Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 AM
< Better than today's NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
It's only $50 if you want a selfie with him.

Bargain.
That part of it is definitely not normal.

If it were $50 for a professional photo, where you get an 8x10 and a digital file copy emailed to you, that would be in line for someone of Manziel's caliber. BTW, the prices can get really out of hand for photo ops, they are almost always more expensive than the autograph fees. The worst I have seen is $450 for a professional photo op with Terry Bradshaw !

Selfies are usually prohibited during signing events. Allowing them for a price is a pretty sketchy move by the promoter (possibly experimental, I don't know). My guess is the promoter is trying to cut costs by eliminating the professional photo company, but keeping pricing around the same, so they get a better cut for themselves. It likely wouldn't affect Johnny's pay as he would likely get a flat fee from the promoter, for a certain amount of time, regardless of how many autographs he signs or how many photos he does.

I don't like the idea, I say just keep selfies and/or lean in photos prohibited. If you want to take a pic of the athlete signing your item, that's one thing you should be able to get included with the autograph fee. If you want a photo next to them, you need to pay for the professional photo op, which has a seperate line and is usually done before the signing time (so you have the opportunity to get your photo autographed as well).

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Just one more addition to this...the spin masters in the media like to turn these stories into something negative when they have an opportunity to dump on someone they don't like (such as Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel). But the truth is that having to pay for athelete's autograph is (and has been for quite some time) the way things work. The guys they single out as being selfish mercenaries, simply because the writer of the article doesn't like the particular athelete, are far from being alone on this.

The truth is that autographed sports memorabilia is part of a billion dollar industry. Dealers, promoters, authenticors and such make a living off this and numerous people enjoy the hobby of collecting these items. There is easily at least 1 signing event taking place some place in the country on any given (non-holiday) day. Nobody is working these events for free. Autographed memorabilia has value to it, and almost everyone reaches a point where they want to sell off their memorabilia. Athlete's are not going to donate their time, signing autographs for free at these events, so some dealer can turn around and sell the memorabilia for a profit. In today's day and age, with eBay and the likes, autographs should be something you pay for regardless if you acquire it first hand or second hand. Most things of value you do have to pay for.

Are there rare exceptions, where you can score an autograph for free ? Of course. If you catch an athlete in public, I'm sure they won't try and charge you, but are you gong to have the piece of memorabilia you want signed with you at that moment ? Probably not. Teams also tend to have fan appreciation days where select current athletes will sign autographs for free after practice or whatever. You don't get the same quality experience you do at an organized signing event though. You'll likely have to push/shove with other fellow fans to get your turn, and the signature is likely going to be of lower quality than when they are sitting down at a table, taking their time trying to give you a quality signature. I know this, because I have seen the clear difference in quality first hand.

Numerous current and former athletes, coaches and even executives participate in signing events which are pay per autograph events. I can tell you that Bosa is doing one at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in 2 weeks along with other mid-west college superstars. Fouts, Joiner, Winslow and LT all regularly participate in paid signings events as well.

There are basically only 3 types that don't participate in these public events:

1). Those who are not famous enough to draw interest

2). The diva's like Potatohead, who will only do private signings (and for a much heftier fee)

3). Rare cases like Rivers, who either don't have the time or desire

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Old 01-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Hall of Famer

-Mario Lopez
Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Hall of Famer

-Mario Lopez
Old 01-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer

-Mario Lopez
Old 01-11-2017, 11:02 AM

Yeah Butts, those guys fall under category 1 listed above (not famous enough to draw interest at a signing event). They have no value either.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Hall of Famer

-Mario Lopez
Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
Yeah Butts, those guys fall under category 1 listed above (not famous enough to draw interest at a signing event). They have no value either.
I don't care much about the Manziel autograph bit but we now know that marion butts has a terrible baseball card collection
Old 01-11-2017, 01:50 PM
. . .

Quote:
Just one more addition to this...the spin masters in the media like to turn these stories into something negative when they have an opportunity to dump on someone they don't like (such as Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel). But the truth is that having to pay for athelete's autograph is (and has been for quite some time) the way things work. The guys they single out as being selfish mercenaries, simply because the writer of the article doesn't like the particular athelete, are far from being alone on this.

The truth is that autographed sports memorabilia is part of a billion dollar industry. Dealers, promoters, authenticors and such make a living off this and numerous people enjoy the hobby of collecting these items. There is easily at least 1 signing event taking place some place in the country on any given (non-holiday) day. Nobody is working these events for free. Autographed memorabilia has value to it, and almost everyone reaches a point where they want to sell off their memorabilia. Athlete's are not going to donate their time, signing autographs for free at these events, so some dealer can turn around and sell the memorabilia for a profit. In today's day and age, with eBay and the likes, autographs should be something you pay for regardless if you acquire it first hand or second hand. Most things of value you do have to pay for.

Are there rare exceptions, where you can score an autograph for free ? Of course. If you catch an athlete in public, I'm sure they won't try and charge you, but are you gong to have the piece of memorabilia you want signed with you at that moment ? Probably not. Teams also tend to have fan appreciation days where select current athletes will sign autographs for free after practice or whatever. You don't get the same quality experience you do at an organized signing event though. You'll likely have to push/shove with other fellow fans to get your turn, and the signature is likely going to be of lower quality than when they are sitting down at a table, taking their time trying to give you a quality signature. I know this, because I have seen the clear difference in quality first hand.

Numerous current and former athletes, coaches and even executives participate in signing events which are pay per autograph events. I can tell you that Bosa is doing one at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in 2 weeks along with other mid-west college superstars. Fouts, Joiner, Winslow and LT all regularly participate in paid signings events as well.

There are basically only 3 types that don't participate in these public events:

1). Those who are not famous enough to draw interest

2). The diva's like Potatohead, who will only do private signings (and for a much heftier fee)

3). Rare cases like Rivers, who either don't have the time or desire
TL;DR

(insert old lights-out emoji)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 PM
SAN DIEGO Chargers

Quote:
Actually it's a very common and standard practice that numerous past and present athletes partake in (including our beloved LT and Fouts). These are organized events headed up by promoters, not a matter of a guy telling people via social media to approach him with a $100 bill if they see him. The promoters and venues get their cut of the fees as well, they usually will pay the athelete a flat fee for the appearance.

I respect the guys who do public appearances a lot more than the prima donna's like Potatohead and Brady who only do private signings. By Private signings I mean you are given the opportunity mail in your items to a specific store, they show up on a scheduled day/time and sign all of the items, then you get it mailed back to you. You never get to meet them, no photo ops, nothing. Potatohead head charges around $450 for an autograph (at private signings), and Brady I've seen as high as $750. Emmitt Smith actually does public signings, but charges around $225 for an autograph and an extra $100 for an inscription. Are any of those guys hurting for money ?

You'd also be surprised on how much of a demand there is for Manziel's autograph. Also keep in mind this is something organized by a promoter, not Johnny himself, so the promoter believes people are gonna line up (and they are right). I've seen autographed helmets of his go on eBay for around $400 since he got the boot from the NFL. Sometimes guys with notoriety are the ones with the highest demand, Mike Tyson singing rubber ears is a classic example...
I realize it's a common practice for established stars to partake in these events, but I never thought there would be a demand for a guy like Manziel. I wouldn't wait in line if it was free. Actually I probably wouldn't get one even if there wasn't a line. Im shocked theres a demand for him given the fact that he did absolutely nothing as a pro and burned a golden opportunity that practically all football fans would dream of having.