Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Can't wait for the entire GoT series to show up tomorrow. Don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen the show but the truth about Jon Snow is

I've heard the shows to zero justice to how good the books are so if that's truly the case, the books shall be amazing
you already said too much jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Jester View Post
I haven't read the books, but friends who have read them state that there are many changes: missing characters, events, merged storylines... The show veers away from the books to a greater degree in the later seasons and parts of the 6th season are ahead of the books.

Haven't heard them say the show does zero justice to the books. There are complaints, but more than a few have said Benioff amd Weiss have done a fine job adapting Martins work into a solid TV series.
book people always say that. when you read you can imagine crazy things. TV producers cannot capture everyone's imagination. i get that. Readers should watch the show as, let's see this person's take on this, instead of let's see this book on TV.

Quote:
Read an interesting fact somewhere, I'll try and find it. When Beioff and Weiss were asking for the rights to the books to create the show, half way through the pitch they were asked who Jon Snows mother was. If they got it right, the rights were theirs. If they got it wrong, they did not get the approval for the show.

Luckily for all us fans, they got the answer right
you know how those "meetings" went down... amount of substance, alcohol, etc... hollywood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
Sorry I never got back to this.

Like with most things the books are definitely better than the shows. The level of granularity that he writes with is amazing. I appreciate that you can't tell what is organic and what is architecture in his stories, so you're always second guessing where a characters arc is going and if there is a greater plan.

And while I would generally recommend the books bc they are very good, my only caution would be that you need to be committed bc they are long. Each season is roughly equivalent to one book in the series... Meaning 10 hours of show time is made up of +/- 1000 pages of book material.
thanks for the heads up. maybe when i finish LongTimeOCBolts' "how to overcome ADD and finish a book" book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Learn to THINK

DTM -- check PM's.

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.” Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2016, 03:37 PM
When all else fails

Just got my GoT books in the mail. Man, looks like 5 books of "It" when comparing in size. I got a lot of reading to do
Old 08-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Just got my GoT books in the mail. Man, looks like 5 books of "It" when comparing in size. I got a lot of reading to do

Old 08-17-2016, 08:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
DTM -- check PM's.
responded. sorry brother

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm View Post
responded. sorry brother
No worries.

Next time.

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.” Thomas Sowell
Old 09-24-2016, 06:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
If you have the time then I definitely recommend it. The books are just so much deeper than the show.
That's the problem. Many of the folks who read the books, did so over a matter of years. Shoot, I read book one in 2001. It's hard for many to catch up, so to speak, since the show is easily accessible and the books are a huge time investment. Add to the fact that the show is now further into the story than the books, and you have people who love GoT but will never experience the glory of A Song of Ice and Fire.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Final Fantasy XIV lover!

Reading right now:
Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 PM
Rookie

I highly recommend this book: It's called "The Charisma Myth"

It teaches you how to change your mindset and actions to channel traits that are typically perceived by other people as "charismatic".

Apparently the author used these lessons on high profile people like Marissa Mayer, the CEO of Yahoo.

Oh, and I'm also reading guides on how to get out of the friend zone in conjunction with this useful book.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Los Angeles Super Chargers!