Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
theyllneverknowwhathitem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Just go to to league settings and turn off the salary cap.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Hall of Famer

They would want gates and Mathews for that trade, maybe we can give them Cason for free.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran

I think trading for Revis would start with our 1st round pick and the Jets will probably want more, like another 1st round pick. Also, definite that Revis would want a restructured contract from the get-go.

If our team was better I'd consider it, but it doesn't fit where we are (rebuilding most of the offense and half the defense) and the new Telesco philosophy of building through the draft.

Now, if you want to mortage the future and take some shots at a Super Bowl with Rivers in the next couple of years, you'd also have to rebuild the OL and secondary with several free agents. I don't think we'd have the cap space to do all that.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Can he play LT?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Hall of Famer

Default ransom demands withstanding

It would be nice though to shut down one half of the defensive secondary, especially if Jammer moves to SS.

Revis Island at one CB, Gilchrist manning the other with Weddle and Jammer at Safety.

Not bad.

Never happen though.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Next man up

Revis is one of the best players in the NFL... at any position.

There are quite a few red flags though.

1. Trade costs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post

Maybe the Jets are so desperate for WR help that we'd be able to swindle them for Meachem plus a draft pick? It would be just a little more money and if he doesn't return to form, we let him walk. Maybe even Meachem and Gilchrist?
Meachem's trade value is quite low. So far, he is a free agent bust that will probably be given a chance based more on guaranteed money in his deal than on field performance.

I know the the OP didn't propose exactly what pick to trade but... I don't think Meachem and a 1st would be enough to get the Jets to hand him over. We would have to consider any draft pick sent over spent on a CB.... and while it is a very pressing need I think that OL is a much higher priority.

IMO our draft picks would be better spent in the draft, or trading for other positions (if we can find the right deal) then on Revis.

2. Injury: He just came off of a torn ACL... I am not sure it is possible to tell how any player will recover from a knee injury. Will he have an AP like recovery or will he have a Merriman like career tumble? I know they were different injuries but you never know with knees.

3. Contract: Revis is going to want to be the highest paid CB in every single year of his deal. The Jets thought they were getting him locked in on a cap friendly deal worth good mow but pretty much right after Revis signed it he said something along the lines of "We might be in this situation again in the future." Although he didn't hold out last season, he was sending a lot of messages to the team through the media about wanting a pay raise. As good of a player as he is... I am not sure I want a guy at that high of a risk of holding out anytime a new top defender... much less CB is signed to a bigger deal.

I can't take anything away from Revis as a football player... and as far as I know he has kept his record clean off the field. (could be wrong). But as it stands this year, I don't think he is the best use of our resources.

Last edited by Strife9878; 01-24-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
I don't think that trade would work even in Madden.
Meachem for Revis? That DEFINITELY would not work in Madden. The computer is smarter than that. I think this is probably the longest shot trade to ever have been thought of.......... I would die laughing if the Jets did it but honestly there is zero percent chance of this happening.

I am amazing like LaDainian, in a different way
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post
Revis is one of the best players in the NFL... at any position.

There are quite a few red flags though.

1. Trade costs:

Meachem's trade value is quite low. So far, he is a free agent bust that will probably be given a chance based more on guaranteed money in his deal than on field performance.

I know the the OP didn't propose exactly what pick to trade but... I don't think Meachem and a 1st would be enough to get the Jets to hand him over. We would have to consider any draft pick sent over spent on a CB.... and while it is a very pressing need I think that OL is a much higher priority.

IMO our draft picks would be better spent in the draft, or trading for other positions (if we can find the right deal) then on Revis.

2. Injury: He just came off of a torn ACL... I am not sure it is possible to tell how any player will recover from a knee injury. Will he have an AP like recovery or will he have a Merriman like career tumble? I know they were different injuries but you never know with knees.

3. Contract: Revis is going to want to be the highest paid CB in every single year of his deal. The Jets thought they were getting him locked in on a cap friendly deal worth good mow but pretty much right after Revis signed it he said something along the lines of "We might be in this situation again in the future." Although he didn't hold out last season, he was sending a lot of messages to the team through the media about wanting a pay raise. As good of a player as he is... I am not sure I want a guy at that high of a risk of holding out anytime a new top defender... much less CB is signed to a bigger deal.

I can't take anything away from Revis as a football player... and as far as I know he has kept his record clean off the field. (could be wrong). But as it stands this year, I don't think he is the best use of our resources.
To be honest, I was originally thinking 2nd rounder (wouldn't give up 1st as, I agree, our biggest need is OL--we can get immediate help with pick 11). Then I threw in Gilchrist. It would probably be more realistic (though, admittedly, still highway robbery) if it were Wright. Looks like they've got to roll with Sanchez so maybe they would see Meachem as a viable weapon (based on his numbers with NO, not last year). They obviously think they're fine with Cro as their #1 CB, getting a young, developing CB in return might be attractive. But, sure, the more I think about it, one 2nd rounder wouldn't do it. Maybe a conditional pick in 2014 (2nd rounder if we retain him). Obviously, he wants to big money deal. If he proves worth it, I would have no problem locking him up with that. You spend on shut down CBs when you have the chance.
3. J. Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
4. B. Thomas, OG, Clemson
5. T. Gaffney, RB, Stanford
6. J. Bromley, DT, Syracuse
7. C. Lucas, OT, Kansas St
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4PT0R View Post
Meachem for Revis? That DEFINITELY would not work in Madden. The computer is smarter than that. I think this is probably the longest shot trade to ever have been thought of.......... I would die laughing if the Jets did it but honestly there is zero percent chance of this happening.
We're not talking Madden. We're talking salary cap desperation. Teams do crazy things with elite players to get them out of salary cap trouble. Brandon Marshall is an example. If Meachem can return to NO form, he would be a definite upgrade for them at WR (that's when their personnel people earn their money and study tape to see why he couldn't mesh with PR). Wright has definite upside and looks to be developing into a legitimate starter (Gilly, not so much, but I'd rather lose him than Wright). Then two 2nd round picks? As a Charger fan, I'd love it. Would I do it if I were the Jets? Only if we could figure out what Meachem's problem was.
3. J. Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
4. B. Thomas, OG, Clemson
5. T. Gaffney, RB, Stanford
6. J. Bromley, DT, Syracuse
7. C. Lucas, OT, Kansas St
Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran

Revis is so awesome. I would try to find a way to get him without giving up the 11th pick.. which might be impossible.