Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents/Trade Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default 2017 Defensive Secondary Thread

Thought that I'd start up this companion to the oline thread.

I'm not a fan of PFF (Pro Football Focus), but this sounds like an interesting free agency possibility:

Quote:
Picking one free agent every team should sign this offseason
Pro Football Focus
ESPN Insider
February 17, 2017

Free agency offers the chance for every NFL team to kick-start its roster improvements. Every franchise wants to excel in the draft and build its roster over the long term for minimal outlay, but free agency can fast-track that process and give teams proven NFL commodities -- if they are willing to pay for them.

The Dallas Cowboys arguably have the league's best offensive line because they threw draft resources at it for several seasons -- and hit on those draft picks -- but the Oakland Raiders came close to matching that with a free-agent spending spree, bringing in several key players to transform their line and offense overall.

With that in mind, here is one free agent -- unrestricted or restricted, from the list of every player who could make it to the market -- each NFL team should sign this offseason.

Note: Each player's position rank is based on PFF's grades, and we're not including re-signings -- only players switching teams.

Los Angeles Chargers
Tony Jefferson, S | Position rank: 5th

New defensive coordinator Gus Bradley will almost assuredly bring with him the Cover 3 defense he ran so frequently in Jacksonville and Seattle. That defense has a specific role for a box safety with the ability to play the run, and there's none better on the market this offseason than Jefferson. The safety had a run-stop percentage of 10.5 when he lined up in the box last season in Arizona, a figure that led all safeties and would have put him fifth among starting linebackers. Jefferson was made for Bradley's defense.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/stor...on-pierre-paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Is there not some players on the current roster that are more LB'r than cover type that might fit the bill ?

GO BOLTS !
Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Is there not some players on the current roster that are more LB'r than cover type that might fit the bill ?
Jatavis Brown would be the one that comes to mind, but who would take his place in the LB corps if his skill set does meet the standards for safety in the Bradley system?

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Hall of Famer

What about McCoil.....does he not sound like the LB'r/S type that is sought ?

GO BOLTS !
Old 02-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
What about McCoil.....does he not sound like the LB'r/S type that is sought ?
McCoil certainly has the size, so that is a potential option if staff believes he has the skill set, especially if they don't sign a free agent safety.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Hall of Famer

I wish we picked him up last year and dropped Addae. While Addae did improve this year, he was injured again....injured in a really dumb and reckless decision too....but the point is even with improvement Jefferson is still better.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Power of 51

We are not hiring 26 FA's will nilly all over the place when our roster is at full strength now.
Anybody would have good run numbers when you can be an extra unblocked tackler in the box. It just means he can't cover a baby with a blanket.

FLAME ME RIGHT NOW !!!!! ABUSE ME !! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!