Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM
bolo yolo

The blended average by age in the article is interesting, but I don't think it tells much as it relates to single season performance - look at ATL who is 28.0 and we are at 27.9... so obviously there isn't a direct correlation to avg age and performance.

What would be interesting is to see how this trends season-to-season and how teams like ATL and us will compete with other teams that are younger like SEA. Obviously we are going to have higher player turnover, which may lead to less chemistry and the like, or it may not materially affect the outcome at all.

1. Jason Verrett, CB
2. Kyle Van Noy, OLB
3. Trai Turner, OG
4. Devin Street, WR
5. Zack Kerr, NT
6. Aaron Colvin, CB
7. Matt Patchan, OT
UDFA: Elhadji Ndiaye, OLB
Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Hold still, I'm reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
The blended average by age in the article is interesting, but I don't think it tells much as it relates to single season performance - look at ATL who is 28.0 and we are at 27.9... so obviously there isn't a direct correlation to avg age and performance.

What would be interesting is to see how this trends season-to-season and how teams like ATL and us will compete with other teams that are younger like SEA. Obviously we are going to have higher player turnover, which may lead to less chemistry and the like, or it may not materially affect the outcome at all.
Especially when you consider Tony Gonzalez is driving their average up and chances are they wont be filling his shoes any time soon. Guys like him and Gates are once/twice a decade kind of players (by position).

Gonzo is good for 800-1k yards and ~10 TDs a season. Ryan relies heavily on him especially when their run game sucks.

Gates pulls double teams every week, even when hes hobbling.

RIP Junior.
Replace the 95 emote with a 32!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
All-Pro

In their defense, I thought Aubrayo Franklin and D. Williams played above average when they were in.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Rookie

I think the new management and coaching staff will have an easier time cleaning house because they will be more invested in the Chargers as a team than individual players. Not counting the new drafts and FA’s, the entire roster was selected by someone else, so there will be no “buyer’s remorse” for bust draft picks or being personally/ emotionally invested in keeping a player way past their prime. I think we will see some smart, strategic, business like decisions leading up to the first roster cuts of next season.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Hold still, I'm reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I think the new management and coaching staff will have an easier time cleaning house because they will be more invested in the Chargers as a team than individual players. Not counting the new drafts and FA’s, the entire roster was selected by someone else, so there will be no “buyer’s remorse” for bust draft picks or being personally/ emotionally invested in keeping a player way past their prime. I think we will see some smart, strategic, business like decisions leading up to the first roster cuts of next season.
I agree, but I'm afraid people around here will get mad when and if we retain a couple guys like Jammer, TKO, or SP for a lower tag.

I think some people are expecting a complete cleaning, but they don't realize that we cant necessarily do that because of depth. For starters we need 4 new offensive linemen, not to mention anything we would like to call a respectable backup for them.

RIP Junior.
Replace the 95 emote with a 32!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebarnin View Post
I disagree. I think it is very pointed.

No one is saying that an old team can't win. The problem with the Chargers is that they are old and not very good. The Ravens are old, but they are winning. So the window may be closing on them winning the Super Bowl - but they are already a Super Bowl team. So it doesn't matter as much that they are old (although they need to watch out over the next few years).
You just made my point. Its not about age but if you are still good enough to get it done. This is why the old team thing is a stupid worthless point. Again, both of the teams in the SB are 2 of the "older" teams in the NFL. Its not about age.. its about are you good enough to get it done.. and do you have a little luck on your side. No team makes it to the SB without a little luck along the way.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCWeakEST View Post
if the word horrible doesn't sit right with you, which of the following terms best describes what we witnessed from the 2012-13 (-13 not so much) san diego chargers?:

A. debacle
B.
C. fiasco
D. failure (of the epic variety)
You must be young.

You haven't seen any of these things unless you watched this team through the Ryan Leaf years.

Last edited by chargertom; 01-31-2013 at 05:33 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
You must be young.

You haven't seen any of these things unless you watched this team through the Ryan Leaf years.
apples and oranges. with leaf at the helm, i knew what to expect: not much. with this current cast, the playoffs were not beyond the realm of realistic expectation. but the failures these past two seasons (between PR on halloween '11 to hey diddle diddle and everything between) have been almost glorious in that they've somehow found a new way to blow it, weekly topping themselves in fail magnitude. talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

me? i've been a fan of this outfit since '88 (i was young then, yes).

so i guess, at present, i'm only young at heart.

Last edited by AFCWeakEST; 01-31-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCWeakEST View Post
apples and oranges. with leaf at the helm, i knew what to expect: not much. with this current cast, the playoffs were not beyond the realm of realistic expectation. but the failures these past two seasons (between PR on halloween '11 to hey diddle diddle and everything between) have been almost glorious in that they've somehow found a new way to blow it, weekly topping themselves in fail magnitude. talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

me? i've been a fan of this outfit since '88 (i was young then, yes).

so i guess, at present, i'm only young at heart.
Nobody knew what to expect of Leaf. Many were excited when he was drafted. Nobody really knew he was going to become a headcase. Hindsight post.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Old guys rule.

Put me in, Coach!