Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABoltsFan View Post
Playoffs or bust.

If we fail to make the playoffs (again!), there needs to be a lot of strict accountability.
So we fire McCoy? This is not the new regime missing the playoffs again. This year will be their first attempt. I'm not saying give up already, but lower your expectations a bit so their realistic. Many of you are expecting a 49ers type of turn around, but I don't believe that's going to happen.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolfan11 View Post
SOS matters when we're talking after the season. It gives insight into whether a team played a cupcake schedule and really wasn't that great (Broncos) or if a team was underachieving because they were playing mostly good teams all season-long.

You don't think the 7-9 records of the Saints or Panthers suggests that they were better teams than the Chargers this year? Those teams played better teams than the Chargers did, and had the same record.

And yeah, it goes without saying that using SOS to evaluate next year's schedule is completely pointless.
right, so basically SOS doesnt mean too much since New Orleans and the Panthers both beat us but their records were 7-9 but as you said, they were probably better than 7-9 teams and affected our SOS negatively.

Also, teams you beat affect your SOS for the worse.

You can also make the argument that its not who you play but when you play them. We beat Pittsburgh and the Jets when they were slumping. we lost to the panthers, bengals and bucs during hot streaks for them.

We also had a 24-0 lead and lost by just 7 on the road to the #1 seed in the AFC and basically had the game against the AFC representative in the super bowl.

-Mario Lopez
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolfan11 View Post
SOS matters when we're talking after the season. It gives insight into whether a team played a cupcake schedule and really wasn't that great (Broncos) or if a team was underachieving because they were playing mostly good teams all season-long.

You don't think the 7-9 records of the Saints or Panthers suggests that they were better teams than the Chargers this year? Those teams played better teams than the Chargers did, and had the same record.

And yeah, it goes without saying that using SOS to evaluate next year's schedule is completely pointless.
Well said, I agree; SOS has more significance after a season. So why bring it into the discussion in the first place?

I would think the fact that the Saints and Panthers beat San Diego on the field last year is more indicative of where they stand vs. the Chargers than whatever their schedules were.

Last edited by Asimov; 01-22-2013 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime24 View Post
So we fire McCoy? This is not the new regime missing the playoffs again. This year will be their first attempt. I'm not saying give up already, but lower your expectations a bit so their realistic. Many of you are expecting a 49ers type of turn around, but I don't believe that's going to happen.
I haven't seen that expectation.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm No Noob

I've said this before, but it bears repeating- we were 4 plays away from being 11-5 last season. 4 plays.

They were:

1: MI is called for roughing the passer, negating a pick-6 that would have iced the game in New Orleans.

2: Stopping Manning on 3rd down and 16 in the first Denver game.

3: Meachem making that wide-open TD grab instead of dropping it in Cleveland.

4: The refs making a correct spot on the "Ray Rice Debacle"

So if we could shoulda woulda in 2012... Why the heck shouldn't we expect good things next season?

New coaching, better players, what is so terrible?

Yet here we are, post after post about how terrible we are and how we need to upgrade every single position.

We should expect playoffs in 2013. No doubt.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
I haven't seen that expectation.
Not to that level of winning, but I have seen a couple that think we should win the division next year and that if the 49ers can do it, so can we.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Veteran

SOS May or may not "matter".... But look at the schedule beside the 6 Division games. Home HOU IND DAL NYG CIN, all "Good" teams but all are beatable especially at Home. Road JAX TEN PHI WSH MIA, even as bad as "we" looked this year were handily better than JAX TEN PHI, MIA was 7-9 also but I think we have more talent. OAK is still a few years away, KC might improve but they have NO QB. If they take G.Smith I doubt he's on par with this years Rookie class. Need to at least to split with the Donks, if were serious about Playoffs. I DEFINITELY see 9-11 wins in there. Have Faith BOLTS FANS.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Rashad Greene=Underrated

Just look at the teams in the playoff this year. They all have GREAT offensive lines. I see a trend in this and we cant expect playoffs until we have a above average offensive line. This might take 1-3 years of good drafting to achieve.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Most,are blind sheep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
I've said this before, but it bears repeating- we were 4 plays away from being 11-5 last season. 4 plays.

They were:

1: MI is called for roughing the passer, negating a pick-6 that would have iced the game in New Orleans.

2: Stopping Manning on 3rd down and 16 in the first Denver game.

3: Meachem making that wide-open TD grab instead of dropping it in Cleveland.

4: The refs making a correct spot on the "Ray Rice Debacle"

So if we could shoulda woulda in 2012... Why the heck shouldn't we expect good things next season?

New coaching, better players, what is so terrible?

Yet here we are, post after post about how terrible we are and how we need to upgrade every single position.

We should expect playoffs in 2013. No doubt.

You can't judge the future by changing the past. Once you change a part of the past, everything after that goes a different way. Plays during the latter part of the game(i.e., 2 minute drills) are much more likely to influence the outcome of the game. Changing the past changes the future.

Your life, expect all you want. Just try not to be too upset if things don't go how you 'expect'. We still have no idea what caused the poor showing of years past. Did the GM bring in so-so talent? Was the coach unable to a little extra out of the so-so talent? Was the talent actually not that bad and the coach was just not good enough? Can new management and coaching get more out of what is already there? Is it good enough that a couple of decent players can fill enough of a void to make it a pretty decent team?

Too much is unknown to 'expect' anything. Hope all you want though, there is nothing wrong with that. But, like I said...your life, your choice.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime24 View Post
Can we expect a Ravens type of turn around though? Or how about Dolphins? Maybe the Broncos? Wait how about the Jets type of turn around? Oh come on at least the Falcons type of turn around!!