Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is on my mind.
Tom, Where's my jerky???!!! 11 23.91%
I ran out of Chill Pills 18 39.13%
Ok. who let gooey out 6 13.04%
bacon and waffles. thats on my mind 14 30.43%
TPVG is back!!! 6 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 AM
< Need new refs anyways

You're old enough to get over the "who will my friends be" component.

On the other hand, you are young enough to move wherever you want, and pursue whatever path you want.

Let's start from step 1: In your future, nobody will care one whit -- I mean not one iota -- where your first years were at college. They will care what your degree is in, and where it is from. If you can "upgrade" where your degree is from, especially with only paying one year's worth of tuition (ie you mentioned Vanderbit): DO IT.

Also, if you can get a degree that actually includes useful tools for an employer: DO IT.

Most importantly, do not worry about others who have a head start, just focus forward and do what is best for you.

I'm a ridiculously pedigreed guy who started at a "state school." And have a son at a JC. There is NOTHING wrong with where you are at, and especially given your current age.

If you want any more advice, pm me with a number, and I'll be glad to talk to you over the phone.

Regardless -- you are doing FINE. Get over the doldrums -- and get the best grades you can, wherever you are, while you plan for the future.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post

On the other hand, you are young enough to move wherever you want, and pursue whatever path you want.

Let's start from step 1: In your future, nobody will care one whit -- I mean not one iota -- where your first years were at college. They will care what your degree is in, and where it is from. If you can "upgrade" where your degree is from, especially with only paying one year's worth of tuition (ie you mentioned Vanderbit): DO IT.

Also, if you can get a degree that actually includes useful tools for an employer: DO IT.

Most importantly, do not worry about others who have a head start, just focus forward and do what is best for you.

I'm a ridiculously pedigreed guy who started at a "state school." And have a son at a JC. There is NOTHING wrong with where you are at, and especially given your current age.

If you want any more advice, pm me with a number, and I'll be glad to talk to you over the phone.

Regardless -- you are doing FINE. Get over the doldrums -- and get the best grades you can, wherever you are, while you plan for the future.
tl;dr
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Probably the most repulsive thing I've ever seen. Link not copied, and post REPORTED!
See ya later, alligator!

I can't believe that snake was big enough to swallow a gator. No wonder Florida is letting people hunt 'em.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 AM
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

NM This is my view as an Aussie.

America seems to have this massive thing about moving cross country and then learning how to restart your life basically by being by yourself and then meeting new people and "growing up". I don't think many other countries do it that way or can do it that way.

Here only a few will travel interstate for uni and it's mainly people leaving the country towns to come to the city. Most will live with their parents for a few years while studying then move out with a few friends or will be more individual and house share. They make new friends from work, uni or sport but there are still only about 5 that you stay close with. And cause we don't move far we keep a few HS friends.

What i'm saying is just cause you're doing it a little differently to how others in your country are doing it doesn't mean it's the wrong way. There are people who have done what you want to do and not enjoyed it. You just need to do your own thing and forget about the pressure on yourself to move to a big city. That could come when you finish uni and start looking for work.

Sig By BoltCola
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmboltsfan View Post
21. I know I'm obviously still very young, but I feel like this is something I should have taken care of 3 years ago. Like maybe I should have stayed at NMSU in las cruces even though I hated it.

I don't regret coming back home, but I do wonder if it was a mistake, if that makes sense. Now I'm scared about transferring universities AGAIN and at this point I have to wonder if all the "meeting new people" dynamics will be gone, because everyone will be settled into their groups or whatever.

So if I move to Nashville/Vanderbilt, Tuscaloosa/Bama, New York, San Diego, Denver, wherever, what if I just end up being miserable because I've already missed my opportunity.
America is the land of second chances; it is never too late. I went to community college when I was twenty five, transferred to university, and graduated with a comp sci- MBA when I was thirty one. It was one of the best decisions I have made. Don't give up.

Like someone said: pick a degree that will train you with useful skills to an employer. Remember if you can't out smart the other students, then out work them to get the grades. Treat this as a job and not a social scene and you will come out on top.

Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM

Just give up on college. It's not worth the hassle.

Grab you a good job cleaning out drainage ditches, or washing dishes at Denny's. Good stable income beats unknown success in getting a degree. $200 a week before taxes is nothing to sneeze at!

You'll be able to make friends with tons of great people on the night shift at Denny's.

And living at home beats having bills to pay, any day of the week. So whatever you do, don't get all high and mighty and think about getting out on your own. It's not worth it.

Grab a spot on the night shift, come home, grab some Doritos and play Xbox all day. Start growing your hair out, it'll increase your chances of getting hired. Some tattoos, and a few piercings would seal the deal.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Moderator of the Goo

CT with the Trolololololo........

Seriously NM, you know what you have to do. You were the first when we gave you advice. You're going thru the motions and letting others affect your thinking. Who cares that your brother is in New York. Get over it.

Think about joining the military. They'll set the discipline for you. Bottom line. You're just a yungin. There's a lot of time for you. You haven't even hit you're prime. Both physically, and mentally.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Moderator of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
See ya later, alligator!

I can't believe that snake was big enough to swallow a gator. No wonder Florida is letting people hunt 'em.
Gator was a young'in (small) based on what there is in the frames to get a size perspective...

Would be a horrible way to go - slow suffocation.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

NM, this is the best advice you're gonna get.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Just give up on college. It's not worth the hassle.

Grab you a good job cleaning out drainage ditches, or washing dishes at Denny's. Good stable income beats unknown success in getting a degree. $200 a week before taxes is nothing to sneeze at!

You'll be able to make friends with tons of great people on the night shift at Denny's.

And living at home beats having bills to pay, any day of the week. So whatever you do, don't get all high and mighty and think about getting out on your own. It's not worth it.

Grab a spot on the night shift, come home, grab some Doritos and play Xbox all day. Start growing your hair out, it'll increase your chances of getting hired. Some tattoos, and a few piercings would seal the deal.

Good luck!
NM, this is good facetious advice. If you follow it I guarantee you will see the wisdom of what LongTime was telling you.
Closed Thread