Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If Fisher is gone, what should Chargers do?
Stay at #11 and take Lane Johnson 16 17.78%
Trade down, get a 2nd rounder and hope for a decent tackle 12 13.33%
Draft Warmack if he's available at #11 50 55.56%
Other--see below 12 13.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Thor Hammer Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
Three changes they might make that will help if Rivers can adapt to it well, and I believe he can with no problems, is to start using a lot more 3 and 5 step drop timing patterns, using the shotgun, and using the hurry up offense.

All of these maneuvers should also make the OL look better. They won't have to hold their blocks as long with shorter setups...Rivers won't have to drop back much from the shotgun, plus he'll have a nice look at the defensive formation...and we can utilize the hurry up when we get a personnel mismatch that we can take advantage of.

None of this stuff was run with Norv, but McCoy has been exposed to all of it. Hopefully we see some offensive creativity here that can help mask some of the OL problems, because I doubt we can fix every position.
In your opinion would a hurry up offense help our run game too? I'd imagine a defense given plenty of time to get into position would be ready for those patented up the gut plays for 2 yards. Somehow someway Peyton Manning's hurry up offense allows for draw plays for key 1st downs. One thing I'm glad to see gone is Norv relaying plays to Whitehurst to Rivers.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Thor Hammer Defense

Quote:
I was talking Fisher vs. Joeckel. The poster that I was responding to said he wouldn't take Fisher at 11.
What. No Fisher at #11.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Not like other teams use it on all downs. We mostly used it on 3rd downs, while 1st and 2nd not that much. Manning plays from it almost exclusively.
I hope we don't use it that much, I'd like it if we could feature a strong running game and shotgun is difficult to run out of.

If we land Fisher I don't think he'll help improve the run game much, but the pass protection would sure improve. I think Warmack would help out a lot in the run game and help out our tackles and Hardwick by keeping the pocket cleaner.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46um View Post
In your opinion would a hurry up offense help our run game too? I'd imagine a defense given plenty of time to get into position would be ready for those patented up the gut plays for 2 yards. Somehow someway Peyton Manning's hurry up offense allows for draw plays for key 1st downs. One thing I'm glad to see gone is Norv relaying plays to Whitehurst to Rivers.
I think it's all in the offensive play design. McCoy has experience in this thanks to Tebow and Peyton, so I would think he can make it work here too. I agree with you on the plays being relayed.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
I hope we don't use it that much, I'd like it if we could feature a strong running game and shotgun is difficult to run out of.

If we land Fisher I don't think he'll help improve the run game much, but the pass protection would sure improve. I think Warmack would help out a lot in the run game and help out our tackles and Hardwick by keeping the pocket cleaner.
In all honesty, I think you're wrong. He's going to be a road grader over there by his 2nd year...not to mention the kid has a nice mean streak...plays all the way to the whistle.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
In all honesty, I think you're wrong. He's going to be a road grader over there by his 2nd year...not to mention the kid has a nice mean streak...plays all the way to the whistle.
I do like his nastiness, he definitely plays through the whistle. He needs to get significantly stronger if he's ever going to be a road grader though. People keep bringing up Lane Johnson and say he needs to add 10 lbs but it looks to me like he plays stronger than Fisher and he's a little bit more athletic.

I think Fisher will be great on the second level and a good position blocker but he's not going to move people out of the way.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
I do like his nastiness, he definitely plays through the whistle. He needs to get significantly stronger if he's ever going to be a road grader though. People keep bringing up Lane Johnson and say he needs to add 10 lbs but it looks to me like he plays stronger than Fisher and he's a little bit more athletic.

I think Fisher will be great on the second level and a good position blocker but he's not going to move people out of the way.
If he was planning on staying in the 305 lb. range, I'd agree with you. I'm basing my projection on the fact he's been talking about putting on another 20-25 lbs. though, and I believe if he does that, along with the coaching he'll get in the NFL vs. Central Michigan, he's going to be really good against the run. At the Senior Bowl all the scouts and coaches there agreed they thought he could do that and not lose his speed and quickness due to his size. At any rate, if we're fortunate enough to be able to draft him he'll be a much better run blocker than McNeil ever was, and just as good if not better at protecting the QB, IMO.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Seems like Eric Fisher is the talk of the town. How good is this guy?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekal View Post
Seems like Eric Fisher is the talk of the town. How good is this guy?
Nobody really knows, Dekal, until he steps onto a NFL field, just like all rookies. However, he appears to be very good, but he will most likely go off the board before we select now...probably the Cardinals the way it's looking.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

You know everyone assumes that the Eagles are going to pick a left tackle but with Peters coming back, I think they pass off on one altogether until the second round. We may be able to get Joeckel if Fisher ends up leapfrogging him. That's my hope at least anyways.

Unleash the Rivers!!!