Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiegoDuck View Post
DeAngelo still has some life to him, has always shared carries, and I thought I heard Carolina would be willing to split half the contract. He's a home run hitter, and fast. The Chargers team speed is well, disappointing. We need faster guys that can tear off huge chunks of yardage.

If we can find someone better and or cheaper, cool. He still has 3 good years left.
I agree completely. People are saying that Mathews declined because of oline. Only partly true. The guy is an injury liability which is why I dont see him as a legit starter in this league. Plus he never breaks for the big yardage even during numerous times when he had nice seems to run through. While I agree that this was the exception and not the norm because our line was so atrocious, I just still dont see him as ever being a home run hitter.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiegoDuck View Post
DeAngelo still has some life to him, has always shared carries, and I thought I heard Carolina would be willing to split half the contract. He's a home run hitter, and fast. The Chargers team speed is well, disappointing. We need faster guys that can tear off huge chunks of yardage.

If we can find someone better and or cheaper, cool. He still has 3 good years left.
I never thought of DeAngelo as a home run hitter, but you are right. From a Panthers article this time last year:

"A great metric for measuring the value of running backs is explosive plays. We're talking runs of over 20 yards. And believe it or not no one does it better than DeAngelo Williams. In fact, every 14th time he carries the ball, he rips off a 20+ yarder. He finished the season tied for third in the NFL in runs of over 20 yards. When you take into account his limited number of carries, he is by far the most explosive back in the league. Let's take a look at the numbers, after the jump...

LeSean McCoy 273 carries, 14 runs of 20+ yards, 1 explosive play every 19.5 carries

Matt Forte 203 carries, 12 runs of 20+ yards, 1 explosive play every 16.9 carries

DeAngelo Williams 155 carries, 11 runs of 20+ yards, 1 explosive play every 14.1 carries

Michael Turner 301 carries, 11 runs of 20+ yards, 1 explosive play every 27.4 carries

Frank Gore 282 carries, 11 runs of 20+ yards, 1 explosive play every 25.6 carries

As you can see, DeAngelo is the most consistent back in the game in terms of breaking off big gains. There has been a bunch of gum-bumping about how we gave him too much money or about how Stewart should get 75% of the carries, etc, etc. Sure, DeAngelo does get stopped for no gain more than we would like, but he maintained a 5.4 yards average for much of the year, and nearly reached 1,000 yards on only 155 carries."

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012...ack-in-the-nfl

Age is obviously a factor. But having split so much time, he has less wear on his tires than other 29 year olds.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Y'all make a good case for DeAngelo in SD. Hope we contact him.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Boltergeist

Gettleman (the new CAR GM) is talking like Williams will be part of the team in 13. Even if he were to be a June cut, it would cost 5M in dead cap space in 14.

If Carolina's going to have big cap saving cuts it's Chris Gamble or possibly Jordan Gross.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Whelp.. i guess we'll check Williams off the list...
3) Martavius Bryant - WR (Clemson)
4) Justin Ellis - NT (Louisiana Tech)
5) E.J. Gaines - CB (Missouri)
6) Brandon Thomas - OG (Clemson)
7) Chaz Sutton - DE (South Carolina)