Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Bolt News
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Default Junior Seau's Family Sues The NFL

The family of Junior Seau has sued the NFL, claiming the former linebacker's suicide was the result of brain disease caused by violent hits he sustained while playing football.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed Wednesday in California Superior Court in San Diego, blames the NFL for its ''acts or omissions'' that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. It says Seau developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) from those hits, and accuses the NFL of deliberately ignoring and concealing evidence of the risks associated with traumatic brain injuries.

Seau died at age 43 of a self-inflicted gunshot in May. He was diagnosed with CTE, based on posthumous tests, earlier this month.

An Associated Press review in November found that more than 3,800 players have sued the NFL over head injuries in at least 175 cases as the concussion issue has gained attention in recent years. More than 100 of the concussion lawsuits have been brought together before US District Judge Anita B. Brody in Philadelphia.

''Our attorneys will review it and respond to the claims appropriately through the court,'' the NFL said in a statement Wednesday.

Helmet manufacturer Riddell Inc., also is being sued by the Seaus, who say Riddell was ''negligent in their design, testing, assembly, manufacture, marketing, and engineering of the helmets'' used by NFL players. The suit says the helmets were unreasonably dangerous and unsafe.

Seau was one of the best linebackers during his 20 seasons in the NFL. He retired in 2009.

Read the rest here: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/j...njuries-012313
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Bolted @ Birth

As the lawsuits continue to mount against the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised if they add a play at your own risk clause. I'm not siding with either party here, that's just where I see this issue headed in the future.

Last edited by crixus; 01-23-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Veteran

I will take a side--as sad as the death of Junior is, the Seau family's decision to sue the NFL is shameful.

There is implied risk in the game of football and players are well aware of the risks associated with that game. Perhaps every player who was ever hit by Junior Seau should file suit against his estate for any injuries sustained as a result of playing the game--where does it end?

Additionally, the condition (CTE) is the result of an accumulation of hits and trauma to the brain. Trauma that started well before the NFL, in every game Junior played in high school, college and beyond, where the equipment being used may have been cheaper, lower quality, and every bit as responsible for the head trauma he suffered.

The NFL is being targeted because they have the deepest pockets, thus the motivation here seems purely for financial gain rather than to increase awareness or prevent this type of injury from affecting others.

$.02
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Hall of Famer

But it's not just suing the NFL because he got head trauma, they are blaming for the NFL for its ''acts or omissions'' that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. Similarly, they accuse Riddell of being ''negligent in their design, testing, assembly, manufacture, marketing, and engineering of the helmets'' used by NFL players. The suit says the helmets were unreasonably dangerous and unsafe.

This is like the tobacco lawsuit. I get that certain activities are dangerous and by pursuing them you are accepting responsibility to a large degree, but if the actual risks are being hidden by the other party than that's a different issue.

You know how the NCAA skirts around this? By not having ANY rules at all about player safety and concussions, they are basically saying it is up to the schools themselves to ensure student athlete safety. If they had any rules, then they would leave themselves vulnerable to lawsuits as well.

Quote:
''The NFL knew or suspected that any rule changes that sought to recognize that link (to brain disease) and the health risk to NFL players would impose an economic cost that would significantly and adversely change the profit margins enjoyed by the NFL and its teams,'' the Seaus said in the suit.
I'm not taking sides here, just clarifying the lawsuit. I couldn't possibly know whether the NFL ever knew more than it let on, and dragged its feet on this at first to preserve branding and profitability of the sport. But that's what these lawsuits are claiming.

Last edited by Crime Time; 01-24-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Time View Post
But it's not just suing the NFL because he got head trauma, they are blaming for the NFL for its ''acts or omissions'' that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. Similarly, they accuse Riddell of being ''negligent in their design, testing, assembly, manufacture, marketing, and engineering of the helmets'' used by NFL players. The suit says the helmets were unreasonably dangerous and unsafe.
CT, it was sad about Seau, ALL, and I mean all these hits, started way before the NFL, and way before he started in the NFL. This started when he and every other football player signed up in peewee league. The NFL has money, and that is why they are suing.

And the NCAA part, do you not think they could sue the schools too? Its a sad thing, but all these players know what they are doing and getting into when they play football, starting at peewee, through college into the NFL. Its a dangerous sport.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Bolted @ Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhchargerfan View Post
CT, it was sad about Seau, ALL, and I mean all these hits, started way before the NFL, and way before he started in the NFL. This started when he and every other football player signed up in peewee league. The NFL has money, and that is why they are suing.

And the NCAA part, do you not think they could sue the schools too? Its a sad thing, but all these players know what they are doing and getting into when they play football, starting at peewee, through college into the NFL. Its a dangerous sport.
Great post! You covered it from start to finish.

Last edited by crixus; 01-24-2013 at 11:06 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhchargerfan View Post
I don't disagree with your point, it's a good one. But in Seau's case I would suspect most of the trauma occurred over his very long NFL career, where the players are biggest and strongest. But most NFL players don't play that long.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's enough for the family to show playing in the NFL was a significant factor in Seau's CTE. They are going to have to show the NFL sought to hide information regarding this danger. If they did indeed do that, then I personally believe the NFL is culpable to at least some degree.

Quote:
Players could sue schools, I wasn't inferring they couldn't. I was just mentioned how the NCAA tries to legally distance itself from lawsuits regarding head trauma.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM
@iamjoeking

I think they are just hoping for a settlement.

How can you sue when someone committed suicide?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE KING View Post
I think they are just hoping for a settlement.

How can you sue when someone committed suicide?

A lawyer probably told them they had a case.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM
WaywardCharger

If they should sue anyone, it should be the Patriots. I am sure working for Billicheat is what really caused his condition. ROFLMAO
Closed Thread