Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
And, until Revis was injured, they had two pro bowl caliber CBs...not just Revis. I'm clearly not saying we can't use CB help. What I am saying is that if you don't allow the opposing QB all day to throw he's not going to beat mediocre CBs, like the Steelers have had for ages. And, even the Jets did not have a top 10 3rd down defense, albeit 11th. The point is you're not going to get two pro bowl CBs in all likelihood in the draft or FA...but you could very well come up with a true pass rushing threat that significantly cuts into the number of these bogus stats. They don't take into account who the WR is the DB is covering either. There's just so much wrong with these stats that it's not even funny. Sean Smith is rated as a crappy CB in these stats, but he's going to get a big payday in FA because he lined up against the best WR for the other team.
Well that's true.

I'm not advocating we trade for Revis unless we turn off the salary cap a la Madden. My point really was that the Jets don't really have a good front 7 and live off the play of Revis and Cro.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Well that's true.

I'm not advocating we trade for Revis unless we turn off the salary cap a la Madden. My point really was that the Jets don't really have a good front 7 and live off the play of Revis and Cro.
After his ACL I don't even know that I'd want to trade for him, to be quite frank.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Punt & Gather

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
And, until Revis was injured, they had two pro bowl caliber CBs...not just Revis. I'm clearly not saying we can't use CB help. What I am saying is that if you don't allow the opposing QB all day to throw he's not going to beat mediocre CBs, like the Steelers have had for ages. And, even the Jets did not have a top 10 3rd down defense, albeit 11th. The point is you're not going to get two pro bowl CBs in all likelihood in the draft or FA...but you could very well come up with a true pass rushing threat that significantly cuts into the number of these bogus stats. They don't take into account who the WR is the DB is covering either. There's just so much wrong with these stats that it's not even funny. Sean Smith is rated as a crappy CB in these stats, but he's going to get a big payday in FA because he lined up against the best WR for the other team.
I don't understand why you're so miffed about these stats, but they generally show that Cason and Jammer weren't too great, as if that wasn't obvious to us already.

A good pass-rush will help the secondary just as a good secondary will help the pass-rush. If we can get CBs who aren't too slow or lost in coverage, so much that they can function in man, well, it'll free up other players and improve the pass-rush.

It's not one or the other, it's both.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
I don't understand why you're so miffed about these stats, but they generally show that Cason and Jammer weren't too great, as if that wasn't obvious to us already.

A good pass-rush will help the secondary just as a good secondary will help the pass-rush. If we can get CBs who aren't too slow or lost in coverage, so much that they can function in man, well, it'll free up other players and improve the pass-rush.

you got it, bro.

i equate it to a well-balanced offense. if your run game is good, your pass game will improve by default, and vice versa.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Optimistic pessimist

Just look at Cason getting burned by an out of prison Plaxico
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsteele View Post
Just look at Cason getting burned by an out of prison Plaxico
yikes. i had almost forgotten that. what was it, 3 TD's for plaxico, all against cason? terrible.

i did find it slightly amusing to see AJ beat at his own game: a 6'5" receiver wreaking havoc on 6'0" at best DB's.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post

Because if you believe or go by these stats, then Sean Smith. who could easily start for us won't even get a contract in his FA year. There's too many holes in these "stats" to put much credence in them no matter how you or anyone else tries to paint this picture. There's just too much they don't take into account for them to mean much. They probably are the last stat you might want to use in the argument you're trying to make. Tell me this...where did the Chargers rank in QB hurries/knockdowns/sacks on 3rd down? I believe that's a much more telling stat by far when it comes to the effectiveness of CB play and getting off the field.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
All-Pro

One thing that makes Darrelle Revis such a special corner is the fact that he doesn't really on an effective pass rush as much as other top tier corners in the league. That Jets pass rush has been helped by Revis' coverage, no question.

Just watch this video, then realize that that's common for him to do. The guy has a different level of coverage skills uncommon to other shutdown corners in the league.

Last edited by physicsgeek; 01-30-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsgeek View Post
One thing that makes Darrelle Revis such a special corner is the fact that he doesn't really on an effective pass rush as much as other top tier corners in the league. That Jets pass rush has been helped by Revis' coverage, no question.

Just watch this video, then realize that that's common for him to do. The guy has a different level of coverage skills uncommon to other shutdown corners in the league.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o9pm...e_gdata_player
i agree that Revis doesnt seem to rely on the pass rush too much or at all. but to be honest ive seen the guy get away with so many PIs its crazy. the play the pops into my head is when he mugged Brandon Marshall a few years ago in the end zone for an INT.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
I am Cap'n Obvious

If AP is any indication of how well ACL/MCL surgeries are going these days, I don't think any team that gets Revis will have much to worry about.