Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
Well, I don't think Cowher will ever be remembered for his high flying offenses.

However, Ben did have a career high of 8.9 yards per pass attempt in 2005. That is a pretty impressive number for any QB in fact. So impressive that it was the league leading number amongst all starting QB's that year. Not half bad for a game manger in the cuffs !

Was Pittsburgh's offense better than its defense that year ? Sure. Not exactly a rarity for Steelers football is it ? They had the #4 overall defense that year. Nowhere near as good as the #1 overall (without even a close second) 2008 defense was though. BTW- 2008 was the other year Ben won a SB ring, where apparently he played a bigger role.

Now, it's your turn to explain to us how he was more deserving of a ring in '08, than he was with a 6th seeded Wild Card team that won it all in '05. I'll wait...
Wrong. The defense was way better than the offense. (it doesn't take them long to screw up on here. Not long at all.)

As far as the not exactly a rarity part, historically you are correct. You go back the last 6 years, including right now, I think the offense has been better than the defense. They went into this year with the best offense on paper in the league. The secondary has sucked for years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Well, I don't think Cowher will ever be remembered for his high flying offenses.

However, Ben did have a career high of 8.9 yards per pass attempt in 2005. That is a pretty impressive number for any QB in fact. So impressive that it was the league leading number amongst all starting QB's that year. Not half bad for a game manger in the cuffs !

Was Pittsburgh's offense better than its defense that year ? Sure. Not exactly a rarity for Steelers football is it ? They had the #4 overall defense that year. Nowhere near as good as the #1 overall (without even a close second) 2008 defense was though. BTW- 2008 was the other year Ben won a SB ring, where apparently he played a bigger role.

Here is a comparison of the 2 Defensive units:

Total Yards per game
2005 - 284
2008 - 237.2

Points allowed per game
2005 - 16.1
2008 - 13.9

Passing yards allowed per game
2005 - 198

2008 - 156.9

Rushing yards allowed per game
2005 - 86
2008 - 80.2

INT's
2005 - 15
2008 - 20

Sacks
2005 - 47
2008 - 51

Opposing QB rating
2005 - 74.0
2008 - 63.4

So as you can see, the 2008 defensive unit was superior to the 2005 unit in every single way. With a much tougher schedule too.

So as for Ben's personal comparison between the 2 seasons:

Yards/Pass Attempt
2005 - 8.9 (career high)
2008 - 7.0 (career low)

Comp %
2005 - 62.7
2008 - 59.9 (2nd lowest of career)

Passing yards/game
2005 - 198.8
2008 - 206.3

TD passes/game
2005 - 1.42
2008 - 1.06 (Career low)

INT's/game
2005 - 0.75
2008 - 0.9375 (3rd highest of career)

QB Rating
2005 - 98.6
2008 - 80.1 (2nd lowest of career)

Now, it's your turn to explain to us how he was more deserving of a ring in '08, than he was with a 6th seeded Wild Card team that won it all in '05. I'll wait...
Cowher had the handcuffs on the young QB. 198 a game ? He only had 268 attempts that year. Run the ball, and play defense with a 23 year old QB. They had both Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis.

Big Ben was 30th in the league in 2005 in pass attempts.

Destroyed. I'm waiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:59 AM
<<< LA's finest football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Cowher had the handcuffs on the young QB. 198 a game ? He only had 268 attempts that year. Run the ball, and play defense with a 23 year old QB. They had both Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis.

Big Ben was 30th in the league in 2005 in pass attempts.

Destroyed. I'm waiting.
You must have missed the part where he missed 4 games to injury that year.

Playing 25% less games than most QB's may tend to drop one down the charts on pass attempt totals. At least I would think so. What are your thoughts on that ?

Also, what are your thoughts on game manager's leading the league in avg yards per pass attempt ? Is that a normal occurrence ?

Finally, yes 198.8 yards per game. Was does it convert to in miles, when figuring the difference between that year, and in 2008 (the year when he actually earned his ring) when he was throwing 7.5 more yards per game on average ?

How about TD passes. 17 in 12 games in 2005. And in 2008 over 16 games he had, wait for it........17 !

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...

Last edited by chopper31; 12-06-2016 at 04:34 AM..
Old 12-06-2016, 04:09 AM
<<< LA's finest football

BTW Freak, you never answered my actual question.

Why is it that he deserved his ring in '08 more so than '05 ?

Still waiting...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 AM
Power of 51

Quote:

Playing 25% less games than most QB's may tend to drop one down the charts on pass attempt totals. At least I would think so. What are your thoughts on that ?

Also, what are your thoughts on game manager's leading the league in avg yards per pass attempt ? Is that a normal occurrence ?

Finally, yes 198.8 yards per game. Was does it convert to in miles, when figuring the difference between that year, and in 2008 (the year when he actually earned his ring) when he was throwing 7.5 more yards per game on average ?

How about TD passes. 17 in 12 games in 2005. And in 2008 over 16 games he had, wait for it........17 !
Thanks. I was waiting for that. Missing 25% of his games is even less of a reason to deserve a ring.

Keep em coming though.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
BTW Freak, you never answered my actual question.

Why is it that he deserved his ring in '08 more so than '05 ?

Still waiting...
Your question is a farce because I never said he deserved one over the other. I happen to think the defense won both rings.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:23 AM
Power of 51

Quote:

30th in the league in pass attempts tells it all. 30th. That was 30th if you are behind. 30th.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:17 AM
<<< LA's finest football

Quote:
Thanks. I was waiting for that. Missing 25% of his games is even less of a reason to deserve a ring.

Keep em coming though.
Excellent point ! Overcoming injuries within the season should absolutely be a strike against one's credentials.

Not sure what I was thinking there Freak. Well done !

Old 12-06-2016, 09:23 AM
<<< LA's finest football

Quote:
Your question is a farce because I never said he deserved one over the other. I happen to think the defense won both rings.
Then you should have said that from the beginning, as opposed to singling out his "rookie year" as being the one it is hard to credit him for. When you mention 2, but single out 1, it strongly implies you are OK with the other.

I think most would agree that Ben was not the main reason for either title. But if we are gonna single out one as being more unworthy, I would easily go 2008, where they had to play 2 home playoff games to get to the SB. The first being against a Chargers team that went 8-8 in the regular season, and the second against a rookie Joe Flacco. For the cherry on top, they got to play the Cardinals in the SB. Is there a more cursed franchise than the Cardinals ???

In contrast, they were the #6 seed in 2005, meaning they had 3 road games to get to the SB. Including 1 in Donkver (one of the toughest places to win a road game).

In 2005 Ben had a top 5 defense to support him. In 2008 he had a defense that was damn near top 5 of the past 30 years. He was also a more efficient passer in 2005 than he was in 2008.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM
<<< LA's finest football

Quote:
30th in the league in pass attempts tells it all. 30th. That was 30th if you are behind. 30th.
If you change "it all" to "nothing", then you will have nailed it, with that first sentence.

Not once in my life have I ever heard of someone's SB ring bei g deemed invalid because of the number of pass attempts they had in the regular season. Not once.