Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Bolt News
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1771  
Old 02-11-2017, 09:31 PM
chargertom's Avatar
chargertom chargertom is offline
Bandwagon Homer Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Richfield
Posts: 71,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree... What exactly do the Chargers have in LA?
A team worth twice it's former value, $350 million a year in revenue, no maintenance costs for upkeep of the stadium, and a lease payment?

I'm sure Spanos is crying himself to sleep every night.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #1772  
Old 02-11-2017, 09:59 PM
JoeMcRugby's Avatar
JoeMcRugby JoeMcRugby is online now
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Rossmoor
Posts: 49,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWest View Post
And the Clippers will always be the second banana team in LA. If they were to win some NBA titles (not happening anytime soon) and the Lakers were bad, they would "own" LA temporarily. But once the Lakers became a power again, even if the Clippers were good, the Lakers would be the top dog team.

They have the history, they had the stars, they have the championships. Staples is considered the Lakers arena, with the Clippers merely tenants, or roommates, if you will. Very much like in NY metro with the pro teams in each sport.

This will likely be the Chargers situation in LA with the Rams, although the Rams don't have the titles the Lakers have.
Besides the 11 championships versus 0 count, there's one other fundamental difference between the Chargers and Clippers in regard to their "rivalries" with the Rams and Lakers respectively:

Unlike older original fans and even Gen X fans who remember going to or having the experience of their father/parents bringing them to Rams games at the Coliseum or the Big A, millenials have zero connection with the Rams due to their absence from LA for two decades. If (big if) they win, they can definitely become THE team in LA just as the Raiders predominantly took over the region during their 15 years at the Coliseum.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #1773  
Old 02-12-2017, 11:03 AM
perryao's Avatar
perryao perryao is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Spring Valley
Posts: 18,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWest View Post
And the Clippers will always be the second banana team in LA. If they were to win some NBA titles (not happening anytime soon) and the Lakers were bad, they would "own" LA temporarily. But once the Lakers became a power again, even if the Clippers were good, the Lakers would be the top dog team.

They have the history, they had the stars, they have the championships. Staples is considered the Lakers arena, with the Clippers merely tenants, or roommates, if you will. Very much like in NY metro with the pro teams in each sport.

This will likely be the Chargers situation in LA with the Rams, although the Rams don't have the titles the Lakers have.
If Spanos' motivation was to be "top dog" in a locale he would've stayed in SD where he was not only the "top dog" but also the cat's meow.

He's in LA for the dollars and he's going to get them. imo.
__________________
"There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued." Thomas Huxley

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
  #1774  
Old 02-12-2017, 02:09 PM
JimWest's Avatar
JimWest JimWest is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
If Spanos' motivation was to be "top dog" in a locale he would've stayed in SD where he was not only the "top dog" but also the cat's meow.

He's in LA for the dollars and he's going to get them. imo.
perry, I like your "cat's meow" term, haha.

Your points are true enough, both regarding being top dog, and Spanos doing this relocation for the money.

I believe he is well aware of his team's likely status in relation to the Rams, but could not care less. Just as I perceive some of his personnel moves the last number of years were dubious if one was fully committed to winning.
  #1775  
Old 02-13-2017, 10:32 AM
eaterfan eaterfan is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Irvine
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Besides the 11 championships versus 0 count, there's one other fundamental difference between the Chargers and Clippers in regard to their "rivalries" with the Rams and Lakers respectively:

Unlike older original fans and even Gen X fans who remember going to or having the experience of their father/parents bringing them to Rams games at the Coliseum or the Big A, millenials have zero connection with the Rams due to their absence from LA for two decades. If (big if) they win, they can definitely become THE team in LA just as the Raiders predominantly took over the region during their 15 years at the Coliseum.
I agree. I have several friends who bought season tickets who have already greatly lost interest. Whoever wins will "own" the market.

One big difference between the NFL and NBA though, is the local TV contract. It's a much bigger advantage to be in a big market to get those local TV deals than it is in the NFL. I believe the NFL teams only get to sell their preseason TV rights. So they all essentially make the same revenue off of TV.
  #1776  
Old 02-13-2017, 06:40 PM
JimWest's Avatar
JimWest JimWest is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Besides the 11 championships versus 0 count, there's one other fundamental difference between the Chargers and Clippers in regard to their "rivalries" with the Rams and Lakers respectively:

Unlike older original fans and even Gen X fans who remember going to or having the experience of their father/parents bringing them to Rams games at the Coliseum or the Big A, millenials have zero connection with the Rams due to their absence from LA for two decades. If (big if) they win, they can definitely become THE team in LA just as the Raiders predominantly took over the region during their 15 years at the Coliseum.
That's true. However, unlike in San Diego, there is a LOT more fan dollar competition in LA. The Chargers don't need to merely be better than the Rams - UCLA and USC are big football draws and attractions as well. And that is ignoring all the other major sports that overlap the NFL season. Being 9-7 or 10-6, and going one-and-done in the playoffs won't generate much excitement either.

Another reason I strongly despise this move is that realistically the Chargers will not have much of a home field advantage. More transplants in LA metro than SD, and a smaller and less passionate overall fan base for them. There will be many, many opposing fans at their games. When the Raiders show up, it will be worse than the last game at the Q was.
  #1777  
Old 02-13-2017, 07:45 PM
JoeMcRugby's Avatar
JoeMcRugby JoeMcRugby is online now
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Rossmoor
Posts: 49,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWest View Post
That's true. However, unlike in San Diego, there is a LOT more fan dollar competition in LA. The Chargers don't need to merely be better than the Rams - UCLA and USC are big football draws and attractions as well. And that is ignoring all the other major sports that overlap the NFL season. Being 9-7 or 10-6, and going one-and-done in the playoffs won't generate much excitement either.

Another reason I strongly despise this move is that realistically the Chargers will not have much of a home field advantage. More transplants in LA metro than SD, and a smaller and less passionate overall fan base for them. There will be many, many opposing fans at their games. When the Raiders show up, it will be worse than the last game at the Q was.
It's unlikely for the first two seasons as there aren't going to be all that many seats available after season tickets are distributed. Then it will be a matter of which season ticket holders sell their seats to opposing fans. Season ticket sales plunged in 2016 after the Carson debacle, so that left unsold seats numbering in many thousands (probably in the tens of thousand) available for visiting fans to purchase before getting to the season ticket resales.

We'll see in 2019. Perhaps that will be true, but that depends mightily on what happens on the field in 2017 & 2018.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #1778  
Old 02-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Bigbirdsd's Avatar
Bigbirdsd Bigbirdsd is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Marcos
Posts: 1,385
Default Does anyone have the actual number...

Of yes votes Prop C received instead of the percentage?
__________________
Stay safe, stay low and have an Airborne day...
  #1779  
Old 02-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Bigbirdsd's Avatar
Bigbirdsd Bigbirdsd is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Marcos
Posts: 1,385
Default

I think I found it, it was 300 thousand no's and 211 thousand yes... So 211 thousand Charger fans isn't enough to stay? That's a lot of possible season ticket holders.
__________________
Stay safe, stay low and have an Airborne day...
  #1780  
Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 PM
JimWest's Avatar
JimWest JimWest is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirdsd View Post
I think I found it, it was 300 thousand no's and 211 thousand yes... So 211 thousand Charger fans isn't enough to stay? That's a lot of possible season ticket holders.
Ballotpedia is a good source for researching ballot measures and results. That site indicates there were approximately 544,000 votes cast on Measure C, Yes votes 237,587, No votes 306,887. This total represents only 39% of the city of San Diego's population.

It was also a city-only populace vote as well. SD city has about 1.4 million; SD county has 3.3 million. Those 1.9 million folks outside the city limits were not permitted to vote on Measure C. This basically indicates that it was hardly an accurate analysis, regarding the desire of the people of San Diego County for keeping the Chargers.

https://ballotpedia.org/San_Diego,_C...(November_2016)
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.


© 2017 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.