Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Brown is back tracking. What a joke.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...he-super-bowl/
I find it weird that he's backtracking.

Brown basically said

The guy hated the raiders--corroborated.

The guy is good friends with Gruden--im sure thats true

The raiders game plan changed suddenly before the superbowl--corroborated..he also states in all of his football life that has never happened.

The raiders did not change the terminology of the plays that Gruden had installed in a game against gruden for a superbowl title--corroborated

He also said that in his opinion Callahan may have given the game to his buddy but he couldn't prove it.

People keep saying the defense is that Callahan would never do that because he would be known as super bowl winning coach for the rest of his life, but he obviously wasnt coaching it like the game of his life or else he wouldnt have changed the game plan and wouldve changed the terminology of the plays.

If he cared about winning the game his actions certainly didnt show it. So it either proves incompetence that Brown had never seen before in a coach or it proves suspicious behavior with motive to help lose the super bowl. Brown is basically saying that.

Instead of some bland denial statement from Callahan, I wouldve liked him to answer some questions as to why the terminology wasnt changed and why he changed the game plan and if thats why Robbins went AWOL. Shouldnt he at least be asked that question?

-Mario Lopez
Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
why is that?
It's not the reason you think and it doesn't really matter. I have my reasons. Take it or leave it.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKincheloe View Post
Because he doesn't like Norv? Just speculating.
I couldn't care less what he thinks of Norv nor do I care a whit about Norv any more than I do all of the other failed head coaches of the Chargers. I certainly don't care what Jerry Rice says about him.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargrfan View Post
Because Jerry Rice, HOFer & best WR to ever play the game, was the first to admit that Norv Turner is an awful HC and one of the worst in history of football.
Nope. You're too wrapped up in Norv. Time to move on.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I don't know what his reason is, but Rice was a co-host on Sirius NFL Radio for about a year, and listening to him was like a bad trip to the dentist. Dude is dumb as a bocks of rox.
Not that it matters but this is one of the reasons.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
I find it weird that he's backtracking.

Brown basically said

The guy hated the raiders--corroborated.

The guy is good friends with Gruden--im sure thats true

The raiders game plan changed suddenly before the superbowl--corroborated..he also states in all of his football life that has never happened.

The raiders did not change the terminology of the plays that Gruden had installed in a game against gruden for a superbowl title--corroborated

He also said that in his opinion Callahan may have given the game to his buddy but he couldn't prove it.

People keep saying the defense is that Callahan would never do that because he would be known as super bowl winning coach for the rest of his life, but he obviously wasnt coaching it like the game of his life or else he wouldnt have changed the game plan and wouldve changed the terminology of the plays.

If he cared about winning the game his actions certainly didnt show it. So it either proves incompetence that Brown had never seen before in a coach or it proves suspicious behavior with motive to help lose the super bowl. Brown is basically saying that.

Instead of some bland denial statement from Callahan, I wouldve liked him to answer some questions as to why the terminology wasnt changed and why he changed the game plan and if thats why Robbins went AWOL. Shouldnt he at least be asked that question?
Great post. Still, some things about this story just don't pass the smell test. One, if Callahan hated the Raiders and their players, why did he take the job? Two, if you're the HC of a team with a chance to join an elite club, why would you sabotage it? Three, if Callahan hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage their chances to win a SB why would he come back the next year? Four, Callahan's history after that season, with failed stints with the Raiders and Nebraska, shows that he wasn't a very good HC even when he, presumably, was trying.

Meh. Whatever the reason Callahan and the RAiders got their ass kicked that day it is still one of my favorite football memories.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
Nope. You're too wrapped up in Norv. Time to move on.
People still haven't moved on from Marty, good luck with getting them to move on from Norv.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:

....., Callahan's history after that season, with failed stints with the Raiders and Nebraska, shows that he wasn't a very good HC even when he, presumably, was trying.
That is the most important statement I've seen in this entire thread.

Quote:
Meh. Whatever the reason Callahan and the RAiders got their ass kicked that day it is still one of my favorite football memories.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
It's not the reason you think and it doesn't really matter. I have my reasons. Take it or leave it.
It's a weird statement to make without some kind of exposition but suit yourself perryao.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
This pic always brings back good memories of that day.