Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2017, 09:48 AM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
lol another 'promising' late pick and dumpster prospect. I'm going out on a limb and say he's not the answer.
Do you remember Dielman - a UDFA that became an all-pro? You never know until they play.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:51 AM
First member of the board

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
Just find a guy with a really really really big butt who can run block.
Thanks for the laugh!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Goff was my favorite Chargers pulling OG in recent years. Dielman my fav drive blocker. Tough, aggressive, play to the whistle+ guys who move well are high on my list.
Lynn talks about a variety of looks in the run game. I hope he gets that going.
I would imagine with Lynn's background in the running game, he has a general idea of what kind of lineman he wants. I'm going to be most interested to see where Tuerk fits in and if Slauson stays at center. Common sense would say yes, but this is a new HC & offensive line coach so they may see him as a guard.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
I would imagine with Lynn's background in the running game, he has a general idea of what kind of lineman he wants. I'm going to be most interested to see where Tuerk fits in and if Slauson stays at center. Common sense would say yes, but this is a new HC & offensive line coach so they may see him as a guard.
If Tuerk is any good I think we have to move Slauson back to G. We know he can play there and we need the help. Fluker and Franklin are paid a lot and producing a little. Tuerk playing well would help our line a lot.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
Do you remember Dielman - a UDFA that became an all-pro? You never know until they play.
sure, keep waiting for another Diehlman. In the meantime keep drafting QBs in the 6th round in 300 years you'll get another Tom Brady too.
1. Reuben Foster (get a top 5 player without a top 5 pick. Foster will be an absolute monster in the pros). Never enough LBs in the NFL and guys like#51 dont belong in the starting lineup.
2. OL
3. Brad Kaaya (time to look forward to a new era at QB)
4. Joe Mixon RB (talented back who'll drop for off field altercation 2 years ago).
Old 02-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
lol another 'promising' late pick and dumpster prospect. I'm going out on a limb and say he's not the answer.
Sometimes late round picks work out... most of the time they don't. I'm going out on a limb also and I'm predicting that Donovan Clark is not the answer. It has nothing to do with his draft position, but rather with the fact that I just wasn't very impressed with him as a college football player.

While other undrafted linemen (David Andrews) stood out when I saw them play in college. For whatever reason, they went undrafted...

There are a couple of O-linemen that I think will be available in the later rounds. I like Danny Isadora (Miami). I also like a couple OT's that I think will make good NFL OG's... Dan Skipper (Arkansas) and Greg Pyke (Georgia). Unfortunately, I think the OT class is really thin. After the 1st round, I don't see any that will become good NFL OT's. I think Dion Dawkins will be an OG in the NFL. The only OT that gives me pause, post-1st round, is Antonio Garcia... but he will need to get stronger, and it's real hard to judge considering he played against lesser competition.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
You mean Dielman, who was drafted as a DT and was destined to be cut before they tried him at OG...? File Dielman and Slausson under "Dumb Luck". I'd rather scout good talent and draft it... rather than hope for dumb-luck. Dumb-luck often ends up being dumb-money and cap space hell... see Orlando Franklin, Jared Gaither, Joe Barksdale...
Old 02-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
You mean Dielman, who was drafted as a DT and was destined to be cut before they tried him at OG...? File Dielman and Slausson under "Dumb Luck". I'd rather scout good talent and draft it... rather than hope for dumb-luck. Dumb-luck often ends up being dumb-money and cap space hell... see Orlando Franklin, Jared Gaither, Joe Barksdale...
That would be the Kris Dielman who was a TE at Indiana before switching to defensive line when the head coach was a guy named Cam Cameron, correct? It's a bit beyond "dumb luck" when you are talking about Dielman.

Quote:
He was forced to keep changing positions during his college and pro careers before he found a home at left guard. Luckily for Dielman, he had a guardian angel in Cam Cameron, the Chargers offensive coordinator and former Indiana coach.

“I was very fortunate that he was in San Diego,” Dielman said. “With him being my head coach in college, he knew I could play. He presented the opportunity, and I had to take it from there.”

Cameron, the Hoosiers’ boss from 1997-2001, recruited Dielman to IU as a tight end. After Cameron’s departure, Dielman spent his 2002 senior year as a defensive tackle, logging five sacks and 14 tackles for loss, and being voted Most Valuable Player by his teammates.

Cameron recruited Dielman again, this time to San Diego, where he signed on May 2, 2003, as a non-drafted free agent. Waived during training camp on Aug. 26, Dielman joined the practice squad a week later. He was in for quite a surprise.

Walking down the hallway toward the defensive linemen’s meeting room, Dielman felt a tug. It was head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

“Marty gave me a playbook and told me, ‘No, you go with the offense linemen; you’re a guard now,’ ” Dielman said. “That’s how I was told. It surprised the heck out of me. I didn’t have any idea.

“To be honest, it sucked to keep changing positions. At Indiana, I wasn’t too keen about it. When I got up here, they switched me back over to offense. I didn’t have much to say about it. There were growing pains, but I’ve been fortunate to have some really good coaches, teaching me how to play offensive line, fixing some (technique) and letting me go out and play.”

http://www.middletownjournal.com/spo...11dielman.html

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Hall of Famer

But they drafted him as a DT... one that got waived. Again, not great planning. Dumb-luck.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
But they drafted him as a DT... one that got waived. Again, not great planning. Dumb-luck.
They didn't draft him, they recruited him as an undrafted free agent. They brought him in as a football player, first trying him out at DT, then moving him to the oline (the reverse of what happened in college) after they signed him to the practice squad.

That's what you sometimes try with developmental players who don't quite fit a mold. Cam Cameron knew that Dielman was a football player, and that's why the Chargers put time and effort into his development.

Quote:
The Chargers signed him as a free agent on the advice of then-offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, who had been Dielman's head coach at Indiana.

"Kris was just a free-agent tough guy," Smith said.

"No expectations at all except to bring in a tough hard-nosed football player. The rest is history, and it's an incredible story."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...g08-story.html
Can you count on it happening? Of course not, but "dumb luck" is not my description of his signing and development. In bringing in hard-nosed football players as undrafted free agents since the days of John Butler as GM, the Chargers success rate with them goes far beyond dumb luck being the common factor when it happens over and over again.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.