Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Old Guys Rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
ZBS may be on it's way out. As mentioned the cut back blocking below the waist may go by the way side. If true so will the ZBS schemes.

As far as the Chargers go we could have 2-4 new starters. I would think personnel is going to dictate which blocking schemes we employ.
interesting... I wasn't aware that illegal chops or cut back below the waist blocking had a causal relationship to the zone schemes... are they really one and the same...

I agree that we're likely to have a makeover on the oline (hopefully) - is there a better time to change the scheme... they brought in the coach, and the mantra for Telesco & McCoy is playing to the players strengths...

I think the scheme will dictate the players we acquire via FA'cy or the draft... we'll see soon enough...

... and if they draft Schwenke, I'll claim the pick...
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Draft This Man

^^Zone schemes really do rely on the cut block, if you watch some ZBS like the Texans or Redskins, you'll see how much it is used. If it is made illegal to cut, the ZBS is done.

sean of BSX
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Old Guys Rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
^^Zone schemes really do rely on the cut block, if you watch some ZBS like the Texans or Redskins, you'll see how much it is used. If it is made illegal to cut, the ZBS is done.
I agree the cut is sooo much easier to execute the zone block on the outside, especially when you don't have the olinemen that can get out in front...

edit: don't know why they would bring in "the" guy, if they didn't plan to use it... jes sayin...

Last edited by SanDiegoRon; 01-23-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoRon View Post
interesting... I wasn't aware that illegal chops or cut back below the waist blocking had a causal relationship to the zone schemes... are they really one and the same...

I agree that we're likely to have a makeover on the oline (hopefully) - is there a better time to change the scheme... they brought in the coach, and the mantra for Telesco & McCoy is playing to the players strengths...

I think the scheme will dictate the players we acquire via FA'cy or the draft... we'll see soon enough...

... and if they draft Schwenke, I'll claim the pick...
Ask Jamal Williams
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Old Guys Rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFaiderHater View Post
Ask Jamal Williams
ask him what... what's your point... do you have one or just venting...

are you suggesting that I or our new Oline coach teaches/condones cheap shots...

the cut should be outlawed,... the key is to find players that can zone block legally without that crap... clearly you missed my point...

thanx for sharing...
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

are you suggesting that I or our new Oline coach teaches/condones cheap shots...

the cut should be outlawed,... the key is to find players that can zone block legally without that crap... clearly you missed my point...

thanx for sharing...
The NFL is looking at further restrictions to cut back blocking. There are rules already in place about illegal low cut blocking. If further restrictions are coming then ZBS will become less popular over time. Some aspects of ZBS will always be used. But just like the bump and run of the past ZBS as we have come to know it may become a thing of the past. Way to early to say either way.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:

thanx for sharing...
Denver under shannarat was known for their Zone blocking, they were also known for cut blocks, both illegal and legal. Jamal williams was the victim of one such that ended his season, and IMO, the Charger's season before it got a chance to really go anywhere. So yes, the ZBS has a history of being very effective in using cut blocks.

So no, I was not just venting, as your post made it as you were unaware of the fact that the ZBS uses cut blocking quite heavily.

Have a good day.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Jamal was not done in by a cut block, he was illegally clipped clean on the back of the leg while trailing the play by a piece of dirt Donkey lineman.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Jamal was not done in by a cut block, he was illegally clipped clean on the back of the leg while trailing the play by a piece of dirt Donkey lineman.
I believe that piece of dirts name was Steve Herndon. He was almost as dirty as Nalen.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
clipped, cut, either way they went at him low. one is just illegal, now, hopefully both are illegal, I cringe every time I see a cut block.