Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 02:04 PM
more mojo please

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Resigning Andre Williams should.

I see ten TEs, but both McGrath and Cleveland were resigned, and Gates did not retire.

Call it"tendered", but the intention is there, knowing the population in this draft.
ahh yes, I forgot about the future HOFer Andre Williams

we WERE considering drafting LF at 7 despite having a workhorse back in MG3, despite other talented prospects with positions of greater need, even with all that given, we WERE giving serious consideration to using our top 7 pick on someone we obviously think is too good to pass up...

but fortunately, we were successfully able swindle Andre Williams into a vet minimum contract, lucky for us, dude doesn't even know his worth!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 of 500
SD Native, LA Charger Loyalist

007. Malik Hooker FS Ohio St.
038, Malik McDowell DL Michigan St.
071. Antonio Garcia OT Troy
113. Buckey Hodges TE Virginia Tech
151. Julie'n Davenport OT Bucknell
190. Corey Levin OG Chattanooga
225. Samson Ebukam DE Eastern Washington
Old 03-15-2017, 02:05 PM
Sometimes the truth hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgold View Post
IF Lynn is a RB guru sort coach and Leonard Fournette is in fact a generational sort of RB and is fortunate enough to be there at #7 do you have to at least consider drafting him? The Oline to me already seems to be getting better.. The draft and waiver wire could also do a lot to improve the Oline as well?
Why am I not surprised that people are still balking at this truly ridiculous idea?
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgold View Post
But wait I thought the modern day NFL was of the mind set you need 2 RB's in your system, and excuse me but based on MG's pro career so far he doesn't seem to be the most durable sort RB, if you catch my drift? What good is MG going to be if he's all beat up at seasons end again and the Chargers make the PO's, and they're without a RB?
And judging by Fournettes's college career, he doesn't seem to be the most durable sort of RB either, if you catch my drift.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Agreed. Not all offensive lines are built like Dallas has done with multiple 1st round picks. Usually good lines are developed with good coaching. The Patriots only have one 1st round pick on their OL.

The Chargers have a top 10 pick in Okung, a gritty vet in Slauson, a couple players who have played well at times in Franklin & Barksdale & then guys who are currently unknowns in Tuerk, Pulley, Clark, Burwell, Boyko & Johnstone.

To discount any of the young players on the roster as future starters is foolish. Plenty of players develop into starters who were drafted late or not at all. Being an unknown isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean you can't be counted on. Every player in an unknown until they get out there and show their worth.

It really is pointless to judge the line until it is completely built and debuted in the preseason. New coaches, new players, new blocking schemes. There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic it won't be the same underachieving line if the past several seasons.
Not sure why his draft spot is being brought up since it has zero to do with anything pertaining to actual talent. Okung has proven by his play thus far to be a mediocre LT at best and is basically a lateral move from Dunlap.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYourBolts View Post
He actually played OT & OG in addition to OC @ USC. And yes, there are plenty of posts in regards to it, except in my opinion none of them hold any validity.

Go ahead and name the terms of the bet you are going to lose.
Your opinion is as valid as any on the CMB. I wouldn't rank you over the paid draft analysts & coaches. We know the analysts and the Chargers GM & scouts hold Tuerk in relatively high esteem as an NFL C prospect. It remains to be seen what the Chargers coaching staff think when OTAs, mini camp and TC get going. We can be sure Tuerk will get his shot. Whether or not he will win the job?
We'll see.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Bolt View Post
Gordon is on rookie contract, relatively cheap. I think he would make a great change of pace/third down back the next couple of years, complimented by, and then replaced by Fournette. Now, I can think of 4 or 5 players I'd take in the top ten....defensive guys...but if they are gone, and this guy is bpa, I think you pull the trigger, and run with the aforementioned plan. I really like Gordon, but I don't think he is built to last as a feature back for more than a few years. I hope the pick is better spent, but wouldn't be broken hearted to add a guy like Fournette.
I'd love an explanation as to why, because I bet I could find many more players who have had long careers who are more MG's body type than LF's. Guys who can't or won't avoid contact tend to get worn down quickly. And the next time Fournette avoids someone might be the first.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Your opinion is as valid as any on the CMB. I wouldn't rank you over the paid draft analysts & coaches. We know the analysts and the Chargers GM & scouts hold Tuerk in relatively high esteem as an NFL C prospect. It remains to be seen what the Chargers coaching staff think when OTAs, mini camp and TC get going. We can be sure Tuerk will get his shot. Whether or not he will win the job?
We'll see.
You're completely right. I mean they held Fluker and Watt in relatively high esteem as an OT and OC prospect respectively and they were dead on on that analysis.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Not sure why his draft spot is being brought up since it has zero to do with anything pertaining to actual talent. Okung has proven by his play thus far to be a mediocre LT at best and is basically a lateral move from Dunlap.
You could also say that Okung has proven he can play at a Pro Bowl and Super Bowl winning level. Your call.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Minus the concussions....
Old 03-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Hall of Famer

OK, here's our running backs.

1. Melvin Gordon. Workhorse. 3 downs. Receiver.
2. Kenneth Farrow. First backup. No deep speed but hands, pass pro, size are a plus.
3. Andre Williams. Power runner. Short yardage. Completely deficient in passing game.
4. Derek Watt. Fullback. Undersized. No elite traits. Decent role player.

No one is saying Fournette is not a top 10 pick, but where exactly does he fit ?
There are round seven running backs in this draft.

Missing ? Woodhead type. See woodMock v7.3 ...

Mike Williams WR clemson
Tyus Bowser SAM houston
Isaac Asiata ORG utah
Eddie Vanderdoes DL ucla
Wayne Gallman RB clemson
Brendan Langley CB lamar TX
David Jones S richmond