DAT
7. Kirby Van Den Kamp