Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWest View Post
One of the comments from that article:

"Well established, liked teams don’t need to say anything like that since their fans actually want to go to the game. The fact the Chargers said it tells you a lot about the state of the team and their fans. You think they had few fans in San Diego, that will seem like a ton compared to LA."

This is very accurate. Spanos claimed 25% of his fan base is in the huge LA market, so why is he concerned with fans selling off tickets. Yes, they are giving the abandoned San Diego fans a chance to hold on to their seasons (what a guy), but he knows keenly that the majority of them are not interested in that long trip and its extra costs. Let alone how they feel about the move in general.

He also does not want the tickets sold to opposing fans, to witness the embarrassment of 50% or more of that bandbox being occupied by that team's fans.
People who buy tickets have the right to do with them as they wish, just like Stub Hub itself, which sells to the secondary market.
To be clear, the bolded is not in the article (at least the one linked). That sounds like a comment from someone that read the article. That doesn't make your opinion any less valid. I agree that it does say something about what the Chargers think will happen (backed by market research I would imagine) when games are a sell out.

I think a lot of the season ticket buyers are simply buying them now to reserve an option at Inglewood. All of those who buy now will be "current" season ticket holders when Inglewood opens and will have the pick of premium seats. They may actually go to a few Stubby games for the novelty but once that wears off they might try to sell the rest.

I'm sure they will figure out a way to sell them despite the policy against.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Fabio View Post
\

Thats awesome, I'm not from the area at all or have been, born in Sacramento moved to alaska as a child. I wonder how many other awesome long time charger fans like you are living in LA and can now attend.
Relatively few... for now, I think. If they win, which I hope they will for the player's sakes, they will have more.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
To be clear, the bolded is not in the article (at least the one linked). That sounds like a comment from someone that read the article. That doesn't make your opinion any less valid. I agree that it does say something about what the Chargers think will happen (backed by market research I would imagine) when games are a sell out.

I think a lot of the season ticket buyers are simply buying them now to reserve an option at Inglewood. All of those who buy now will be "current" season ticket holders when Inglewood opens and will have the pick of premium seats. They may actually go to a few Stubby games for the novelty but once that wears off they might try to sell the rest.

I'm sure they will figure out a way to sell them despite the policy against.
Perry, thanks for the correction. I should have written comments to the article, rather than from the article. It was in fact a comment a reader of the article had given.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Hall of Famer

On occasion FAs pick one team over another based on coach or location. We have rarely to never been that team of preference. With the move up to LA, two factors may come about:

-Players may want to play in the bigger market, closer to their home, or home school like USC

-Lynn seems like more of a players coach and will build rapport. That may attract players as well.

You see it in Seattle and Pitt especially. Guys want to play for Tomlin and Carroll and they sometimes take a cut for it or choose that team if a similar deal is offered on both sides. Lotta talent comes outta USC and so-cal. I think these players will want to be a part of that.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Forever San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobrett View Post
On occasion FAs pick one team over another based on coach or location. We have rarely to never been that team of preference. With the move up to LA, two factors may come about:

-Players may want to play in the bigger market, closer to their home, or home school like USC

-Lynn seems like more of a players coach and will build rapport. That may attract players as well.

You see it in Seattle and Pitt especially. Guys want to play for Tomlin and Carroll and they sometimes take a cut for it or choose that team if a similar deal is offered on both sides. Lotta talent comes outta USC and so-cal. I think these players will want to be a part of that.
Ownership and management might be a dark cloud over those positives... Chargers brass doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation with free agents or (as of late) draft picks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
Ownership and management might be a dark cloud over those positives... Chargers brass doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation with free agents or (as of late) draft picks.
Very true indeed, and sadly nothing can be done about that.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:41 AM
Rookie

Answering the thread question... I'm more excited than I can remember for awhile and I have been optimistic regularly and then completely deflated, destroyed, demoralised and left head-shakingly despondent year after year for the great majority of my decades supporting the Chargers, admittedly. So, given I'm always optimistic, let's say I'm even more optimistic. Which is kind of a nice way to be in life I think, sledgehammered relentlessly but still at heart hopeful.

I feel the team is poised to really do something positive on-field, this time!

I support from afar and have for decades so my attachment to US cities is not the factor in my support, more the name Chargers, the colors and the history of players, the tapestry of this team and myself watching them faithfully. I do feel tremendously for those hurt in San Diego, a truly great city which I've visited and enjoyed immensely. I can't tell you how to feel, but I hope there's brighter days ahead whichever way you find them.