Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Dominant nose tackles are being phased out of todays NFL, and aren't really necessary in today's NFL.

3-4 defenses in the NFL: San Diego, Kansas City, Dallas, Washington, Pittsburgh, Houston, Green Bay, San Francisco, Arizona

Only one of those teams have a dominant prototypical NT (BJ Raji with Green Bay).

It's simply not necessary in with all these passing offenses. Add to that the fact you only have a player 4 yrs before free agency and the learning curve for defensive tackles is slower than any other position; it takes them a few years to become productive. So you draft a guy who sucks for 3 years and finally gets it in year 4 then lose him to free agency. Simply not worth it.

That was 2011. Replace "Tebow" with "Manning" and it holds true for 2012."
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
Dominant nose tackles are being phased out of todays NFL, and aren't really necessary in today's NFL.

3-4 defenses in the NFL: San Diego, Kansas City, Dallas, Washington, Pittsburgh, Houston, Green Bay, San Francisco, Arizona

Only one of those teams have a dominant prototypical NT (BJ Raji with Green Bay).

It's simply not necessary in with all these passing offenses. Add to that the fact you only have a player 4 yrs before free agency and the learning curve for defensive tackles is slower than any other position; it takes them a few years to become productive. So you draft a guy who sucks for 3 years and finally gets it in year 4 then lose him to free agency. Simply not worth it.
A dominant Nose Tackle is a big Key for a 34 defense. I remember when the Chargers were pretty solid on defense. They had a guy who was arguably one of the best NT's in the game by the name of Jamal Williams.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 AM

Like most are saying, I would not mind if we got either. But If both were there, I would be 60-40 towards us taking Star.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 AM
Draft Well my TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
A stud NT is not as valuable when your QB will continue to die. Cam Thomas isn't Star, but a QB is the single most important piece of any team, and so a LT to keep him upright>>>>>NT
You should have left it with just this line. Great line.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Draft Well my TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

That explains why Haloti Ngata, Isaac Sopoaga, and Ricky Jean- Francois are in the Superbowl.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:43 AM
God of Thunder+Bolts

If I'm Mike McCoy I take the NT. No pressure to make the playoffs and decent NT's are rare.

If I want to make the playoffs next year, I go LT.

Resign DX, MF, Butler. Draft:

Dee Ford OLB, Jean-Baptiste CB, Daniel McCullens NT, Ahmad Dixon S, Trey Millard FB, and a (??) Percy Harvin/McCluster/Corrdelle Patterson type receiver for all purpose yards.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I would argue that the hierarchy of value goes: QB, pass rusher, LT, CB, and then NT.
What's the point of having a good QB if there's going to be nobody there to protect him?

There is no QB in the NFL that is caliber of making plays while on his back. There never has and there never will.

QB, OL, Pass rusher, and so on and so forth.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 AM
Draft Well my TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weddle46 View Post
What's the point of having a good QB if there's going to be nobody there to protect him?

There is no QB in the NFL that is caliber of making plays while on his back. There never has and there never will.

Oh then we have to draft a so on and so forth no later than the middle rounds then. I don't see anyway around that.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 AM
I am Cap'n Obvious

I don't think Star will fall that low... I see him going top 5. I'm hoping for Fisher.

Saw one mock that had Arizona picking Barkley... LOL! I think they learned their lesson with Leinart!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Bolo Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weddle46 View Post

I base my opinion of value hierarchy on salaries.

1. L. Nix, NT, Notre Dame
2. P. Gaines, CB, Rice
3. B. Ellington, WR, S. Carolina
4. J. Gayle, OLB, Va. Tech
5. B. Thomas, G, Clemson
6. J. Urschel, C, Penn State
7. C. Lucas, OT, KSU