Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2017, 08:04 AM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teutonbolt View Post
Yeah, the biggest issue is normally when we lost we had about 10 advantage going into the 3rd then the offensive meltdown occurred and our guys started getting really exhausted. How many 3 and out were there or drives that lasted less than 2 mins in the 2nd half of the Lost games?
KC: 5/7
Ind: 3/6 with 2 Fumbles (This one I could agree that we didn't play like we should have, we learned later on that JV was playing on a season ending injury and hindered him the whole game.)
NO: 2 3 and outs, a 1 punt after a first down,2 Fumbles and 1 INT/7
OAK: 1 3 and out and 1 Fumble/5 (Here I can give it to you that it was a collective meltdown)
2nd DEN: 3/5 2 being INTs. of those the D recovered a Fumble that caused a TD, they also had a pick 6.
MIA: 5/7 one INT was a 4 min drive so I see this more like 4/7
TB: 4/5
CAR:5/6
2nd OAK: 4/5
CLE: 4/6
2nd KC: This one is better seen for the whole game of 7 chargers possesions 1 was a punt return for TD, 2 were INTs and the other resulted in pts.

So averaging more than 50% in 3 and outs in the second half. WILL tire a defense down.
I would be interested to know how many of those 2nd half drives resulted in the opponent scoring? I would assume it was pretty high... but I see your point and I think you see mine... the % blame is actually not that important... In the end there is enough of it to go around. The O needs to be able to hang onto the ball and sustain drives in the 2nd half and the defense needs to be able to hold the opponent from scoring.

This team has been snakebit for the past two seasons... I think a lot of it is mental. Hopefully Lynn can help to change the culture/mentality... because I think we have the talent to make a playoff run... especially if we can finally stay healthy.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
I would be interested to know how many of those 2nd half drives resulted in the opponent scoring? I would assume it was pretty high... but I see your point and I think you see mine... the % blame is actually not that important... In the end there is enough of it to go around. The O needs to be able to hang onto the ball and sustain drives in the 2nd half and the defense needs to be able to hold the opponent from scoring.

This team has been snakebit for the past two seasons... I think a lot of it is mental. Hopefully Lynn can help to change the culture/mentality... because I think we have the talent to make a playoff run... especially if we can finally stay healthy.
I agree on most of your pts, but have to disagree with your conclusion. About 70% of the pts scored against the Chargers in the second half came from a short field position. They also on multiple times had turnovers which resulted in a punt even on the opponent's side of the field. If this team gets someone like Hooker or Adams who could erase the enemy TEs or RBs on third down and get our offense back on track on the second half, they could win the division and even make a deep playoff run IMHO
3.- Godwin WR
4.- Kittle TE
5.- Rivers OLB
6.- Dobbs QB
Old 02-18-2017, 01:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teutonbolt View Post
I agree on most of your pts, but have to disagree with your conclusion. About 70% of the pts scored against the Chargers in the second half came from a short field position. They also on multiple times had turnovers which resulted in a punt even on the opponent's side of the field. If this team gets someone like Hooker or Adams who could erase the enemy TEs or RBs on third down and get our offense back on track on the second half, they could win the division and even make a deep playoff run IMHO
Nice. Now we're relying on a safety to get our offense back on track... is he gonna block, too?

Wow, the answer is so obvious...
Old 02-18-2017, 05:30 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Nice. Now we're relying on a safety to get our offense back on track... is he gonna block, too?

We need to get both, the offense back in track and a coverage safety, cmon! I said AND not thus or something like that...
3.- Godwin WR
4.- Kittle TE
5.- Rivers OLB
6.- Dobbs QB
Old 02-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post

A lot of those third down conversions killed us, and a good, fast safety will pick the rock away, or pass defense a lot of those potential conversions. I lobbied hard for a defensive end to beef up our pass rush last year instead of a safety. This year, we need to address safety, along with WR and O-line. Budda Baker would be good value in round 2.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:51 PM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
A lot of those third down conversions killed us, and a good, fast safety will pick the rock away, or pass defense a lot of those potential conversions. I lobbied hard for a defensive end to beef up our pass rush last year instead of a safety. This year, we need to address safety, along with WR and O-line. Budda Baker would be good value in round 2.
Getting an above average safety on our defense would be like a team with an average one upgrading to an elite. Unfortunately we have other needs on D... especially if Ingram leaves. Further, OL and to a lesser extent WR are needs on the other side of the ball. IMO, we need Starters at all of these these positions this offseason.... and IMO, one of these upgrades needs to be elite. The 1st Round gives us the best chance at the elite... but trading down for additional picks would give us more chances at hitting that blue chip player.

Regarding the OL in particular... I think the FO should consider upgrading thru FA again:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...is-years-class

Slauson is really the only above average player on our OL squad... TT hit on that one but missed on the others. Obviously we need to use the draft to build an elite OL long term... but I really think the addition of one more above average OL would really mask the average to below average of the rest. Perhaps we hit in the draft and get another Starter? Perhaps a younger player like Tuerk actually comes into his own... allowing Slauson to slide back over to OG? A lot of unknown... but it is clear that PR and this offense will never reach their potential until they have an above average OL.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
Getting an above average safety on our defense would be like a team with an average one upgrading to an elite. Unfortunately we have other needs on D... especially if Ingram leaves. Further, OL and to a lesser extent WR are needs on the other side of the ball. IMO, we need Starters at all of these these positions this offseason.... and IMO, one of these upgrades needs to be elite. The 1st Round gives us the best chance at the elite... but trading down for additional picks would give us more chances at hitting that blue chip player.

Regarding the OL in particular... I think the FO should consider upgrading thru FA again:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...is-years-class

Slauson is really the only above average player on our OL squad... TT hit on that one but missed on the others. Obviously we need to use the draft to build an elite OL long term... but I really think the addition of one more above average OL would really mask the average to below average of the rest. Perhaps we hit in the draft and get another Starter? Perhaps a younger player like Tuerk actually comes into his own... allowing Slauson to slide back over to OG? A lot of unknown... but it is clear that PR and this offense will never reach their potential until they have an above average OL.

Grab the best talent you can in rounds 1-3, regardless of position.

Then get young with the OL guys, coach them up, get them ingrained with the Slauson mentality...and go give it the best you can. It simply cannot get much worse than losing 11 games....so throw the trash out and go for it with new guys.

GO BOLTS !
Old 02-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Grab the best talent you can in rounds 1-3, regardless of position.

Then get young with the OL guys, coach them up, get them ingrained with the Slauson mentality...and go give it the best you can. It simply cannot get much worse than losing 11 games....so throw the trash out and go for it with new guys.
Look what happened when oakland lost their qb in the playoffs...we are actually better off drafting higher in that circumstance than even oakland with a winning record. I do think we might need to invest in a qb somewhere in rounds 2-3. I can see us doing worse if rivers went down for a half season....
Old 02-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzubeck View Post
Look what happened when oakland lost their qb in the playoffs...we are actually better off drafting higher in that circumstance than even oakland with a winning record. I do think we might need to invest in a qb somewhere in rounds 2-3. I can see us doing worse if rivers went down for a half season....
So, lose them all and draft 1st.....each round.

GO BOLTS !
Old 02-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
So, lose them all and draft 1st.....each round.
Clevelands been doing that almost year in and year out...Now they have two first round picks inside the top 15 and maybe they'll move up to grab another superstar. At some point cleveland should start to do better just like oakland....