Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran

I can't imagine taking a NT not named Lotuleilei in the first... Hankins is ok but compared to the need on the Oline... that just doesnt make any sense to me.

IMO, its OT in the first or bust. Fisher if he's there, or trade back if possible and take Johnson. Then go Barret Jones in the 2nd to play LG and slide to C after Hardwick retires next season.

This team needs OTs more than it needs anything, by alot. In fact, I also expect to sign a T in FA to play RT... even Jake Long if his price comes down enough.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEsq View Post
I can't imagine taking a NT not named Lotuleilei in the first... Hankins is ok but compared to the need on the Oline... that just doesnt make any sense to me.

IMO, its OT in the first or bust. Fisher if he's there, or trade back if possible and take Johnson. Then go Barret Jones in the 2nd to play LG and slide to C after Hardwick retires next season.

This team needs OTs more than it needs anything, by alot. In fact, I also expect to sign a T in FA to play RT... even Jake Long if his price comes down enough.
No guarantees that Johnson will be there if we trade back. At the moment Johnson is rated top 15 by many. If the OT we want is not there at 11 we go BPA. In that case we'd consider a OLB prospect, CB, NT or possibly OG.

This class looks top heavy at O line. If we miss our guys in the 1st, 2nd round we'd have to go FA to get an impact O line guys that will help us this year. Since FA comes first I would expect some moves there.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
No guarantees that Johnson will be there if we trade back. At the moment Johnson is rated top 15 by many. If the OT we want is not there at 11 we go BPA. In that case we'd consider a OLB prospect, CB, NT or possibly OG.

This class looks top heavy at O line. If we miss our guys in the 1st, 2nd round we'd have to go FA to get an impact O line guys that will help us this year. Since FA comes first I would expect some moves there.
If Johnson is also top 15 on our board, I would be fine with us taking him at 11 because of the need. With the strong possibility of us needing to fill both tackle spots, free agency alone is not an option IMO.

1. Chance Warmack
2. D.J. Fluker
3. Barrett Jones
4-7. BPA
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimr1428 View Post
Jonathan Hankins?
Hankins, Star Lotulelei, Jonathan Jenkins, or Jesse Williams.

Any of those names bookend by Liuget and Reyes would be tough to handle and make our secondary that much better.

With that said, I really hope we get an OT.
3rd - CB Pierre Desir
4th - DT Justin Ellis
5th - OLB Howard Jones
6th - CB - Aaron Colvin
7th - WR -John Brown
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Thor Hammer Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimr1428 View Post
Jonathan Hankins?
He slotted to go in the mid 1st to 2nd round. If he's still there in round 2 he's on our cluster for sure. I've got Jon Jenkin's backup Kwame Geathers in the later rounds in my mock.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46um View Post
He slotted to go in the mid 1st to 2nd round. If he's still there in round 2 he's on our cluster for sure. I've got Jon Jenkin's backup Kwame Geathers in the later rounds in my mock.
Everything I've seen has him as a mid-late 1st. But still would be a reach anyways, I just brought him up since that other poster said we could go NT, but Star is likely gone and Hankins is probably the next rated guy.

EDIT: well actually after having watched some of Star on youtube, I could see him falling to us. Not as dominant, consistent, or solid in the run game as I thought he would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltzfan View Post
If Fisher comes into the combine weighing closer to 320 than 305 (his Senior Bowl Weight) he very well could be the first tackle off the board. If Lane Johnson can do the same I could see him being projected in the top 15 as well.

For the record, I would take Lane Johnson before Warmack. OT >>> OG
Yea this is something to consider, that LT is just a more important position than LG. So you have to balance talent vs value of position so that if you are reaching for a need, the importance of that position helps equal it out imo. Taking an OG isn't going to help us out much in the near future if we can't get an adequate LT.
4. Justin Ellis - NT
5. Gabe Ikard - C/G
6. Cornelius Lucas - OT
7. Cody Hoffman - WR

Last edited by Prae; 02-01-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Draft This Man

It'd take something for him to fall towards us. Star is an elite athlete who has only played D1 football for two years. No doubt he should go top 5 in my mind.

sean of BSX
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltzfan View Post
If Fisher comes into the combine weighing closer to 320 than 305 (his Senior Bowl Weight) he very well could be the first tackle off the board. If Lane Johnson can do the same I could see him being projected in the top 15 as well.

For the record, I would take Lane Johnson before Warmack. OT >>> OG

I would love getting a OT in the first round, but I have a feeling, based on value, we may me getting a NT with that pick instead. I can't see Milliner being there at 11 and that is too early for Banks.
I see no way he's anywhere close to 320 lbs. at the combine. Not a good 320 anyhow. This just doesn't make sense. If he came in at 320 he'd probably really hurt himself in the drills...or have a lot of raised eyebrows with roids in the back of everyone's mind. His ascension to a higher weight has to be both smart, and healthy. There will come an optimum weight that still allows him to play with the athleticism he currently plays with, while giving him more strength and power too, and coming into the combine at 320 a month after weighing 305 is neither smart nor healthy, IMO. If he comes in around 310, that would be more likely to be highly viewed by scouts to be in his favor.

Again people are pushing Lane Johnson too far up the board, IMO. I think he's solid from say 16-18 down. Any higher and I think you passed someone else up.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNAFTA View Post
People are already talking about Joeckel being the second best OT in the draft, with Fisher possibly being rated higher than him come draft time. If they are too close to tell come draft time, is either one of them worth a no.1 pick? If Chiefs don't go QB, I see them going defense. They have had the most success picking defensive players.
I think if the chiefs don't go qb, lets say they get Alex smith in free agency they'll go OT. But that's only if they're not on agreeable terms with Branden Albert, if he walks out to test FA. I have a really strong feeling that Joeckel and Fischer will be gone before the draft pick falls to us. I'd go Johnson or Warnack so we could start solidifying our offensive line.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardCharge View Post
I think if the chiefs don't go qb, lets say they get Alex smith in free agency they'll go OT. But that's only if they're not on agreeable terms with Branden Albert, if he walks out to test FA. I have a really strong feeling that Joeckel and Fischer will be gone before the draft pick falls to us. I'd go Johnson or Warnack so we could start solidifying our offensive line.
I think you're right about the Chiefs taking an OT if Albert isn't signed. However, I think they're going to sign Albert. Once they do that, then it's either QB or a defensive player. You might also see them trading down a few spots and then taking the CB they like best to put across from Flowers. They could go DL, but they've invested a lot of draft picks in their DL the last few years, so IMO, if they go defense it'll be a DB or LB.

As far as Johnson and Warmack are concerned, I don't like Johnson at 11. I think that's too high and at that point you're drafting for need and skipping over too many better players. I like him, but not until at least 16-18 down. Had Matthews and Lewan stayed in the draft, he would have been a late 1st at best, and most likely a 2nd round pick, IMO, and now everyone is elevating him to the 11th pick in the draft. I don't think that's a very wise decision. Warmack is a possiblity, but I like the idea of drafting a pass rusher if the pass protector isn't there for us as a better idea. I think we'll have a better idea once we get into FA and see the direction we go, and the players we sign/let go.