Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Smack Shack
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where will the San Diego Chargers finish this year?
AFC WEST CHAMPIONS!! 24 58.54%
AFC WEST CHAMPIONS!! 13 31.71%
AFC WEST CHAMPIONS!! 10 24.39%
AFC WEST CHAMPIONS!! 11 26.83%
AFC WEST CHAMPIONS!! 12 29.27%
AFC WEST CHAMPIONS!! 15 36.59%
AFC WEST CHAMPIONS!! 14 34.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default A lot longer than the 38-year-old Manning's ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
so we aren't trying to win a superbowl with Rivers? Whats his window?
Probably in the vicinity of 6-8 years with the 32-year-old Rivers.

The difference is that the Chargers don't need to perform a desperation "All in" move in free agency that has never once worked since the advent of the salary cap. As the Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Packers, et al. have demonstrated, you don't need to go "all in" in free agency to win a ring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 03-19-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Old 03-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Probably in the vicinity of 6-8 years with the 32-year-old Rivers.

The difference is that the Chargers don't need to perform a desperation "All in" move in free agency that has never once worked since the advent of the salary cap. As the Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Packers, et al. have demonstrated, you don't need to go "all in" in free agency to win a ring.
I'm actually a big Rivers defender among Bronco fans. I just always wish we had that kinda guy "before our 2012 and 2013 seasons obviously".

I think he can ball. But for another 6-8 years? I'm not arguing.. in my opinion is at his peak right about now. He desperately needs his team to meet him half way. But I'd only put a 3-4 year label on that. 5 Being the most. But again that's just me.

As a fan of Football I definitely would like him to be around another 6-8 years.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
so we aren't trying to win a superbowl with Rivers? Whats his window?
Rivers is younger than P. Manning, I think by 3 years or more. Easily verifiable.

So theorically we would have a larger window.

OK it's actually closer to 6 years. So take that. No guarantees PR will be as good as Manning is as a 38 year old, but I'd say our window with PR is greater than Denver's with Manning.

Last edited by charger1_sj; 03-20-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 03:25 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Mike View Post
I'm actually a big Rivers defender among Bronco fans. I just always wish we had that kinda guy "before our 2012 and 2013 seasons obviously".

I think he can ball. But for another 6-8 years? I'm not arguing.. in my opinion is at his peak right about now. He desperately needs his team to meet him half way. But I'd only put a 3-4 year label on that. 5 Being the most. But again that's just me.

As a fan of Football I definitely would like him to be around another 6-8 years.
I actually agree with this. That said, I am looking at the Chargers as requiring another season of rebuilding before being ready to legitimately challenge for a Lombardi. We're not to the point where one or two free agents will put us in contention talent-wise with the elite in the NFL.

Two more drafts and one period of free agency where we're not handcuffed by the cap, and we should be okay. The difference between the Chargers and Broncos right now is this; they are in the upper-echelon of talent, especially on offense, right now, and if they get into cap trouble, Manning's retirement will cure their cap woes. Unlike the Broncos, the Chargers have a lot of holes and already have a large chunk of dead cap space. If they aren't careful, they'll find themselves in cap hell for the remainder of Rivers term. The Donks already know that Peyton is 1-2 years and then done. Once he's done, their cap problems disappear, and even if they don't, it's much easier to work around cap problems when you're rebuilding than it is when you're trying to contend.

I think both the Broncos and the Chargers are approaching this correctly. Given some luck with injuries, we should be pretty good this year, good enough to make another playoff push at least and, if the chips fall our way, good enough to contend. After this year, our cap problems vanish. We'll be coming off a decent two years of rebuilding and be healthy under the cap to pursue difference makers in free agency and retain our own good players. Because we'll have had two TT drafts with a third coming, we can focus on getting those one or two key guys to fill holes in free agency. If TT makes mistakes on overpriced vets, we could find ourselves having to let good players walk or continually finding ourselves in the same position as we are this offseason.

We're in a position to steadily improve year after year. Rivers is young enough for us to reload for another year, get young guys experience, and make another 3 or 4 year run as an upper echelon roster. The only thing that could compromise that is terrible drafting or poor cap management.

Last edited by Thunderstruck; 03-20-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
I actually agree with this. That said, I am looking at the Chargers as requiring another season of rebuilding before being ready to legitimately challenge for a Lombardi. We're not to the point where one or two free agents will put us in contention talent-wise with the elite in the NFL.

Two more drafts and one period of free agency where we're not handcuffed by the cap, and we should be okay. The difference between the Chargers and Broncos right now is this; they are in the upper-echelon of talent, especially on offense, right now, and if they get into cap trouble, Manning's retirement will cure their cap woes. Unlike the Broncos, the Chargers have a lot of holes and already have a large chunk of dead cap space. If they aren't careful, they'll find themselves in cap hell for the remainder of Rivers term. The Donks already know that Peyton is 1-2 years and then done. Once he's done, their cap problems disappear, and even if they don't, it's much easier to work around cap problems when you're rebuilding than it is when you're trying to contend.

I think both the Broncos and the Chargers are approaching this correctly. Given some luck with injuries, we should be pretty good this year, good enough to make another playoff push at least and, if the chips fall our way, good enough to contend. After this year, our cap problems vanish. We'll be coming off a decent two years of rebuilding and be healthy under the cap to pursue difference makers in free agency and retain our own good players. Because we'll have had two TT drafts with a third coming, we can focus on getting those one or two key guys to fill holes in free agency. If TT makes mistakes on overpriced vets, we could find ourselves having to let good players walk or continually finding ourselves in the same position as we are this offseason.

We're in a position to steadily improve year after year. Rivers is young enough for us to reload for another year, get young guys experience, and make another 3 or 4 year run as an upper echelon roster. The only thing that could compromise that is terrible drafting or poor cap management.

My thoughts on 3 of your comments (bolded)

1- SD not only made the playoffs. They came out with a playoff win and made it to the Divisional rd. How you got there doesn't matter in the course of history. The AFC is not as tough as it was back in the day. Plus you guys had to practically start from scratch with the McCoy hiring. Having this second off season under their belts should help tremendously. I'd genuinely expect SD to play a lot better this year at the start of the season

2- Upper echelon talent didn't do us jack against our losses to Indy, NE, and SD. (And yes.. Seattle. Happy now?). Rivers is an upper echelon QB. (For how long, I can't say). I mean lets face it, your D is not the Seattle D, but they still blew us out and their O wasn't half the O yours is. Football is a funny game sometimes.

3- Kinda ties into my first point. I think SD is better than the Steelers, Jets, Bengals, Chiefs, and maybe even the Colts. I've said it before. As long as you have Rivers. You have a fighting chance. And like I also said above, a second offseason will help out tremendously. A lot of your fans (granted who had to endure the heartbreak) are a lot harder on SD than deserved.

IMO

Closed Thread