Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Friar Talk > Friars General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 AM
Chico's Bail Bonds

Default Padres 2013

It's nice to know that Chase will be around this season. It's time to sign him to a long term contract. It's not like there is anyone else out that that's going to step in a replace him. Bring on the new season!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Veteran

Jedd Gyorko can and most likely will replace him. I think FO is waiting to see how he performs offensively at the big league level (at 2B) and if he performs up to expectations chase will be shipped away for another haul of prospects.
IMO this is not the time to sign headley long term, why sign him immediately after he had is best half of the year in his mlb tenure. If the FO is debating trading him they should do it NOW, if they plan on signing him long term then wait until after this season after he hits a measley 10 homers like every other year.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Yes....that makes all the sense in the world. Dump a guy that has been extremely consistent on defense since his move back to 3rd and has been solid at the plate his whole career for a guy who hasn't seen a pitch in the majors and isn't even close to as good defensively.
Do you give the guy a $50mil contract? No. They should've signed him long term before last year....that would've saved millions. Don't expect Gyorko to come in and be great.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Chico's Bail Bonds

What I want to see is new Ownership to step up and sign some of our best players to long term contracts and get a few quality Free Agents to round out the roster. I'm not asking them to break the bank or anything. But locking in players for longer than just a year would go a long way to bringing back fans to the park, which would be a huge step up from the previous ownership which did everything but try to field a competitive team.

I want to see that new Ownership is serious about putting together a winning team that can actually compete and go the distance.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Veteran

I agree with you here, by seasons end it is time to look to extend young players such as grandal and if they think Alonso is the answer at first base then him too (I personally think he is a very poor first baseman but that's just me).
But This is not the time to be extending players like headley coming off the best seasons of there life.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootMagroot View Post
Yes....that makes all the sense in the world. Dump a guy that has been extremely consistent on defense since his move back to 3rd and has been solid at the plate his whole career for a guy who hasn't seen a pitch in the majors and isn't even close to as good defensively.
Do you give the guy a $50mil contract? No. They should've signed him long term before last year....that would've saved millions. Don't expect Gyorko to come in and be great.
Exactly, they should have signed him long term earlier and he would have been dirt cheap, that's because he was a very average third baseman. In his 5 year career he has hit over .269 just twice, over 12 homeruns once, and over 64 rbis just once. You are making it seem like they would be getting rid of an MVP caliber player and replacing him with a liability. I assure you Chase will not put up numbers this year like he did last year, Gyorko does not have to come in and be great to replace headley. If he comes in and hits .265 with 20 hr he would be a more than viable replacement. Headleys value is now higher than ever and would likely haul in a latos type package, if that's the case then trade him, let one of the top prospects in the organization take his place, while also repleninishing the fa with a few more great prospects.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Colossal Ruvall

I don't know if you guys have heard about this: https://www.facebook.com/ChangeThePadres

Change the Padres is definitely an idea that I can get behind right now.
It's basically a documentary going over all the lies Padres fans have been told for the past few years concerning keeping talent and being competitive. It's really well done. It's not just a mindless rage video. There are a lot of sources that went into it.

Last edited by Good Days Last2; 02-07-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Chico's Bail Bonds

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out for sure.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Chico's Bail Bonds

I'm still waiting for the FO to go out and land some big name players. I wonder if they will try and spin Richard's signing as the equivalent of said 'big name player'.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Everth Cabrera linked to PEDs...not a good sign.

On a more positive note Padres win their first spring training game 9-3!! Gyorko with a grand salami...WS Bound!!