Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you rate Mike Williams?
Excellent pick! I'm excited! 57 50.89%
Okay pick, but I'll wait and see. 38 33.93%
I don't like this pick at all! 4 3.57%
I like it, but bacon is better! 13 11.61%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts View Post
So yeah, if you did not see them trying to obviously force feed Gates the TE TD record, I dont know what to say to convince you.
I agree that they were forcing the ball to Gates in the red zone after all was lost for the 2016 season. However, Henry's concussion and knee injuries (join the 2016 club, Travis ) that occurred at midseason were unfortunate timing since Weeks 8-10 were the games when the season was in balance and Henry either wasn't available or was severely limited.

Henry needs to be the #1 TE target in 2018 without question - and I am confident that <<knocking on the wood that is my skull>> barring injury Henry will take several steps up the ladder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 05-19-2017 at 04:28 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
No problem. I'll stick with the honesty of trying to win games first because I find that perspective more appealing than hearsay to the contrary.

I like Henry and expect big things from him but don't believe it's fair to compare him to an all-time best TE just yet. He's younger & faster, has great hands but has a way to go on technique and probably never will have the same level of trust with Rivers. PR to Gates was just too good for too long. They see things with one mind when the game is on the line. If Lynn/Whiz have Gates in the lineup at the goalline, hopefully he will have told R&G to remember that EVERYONE on the field expects the throw to go to Gates. Use him as a decoy once in awhile.
Hearsay or not but as the season was going downhill and we did not have much to play for playoff wise, I just remember feeling like Gates was being overly targeted in the redzone last season. Its one thing if we call plays to help free him up, but its another thing when there are other guys who were open but didnt get a chance.

And no need to compare Henry to Gates. But to say he will never have the level of trust with Rivers, is that not comparing already? He has every bit of a chance to have River's complete trust. He has already shown he's capable so until he shows otherwise I do not see "trust" being a problem at all. Henry will continue to grow and as that happens he will get his targets and chances in the Redzone. I just dont want Gates or anyone for that matter to be "forced fed" targets to inflate their stats.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
I agree that they were forcing the ball to Gates in the red zone after all was lost for the 2016 season. However, Henry's concussion and knee injuries (join the 2017 club, Travis ) that occurred at midseason were unfortunate timing since Weeks 8-10 were the games when the season was in balance and Henry either wasn't available or was severely limited.

Henry needs to be the #1 TE target in 2018 without question - and I am confident that <<knocking on the wood that is my skull>> barring injury Henry will take several steps up the ladder.
I'm expecting that as well. Henry may not be Gates in the future, but he can be really good in his own right. One thing that really stands out to me is Henry is a darn good blocker and that can add an extra dimension to our offense.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Hearsay or not but as the season was going downhill and we did not have much to play for playoff wise, I just remember feeling like Gates was being overly targeted in the redzone last season. Its one thing if we call plays to help free him up, but its another thing when there are other guys who were open but didnt get a chance.

And no need to compare Henry to Gates. But to say he will never have the level of trust with Rivers, is that not comparing already? He has every bit of a chance to have River's complete trust.
He has already shown he's capable so until he shows otherwise I do not see "trust" being a problem at all. Henry will continue to grow and as that happens he will get his targets and chances in the Redzone. I just dont want Gates or anyone for that matter to be "forced fed" targets to inflate their stats.
Rivers and Gates are a best ever QB/TE duo. Rivers is drawing close to his career's end. At one time R&G were nearly undefendable. They were special. The connection they had is unlikely to be replicated.
I don't mean to dis Henry, I like him a lot. I'm sure PR likes & trusts him also. Is he Gates? Nope. It would be nice if he can reach the level of Gates in the R to TE connection but that takes a lot of reps. Antonio has a way of creating a receiving box in a small area that was almost unbeatable and PR learned to hit it. Henry was not that guy last year but hopefully can develop that skill at the master's knee. HH obviously brings youth, athleticism, great hands & work ethic to his position. I wish him luck. Gates' career is nearing the end.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Hall of Famer

I love Gates. Future Hall of Famer. It's not going towards the end of his career
rather it is the end based on the law of diminishing returns. He's only playing for the touch down record which is not a team goal.

I think Henry can continue to benefit from Gates veteran leadership but he is capable of taking most of snaps even in red zone situations. As mentioned, he is capable of blocking in double tight end sets.

Not sure what Gates has left in the tank given it was he that requested less reps this time last season. Great team player giving permission for staff to let the young guns play. Time to make the transition now if the Chargers want to win games this season.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 PM
First member of the board

The Chargers already have a TE in the HOF. No doubt Gates will one day be joining Winslow at the HOF. They are two different types of players but they are both great. I see Henry as the same type of TE Winslow was ....... not the same type that Gates is. I can't say I think Gates is the best TE the Bolts ever had - I remember too many great catches and many yards after the catch from Winslow. I think both had great value to the team during their careers.

I think Henry has a chance to be another great TE, not saying another HOF one but, who knows? Time will tell on that.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Embrace the change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
The Chargers already have a TE in the HOF. No doubt Gates will one day be joining Winslow at the HOF. They are two different types of players but they are both great. I see Henry as the same type of TE Winslow was ....... not the same type that Gates is. I can't say I think Gates is the best TE the Bolts ever had - I remember too many great catches and many yards after the catch from Winslow. I think both had great value to the team during their careers.

I think Henry has a chance to be another great TE, not saying another HOF one but, who knows? Time will tell on that.
I see Jason Witten when I watch Henry. Both are incredible blockers and both are very fluid and easy moving while running routes.

If he can live up to that comp, we just may have a 3rd HOF TE.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Rivers and Gates are a best ever QB/TE duo. Rivers is drawing close to his career's end. At one time R&G were nearly undefendable. They were special. The connection they had is unlikely to be replicated.
I don't mean to dis Henry, I like him a lot. I'm sure PR likes & trusts him also. Is he Gates? Nope. It would be nice if he can reach the level of Gates in the R to TE connection but that takes a lot of reps. Antonio has a way of creating a receiving box in a small area that was almost unbeatable and PR learned to hit it. Henry was not that guy last year but hopefully can develop that skill at the master's knee. HH obviously brings youth, athleticism, great hands & work ethic to his position. I wish him luck. Gates' career is nearing the end.
My point is this Henry has every chance to gain Rivers complete trust. Meaning that when it comes down to it Rivers will not hesitate to throw him the ball.

He may not have the connection of Gates and Rivers. Also Henry may not be as good as Gates when it comes to being a receiving TE, but as of right now. Henry is the better player than Gates. He needs to be on the field more than Gates, he brings more to the table right now i their respective careers.

One thing that Henry has that Gates doesn't, is the ability to be a darn good blocker consistently. It opens up new wrinkles and ways to use Henry/the rest of the offense. The reason why any of this got mentioned was because I had mentioned that we need to stop force feeding Gates. It does not help the team and it didn't bring us more wins last year. And I'll leave it at that.

Let's get back to talking about Mike Williams now.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
My point is this Henry has every chance to gain Rivers complete trust. Meaning that when it comes down to it Rivers will not hesitate to throw him the ball.

He may not have the connection of Gates and Rivers. Also Henry may not be as good as Gates when it comes to being a receiving TE, but as of right now. Henry is the better player than Gates. He needs to be on the field more than Gates, he brings more to the table right now i their respective careers.

One thing that Henry has that Gates doesn't, is the ability to be a darn good blocker consistently. It opens up new wrinkles and ways to use Henry/the rest of the offense. The reason why any of this got mentioned was because I had mentioned that we need to stop force feeding Gates. It does not help the team and it didn't bring us more wins last year. And I'll leave it at that.

Let's get back to talking about Mike Williams now.
OK. I like Mike.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
OK. I like Mike.
lol didn't wanna keep talking about Henry vs Gates on Mike Williams thread hahaha. But we definitely have a good problem with all the options we have.